• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 ejjh

ejjh

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Ed Thomas...I see what you're saying about moving the plate down. Anyway, I know I am reasonably well polar aligned. I did have SUCCESS TONIGHT! I took off some stuff and rebalanced everything. Then I went to utilities and went to factory settings. I had to enter all the info...state, city, time, etc. Then I did a 2+4 and a precise-go to M42. Dead on after hitting the go to star. In Maxim DL it tracked with no star drift for 60 sec. I tried to autosave, set image path in my flash drive, but then as I hit start, the error message came up "Cannot autosave sequence because of no sequence" or something like that. Never happened before. Remember I have a Starlight Xpress one-shot color M25C camera, so I don't autoguide.

#27 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Ed Thomas...I see what you're saying about moving the plate down. Anyway, I know I am reasonably well polar aligned. I did have SUCCESS TONIGHT! I took off some stuff and rebalanced everything. Then I went to utilities and went to factory settings. I had to enter all the info...state, city, time, etc. Then I did a 2+4 and a precise-go to M42. Dead on after hitting the go to star. In Maxim DL it tracked with no star drift for 60 sec. I tried to autosave, set image path in my flash drive, but then as I hit start, the error message came up "Cannot autosave sequence because of no sequence" or something like that. Never happened before. Remember I have a Starlight Xpress one-shot color M25C camera, so I don't autoguide.

I don't really know Maxim DL so someone else will have to address that. But if reducing the load helped, then I would definitely look at relocating that latitude adjustment mechanism since it could be a flexure point with the increased load. I would probably also consider autoguiding. At f/11 with the C14, even shorter exposures migth be a challenge.

#28 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

Off hand I would say that adding the C-6 piggybacked is overloading the mount thus causing something to slip.
If it is a clutch you may be able to adjust it to fix the problem.
If you are wanting to guide to just keep the scope on target you could use one of the small "Finder/guides" and save a lot of weight.
You could also get a bigger mount to solve the weight problem.

#29 ejjh

ejjh

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

TX...Did you read that I got the problem of star trailing to stop by resetting to factory default? Before that I removed some stuff but left the 6" OTA on and balanced in RA and DEC. Today I added everything back in a different more balanced way. I have problems with getting to my observatory. I use a snowmobile, so I can't just walk out there. I'm closing in on solving this. The CGE Pro is well able to handle my add-ons. One Crayford has to go, though.

Attached Files

#30 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

I read that you got it to not drift for 60 sec with stuff taken off, but not with everything on.

#31 ejjh

ejjh

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

TX....I will do the rebalancing today but will have to wait until I get a cloudless night (which may be a week or more looking ahead) to redo the factory defaults, 2+4, etc. Will post results at that time.

#32 ejjh

ejjh

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

TX...As to balancing my add-ons in RA, which included another 80mm scope to offset the PST, two Imaging Source cameras, and two finderscopes... one on each side of the 14" OTA...the process was a trial and error process, but successful. In balancing all this stuff in DEC, I replaced the counterweight tube stop knob with a slightly longer bolt and washer and the four counterweights were able to offset the loaded system.

Now all I have to do is wait for a cloudless night to go to factory defaults of the mount and do the 2+4. I should be good to go!

#33 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

In balancing all this stuff in DEC, I replaced the counterweight tube stop knob with a slightly longer bolt and washer and the four counterweights were able to offset the loaded system.

That's RA balance. How does declination balance look?

#34 ejjh

ejjh

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

John...did I screw up the terms? Both RA and DEC balance well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics