CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ceres near Alnath in Taurus next few days

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

The asteroid Ceres is near the 1.7 magnitude star Alnath in Taurus for the next few days, less than a degree away til about the 8th. I made some finder charts for it too, which can be found here.

http://eyesonthesky....es-Why-yes-y...

Vesta was easy to see a few weeks ago when it was pretty close to Aldebaran, and I was excited to have spotted it with simple binoculars. Ceres is a bit dimmer now compared to Vesta a few weeks back, but I expect that if the sky is transparent enough, I shouldn't have any trouble making out this one either - unless the light from Alnath washes out the dimmer asteroid.

Anyone else taking a look at this object this week?

#2 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I was out last night with the 12" dob and tried with both the 2" 30mm EP (1.3*, 51x) and the 1.25" 25mm EP (0.8*, 61x) and was not able to see a "star" that was near mag 8 that Ceres is currently supposed to be. My seeing is just above bad right now but I can see 11th mag Star E in Orion's Trapezium most of the time. Am I looking too closely to Elnath or am I assuming Ceres will appear more obvious than it does?

#3 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Charles, it should be right there. Here's the Sky and Tel chart; Ceres is less than a degree from Alnath for the next day or two:

http://media.skyandt..._CeresVesta.pdf

Note that my chart is a little more detailed and close up, but the location of the object is the same over time.

#4 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

seen tonight for the first time. it is also my first asteroid. Stellar appearance but reasonably bright for a "star"

#5 JMac85X

JMac85X

Mariner 2

• Loc: California

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

I thought Ceres was a dwarf planet?

#6 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Your right, it is currently classified as a dwarf planet. Used to be considered an asteroid. But next year the Dawn spacecraft will orbit Ceres and it's secrets will be revealed. I am very anxious. We always learn things that surprise us and it may change our view of what constitutes a planet.

#7 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

A rose by any other name ...

Regardless of the name, it is still what it is. I still call it an asteroid.

#8 Love Cowboy

Love Cowboy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Dude... don't bump old threads... I was reading this going "*BLEEP* Ceres is in Virgo?"

#9 Centaur

Centaur

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

I am a man, an American, a bachelor, etc. all at the same time. Ceres is both a Dwarf Planet and Asteroid #1. The category Dwarf Planet was dreamed up to calm down those who disliked the reclassification of Pluto as a Kuiper Belt Object, Trans-Neptunian Object and Asteroid #134340. Pluto is all those and the more recent designation Plutoid. Once the latter category was developed to further dignify the name Pluto, the term Dwarf Planet became rather pointless. I don't use it. Hail Ceres, King of the Asteroids!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics