• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I mentioned this in another CN forum, but I think it is more appropriate here:

Remote DSLR tethered shooting and LiveView

There are fancy solutions. Basically it is to "making the Camera's USB cable disappear and still use all USB functions wirelessly". I.e., set all DSLR parameters, LiveView display, snap a picture, set a capture plan and shooting.
Some camera mfgs make them and make them only for limited models (and charge them $$$ accordingly, hint hint.) They are expensive and designed for pros.

The big teaser is: some talented developers have almost worked out a very inexpensive wireless solution that
- has a tiny size
- not expensive (about $60)
- connect to DSLR thru USB
- connect to the remote end thru WiFi
- the remote end may be a PC or a smartphone (Android)

Few hints:
- It's a PTP to PTP/IP bridge.
- IP transmission is done through WiFi 2.4GHz b/g/n 1x1 (max. 72 Mbps).
- The workable tiny device (for now) is WU-1a, still work in progress.
- All credit goes to the talented developer(s) Joefitz joefitz.com

Also note: there is another possible solution: using USB/IP then WiFi the IP transmission.

P.S. some high-end DSLR/Mirrorless have such function built-in (e.g., Panny GH3) to the camera body.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

P.S. yes I know people can use a local PC (then Wifi VNC into it) to avoid the long cable. May even be using a Raspberry Pi. But I think tiny size, low cost, and low power consumption are big pluses.

There is another possible solution which is using a Arduino with BT in one side and "USB Shield" in the other. The solution is limited to 2.1Mbps (BT Piconet) and also limited by BT transmission power/no repeater. linkie <-- completed project. Ready to use.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

The mobile platforms ready for this application are Arm Linux and Android. ARM Linux already has Gphoto2 which currently has a problem to issue the second command and usb timeout, making it impossible for a bulb exposure. I have tested Gphoto2 on Raspberry Pi, MK802+ (A10 single core) and MK808 (RK3066 dual core). All has the same usb-timeout problem.

The second platform that can support image downloading is Android. There are several apps at the moment. Only DSLRdashboard offers TCP/IP communication for remote control. It is also open-sourced.
http://code.google.c.../dslrdashboard/
http://code.google.c...iki/NetworkMode
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1256583

The neatest solution is the Android TV stick connected to a DSLR and a client via a built-in wifi.

Best regards,
Anat

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

...Android TV stick connected to a DSLR and a client via a built-in wifi.

Best regards,
Anat

Thanks Anat!
Mass production of consumer goods is the key factor.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

... Only DSLRdashboard offers TCP/IP communication for remote control. It is also open-sourced.
...http://code.google.c...iki/NetworkMode

Good find. I think it's a flavor of PTP/IP.

Nikon one is also a flavor of PTP/IP; probably is more official "CIPA DC-005-2005" portion of the document Copyright FotoNation, Inc.)

P.S. the second post Bluetooth linkie also has the wireless component but no details about it (PTP over BT PAN, maybe.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#6 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I bought the Canon 6D a few weeks ago. It has built in Wifi. There is an IOS, Windows or OSX app that will allow you to do live view, camera control, image downloads without a USB tether. I found the iPad to be very useful for focusing my camera lens when on the IOtron SkyTracker.

I hope the BackYard EOS will be updated this year to take advantage of full wifi camera control.

I want to do Hyperstar imaging this summer. I hope that wifi will allow me to focus and image without a diffraction causing USB cable to my Canon 6D.

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Jeff,

Yep. High-end DSLR may have built-in WiFi (inside is PTP/IP over WiFi) like your 6D, Panny GH3, etc. It's included in the camera price tag :) .

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#8 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Now, the best solution is:

- DslrDashBoard server + TP-Link TL-MR3040 (with Openwrt) connected to a DSLR.The router has a built-in battery.
- and DslrDashBoard on a Android device.

https://github.com/h...DashboardServer
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J_sfvSelj-Q

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Now I've received the toy. Will have to mod it a bit to be used in my new Nikon :) :)

Attached Files

#10 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

When inserted into N's micro 8-pin socket...
(Dry run only! Need to mod WU-1a a little bit to wake up this PTP/IP bridge with WiFi for wireless.)

Attached Files

#11 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Wow, that's cool. I used 20-m USB cords to do the same thing. The benefit being bandwidth. Your other problem is going to be your guidecamera. It requires a consistently fast USB 2.0 connection (for most cameras) to work properly and they are fairly sensitive. Your best option? Put a laptop at the 'rig, and run ethernet to it. Then, VNC to that setup and control it remotely.

Just my .02 after fighting with the 'perfect' setup for 2 years.

Good luck!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics