Motorized CG4 Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just had my CG4 motorized. I am new at this, so please excuse what may seem stupid questions; but I don't want to burn anything out or strip it out.

1. Will I have to use the motors to move the scope in RA and DEC (I know I would have to to maintain polar alignment), or can I slew it (in DEC) by releasing the clutches. My understanding is that I have to use the motor in RA, there is no "manual" method.
2. The motors use a 6V battery pack (4 "D" batteries). I have a 6V 750ma power converter (- is the inside of the plug, + for outer side of the plug, but can be reversed). Which is the proper polarity setup for the power converter for use with the motors (instead of using the battery pack).
3. Any other power recommendations--Note this is a 6V, not 12V system...

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Randy, When you release the RA clutch on the mount you can slew by hand as the RA motor only engages when the mount RA clutch is tightened. I see no reason why releasing both clutches and slewing by hand would have any effect on polar alignment.
BTW are you planning on doing AP? If not you may find that the DEC motor is of little use with decent polar alignment. If this is the case you might consider removing the DEC motor and re-attaching the DEC slow-mo cable. That is why I got the RA motor only.

Also I have found that the batteries last quite a long time in particular when you minimize slewing with the motors. If the scope is well balanced at the beginning you can slew by hand to a target and it will not move while you tighten the clutches thus minimizing motor slewing. But I do carry around an extra 4-pack of batteries although when the batteries run low it is the slewing by motor that is more effected then the tracking itself.

Eric

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Have the DEC motor as well, but I also still have the DEC slow mo control knob with it's own separate clutch. I have the option of using the motor or Slomo for DEC only. Lost the RA slomo though.

I keep the scope balanced, but have not even put the scope on the mount since the motors were installed (The scope shop installed them for me, and I know they do good work).

I have marked the dovetail with the balance point, that shouldn't change with the motors.

The lady told me I lost the RA, and I just misunderstood her to mean I had to use the motors. Good to know I can still slew it around manually.

Thanks Loads!!

#4 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Your welcome, I find that observing solar system targets is so much more relaxing with a drive.

Eric

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

That's why I got it. I'm not into AP, it was more just for the leasurely stroll of the brighter sky objects, especially the planets. Really want to put those UO OPS Planetary orthos to use. The motors should do that for me.

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

The center pin is positive.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics