A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I decided that it was time to come up with a new idea to replace the older CG-5 equatorial mount shown in one of my previous builds shown here carrying the 4.5". So I came up with the idea to build a pillow block model that would allow me to use four of my main instruments. It must accomodate the 4.5" f/10 A Jaegers Homebuilt Refractor,the 5" f/9 Yulin(Apogee) refractor, the 8-inch f/6 Hardin(GSO) and the 6.5" f/8 Galileo newt(under refurbishment).

Attached Files

#2 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

I had an old Meade EQ mount that had 1" diameter precision steel shafts . The Meade unit had a non operating clock drive and useless for what i wanted to do.

After reading some CN posts on pillow block bearing mounts, I decided to build one utilizing some parts from the Meade. I liked the precision shafts involved and began planning for this new unit. I began with the disassembly of the meade, and decided to make the Meade's decination axis my new mount's Right Ascension axis. The Hardin had been riding this mount.

Attached Files

#3 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Cool. I'm subscribing to this to see how it goes.

obin :jump:

#4 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I dissembled the Meade mount. Parts from top to bottom- RA Drive Cover, 2- 1" pillow block bearings,RA Circle hub, Cradle to join pedestal,Declination Axis ,Right Asension Axis Drive assembly, with clock drive attached.

Attached Files

#5 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Another shot. Note how easily the declination shaft fits into the 1" inside diameter pillow blocks.Also shown is the drive assembly and parts, none of which will be used in this build.

Attached Files

#6 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

For what it is worth that is a Starfinder EQ you are disassembling. Before you toss out any old parts please let me know. I might be able to use them.

obin ;)

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

A Classic, old-school mount concept. I love it! Keep updating!

Looks like self-aligning pillow blocks, yes?

#8 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks guys. The next phase involved the removal of some light rust on the Right Ascension shaft. The pictures above were made before the rust was taken off the shaft.
With the four pillow blocks in hand I needed a shaft for the declination axis, and bought a 48-inch long x 1" diameter shaft from a firm called onlinemetalsupply for a price of only $13.77. My starting point to the correct length for this shaft was to work it to a shorter length depending upon what scope would be mounted up there.

#9 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

I began to see how this mount would come togather, and I made a few rough sketches,nothing major.this would be the easiest and simplest of assemblies, that would be very cost efficient. The best way I chose to approach this would be to obtain 3 pieces of 1/2" thick x 6" #6061 Aluminum Flat Bar .
In the picture, from top left to bottom right are the following parts-
Declination axis bearing plate: holds the 2 pillow block bearings and the shaft itself.
Right Ascension axis bearing plate: holds RA axis and its pillow block bearings.
Mounting Cradle.
Next to the cradle is a little piece of specifically cut 3/4" thick x 3" x 3"x 3" aluminum #6061 wedge. How important is this? Without it I would not be able to connect the mount to the cradle and to the pedestal base, and I cut this with my band saw.
2 pieces of 3" 1 1/2" aluminum angle.
12-2" Stainless Steel Bolts, and matching nuts. Four bolts,nuts and 2 washers each of the 3 plates.
24- washers.
The nylon block would serve as a declination axis slo-motion. To be cut as needed.

Attached Files

#10 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

A few days later I started the assembly of this mount.You may wonder why I chose #6061 Aluminum parts for this project- its because this is extremely strong yet light . The old declination shaft of the Meade is now the Right asension axis of the new pillow block mount.
In the forefront, you can see that the wedge is attached to the cradle and the 2 angle pieces are joined to the base of that wedge. Four holes, two in each angle and four in the RA axis plate will allow the wedge to be mounted to the base of the Right Ascension axis assembly.
The aluminum bar is only a piece that was removed from the declination plate.

Attached Files

#11 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

obin :waytogo:

#12 neo

neo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Iasi, Romania

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Looks great! Keep posting with lots of pics :).
It looks like the RA shaft could use a bit o trimming. Seems a bit long. But being steel, I know it's bit discouraging.
Do you have a drive for DEC shaft too?

#13 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

The plan is to trim the axis lengths soon as the clock drive is attached and placed and the counterweights have been settled upon.. I certainly would want them shorter to lighten the weight of the mount.The Dec. axis at 48 inches will be shortened to 30", which seems to be the optimal length for the 8" which is the heaviest of the scopes that will be used on it and also the number of counterweights I have.

#14 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Leave room for some worm gear drives!

#15 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

My pillow block 1" uses tapped base pillow blocks. It's very compact since the pillow blocks don't have the mounting flanges.

#16 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Gary....Copy Cat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yeah Mikey! :smirk: I always liked the design concept,and Bremms the pillow blocks do fit plush against the plates. One feature I incorporated into each plate were the slightly large bolt holes for the bearings. This allowed me to line the declination axis directly in front of the RA axis, critical for proper scope balance and to help protect the drive .
The Pipe Cap with the mounting wedge fits a 4" inside diameter pipe, so I searched and found a local supplier and purchased for $60.00 a section of 9 feet long 4" inside diameter x 1/4" thick section , and the two pedestals would be made from these. I needed to cut this pipe into two sections,and the company cut it into 5' and 4' lengths for easy transportation in my truck.

Attached Files

#18 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Even though the supplier cut these for me, I still had to prepare them for the proper size. For the refractor pedestal to be effective for me due to my height,I would need to look at the RA axis assembly without bending and also to train the refractors at something in the zenith without bending that much.I did not see how these pipes would be trimmed with a mere hacksaw, so I consulted with my Protege Mel Dawson of Riverview FL, and he suggested I buy an angle grinder to make the necessary cuts.I got ahold of one and bought some cutting discs. That got the job done after a lot of intense sparking. It's a great tool to have!!
Having two sets of three legs from a couple of Edmund pedestals it was a simple matter to mount them to each pipe, and I replaced those wingnuts with stainless steel nuts and bolts.

Attached Files

#19 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Here's pictures of each Pedestal, after the legs were mounted up. The unfinished refractor unit.

Attached Files

#20 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Reflector pedestal. With each put togather, it is now time to make sure that they are at the correct height for my requirements. each Pedestal will have its own legs,one set coming from the old VersaPed. In these views I just used one set for these images.

Attached Files

#21 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I started with some of the modifications to the pedestals. In this image, I decided to work on the Reflector unit.

Attached Files

#22 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Using the angle grinder three slits cut equidistant all around were made on the top of each pedestal. This so that the scope connecting piece( for lack of a better name) can seat and be bolted into place. Here is a view of that part.This is also made of 6061 aluminum . The three screws fit into the slots on the top. A small bolt will be added to the pedestal bracket to help with the altitude adjustment and stability.

Attached Files

#23 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Joining the mount support to the pedestal was a snap! But for esier transfering of the mount from pedestal to pedestal was made even easier by slotting the top.

Attached Files

#24 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thanks to the work with my new angle grinder, I was able to slot the pedestal top for the mount assembly thus.

Attached Files

#25 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Another view.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics