Ceres near Alnath in Taurus next few days

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

The asteroid Ceres is near the 1.7 magnitude star Alnath in Taurus for the next few days, less than a degree away til about the 8th. I made some finder charts for it too, which can be found here.

http://eyesonthesky....es-Why-yes-y...

Vesta was easy to see a few weeks ago when it was pretty close to Aldebaran, and I was excited to have spotted it with simple binoculars. Ceres is a bit dimmer now compared to Vesta a few weeks back, but I expect that if the sky is transparent enough, I shouldn't have any trouble making out this one either - unless the light from Alnath washes out the dimmer asteroid.

Anyone else taking a look at this object this week?

#2 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I was out last night with the 12" dob and tried with both the 2" 30mm EP (1.3*, 51x) and the 1.25" 25mm EP (0.8*, 61x) and was not able to see a "star" that was near mag 8 that Ceres is currently supposed to be. My seeing is just above bad right now but I can see 11th mag Star E in Orion's Trapezium most of the time. Am I looking too closely to Elnath or am I assuming Ceres will appear more obvious than it does?

#3 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Charles, it should be right there. Here's the Sky and Tel chart; Ceres is less than a degree from Alnath for the next day or two:

http://media.skyandt..._CeresVesta.pdf

Note that my chart is a little more detailed and close up, but the location of the object is the same over time.

#4 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

seen tonight for the first time. it is also my first asteroid. Stellar appearance but reasonably bright for a "star"

#5 JMac85X

JMac85X

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

I thought Ceres was a dwarf planet?

#6 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Your right, it is currently classified as a dwarf planet. Used to be considered an asteroid. But next year the Dawn spacecraft will orbit Ceres and it's secrets will be revealed. I am very anxious. We always learn things that surprise us and it may change our view of what constitutes a planet.

#7 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

A rose by any other name ...

Regardless of the name, it is still what it is. I still call it an asteroid.

#8 Love Cowboy

Love Cowboy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Dude... don't bump old threads... I was reading this going "*BLEEP* Ceres is in Virgo?"

#9 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

I am a man, an American, a bachelor, etc. all at the same time. Ceres is both a Dwarf Planet and Asteroid #1. The category Dwarf Planet was dreamed up to calm down those who disliked the reclassification of Pluto as a Kuiper Belt Object, Trans-Neptunian Object and Asteroid #134340. Pluto is all those and the more recent designation Plutoid. Once the latter category was developed to further dignify the name Pluto, the term Dwarf Planet became rather pointless. I don't use it. Hail Ceres, King of the Asteroids!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics