Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Full Refractor pedestal view.

Attached Files

#52 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I had a couple of small nylon plastic pieces and utilizing the small aluminum strip left over from the downsizing of the Right Ascension axis, I built a declination slo motion control to allow easy and smooth movement . It was made from 2 pieces cut exacly alike that was designed to fit half the way over the shaft itself. Two 5-inch bolts on either side of the Dec. shaft itself,each long enough to go through the plate and locked into place with nuts and washers gives the required motions. You can also see the underside of the RA Axis Assembly. The 4.5" Jaegers is the scope in the cradle.

Attached Files

#53 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Same mount on the reflector Pedestal carrying the 8 f/6 Hardin.This image shows the new 30" precision shaft and bearings I recently added . Testing will begin soon and the clock drive will soon be wired to go. Stay tuned!

Attached Files

#54 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

See how all this is going to look right uptown? What's nice about pillow block mounts are the real basic beef parts are simple and quick to put together. Plus they have numerous places where you can add "stuff" without dealing with curved surfaces to tap into etc. Then when you coat them with a nice crinkle finish they do indeed look quite "industrial" and operate like it too! Yeah they aren't meant to be portable grab 'n goes they are for semi and permanent setups. It'll look first class Gary. Guess what Gary? Something tells me you aren't going to stop at one unit or 1" for that matter. I see more in your future. :lol: Mike

#55 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Mikey, you never know what what may happen down the road! This unit and its parts are far from completion however. I still have to construct a couple of three-wheeled tridollys for these pedestals to sit on so that I can roll the scope out to use, in addition to cleaning, priming and painting the main components. The amazing part about this project is the cost. The four pillow blocks cost about $40.00 (off of ebay) the pedestal pipe cost $60 plus tax and I bought it locally, and the three aluminum plates that comprise the axis assemblies and the cradle cost about $50.00, a very inexpensive way to build a high quality pillow block GEM. In fact, ebay was the source for just about everything involving this build.

#56 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Awesome build Gary!

#57 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Okay G :cool:, everything is looking awesome. :bow: :bow: :bow: But now let's get together so we can get this bad boy wired and powered up! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Mel

#58 neo

neo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Iasi, Romania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Oh man I really like what I see, I really do! :jump: :jump:

I'm very qurious how one of these well built pillow block mounts would stand against one of those comercial monsters in terms of precision for imaging :question:? Of course with a drive like this Byers.

#59 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Soon I will be removing part of the Right Ascension Axis utilizing the angle grinder. The plan is to take off enough of the overhang to leave 1 inch behind the Byers,and no change will be made to the Declination axis.

This mount can be made to even better tolerances than this and has great potential for very good precision astronomical applications.

#60 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Gary remember to leave a little more than you think you need. Because you can'r add it back on at least with out a splice! :crazy: Mike

#61 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'll keep that in mind, Mikey. I plan to take advantage of this good weather to put this mount through its motions. BTW Had a great time last evening with Pontchartrain Astronomy Society members Jack Huerkamp and Brian Lecompte observing Comet Panstarrs !!! Thanks Guys ! :waytogo:

#62 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Gary have you ever felt such a smooth feel on any other mounting?? A person can't get a better operating mount like these. Plus the cost is probably 1/10 the total invested in a boughten one! :shocked: Mike

#63 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Mikey, the feel is smooth with no herky-jerky movements. I can move the scope into almost any position without difficulty.People may be very surprised at the cost to build one of these - not bad at all!! My buddy Mel Dawson will be starting on one soon after he completes his 6" f/10 GJD refractor. I will be heading out again with the astronomy club guys for more comet viewing, but upon return I plan to set up the 8 inch scope for more mount testing. Looking like another spectacular evening is shaping up here. Gary

#64 neo

neo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Iasi, Romania

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

Beautifully simple and straightforward mount you got there Gary :waytogo: :waytogo:! I really like it! What you'll goona use to drive the DEC shaft? Are you plan on any means of adjusting in Alt/Az for polar aligning?

#65 Dave O

Dave O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sri Lanka

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

See how all this is going to look right uptown? What's nice about pillow block mounts are the real basic beef parts are simple and quick to put together. Plus they have numerous places where you can add "stuff" without dealing with curved surfaces to tap into etc. Then when you coat them with a nice crinkle finish they do indeed look quite "industrial" and operate like it too! Yeah they aren't meant to be portable grab 'n goes they are for semi and permanent setups. It'll look first class Gary. Guess what Gary? Something tells me you aren't going to stop at one unit or 1" for that matter. I see more in your future. :lol: Mike

I am not familiar with these bearings; but am curious as to how one handles the axial thrust loads?

A pretty interesting thread, learning lots. Thanks for sharing. Dave O

#66 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi Dave! Thanks for your interest!
How much load bearing put on this unit depends entirely on the weight of the scope that will be used upon it. This was built to handle an 8" f/6 Newtonian, plus three others all lighter than the first one. These pillow blocks are reasonably priced, light industrial strength quality. I believe that this unit can carry up to a short 10" newt with the proper counter weights attached well. It is very tight no loose parts and well balanced.Another thing; the 1-inch shaft can accept barbell weights with a 1" center hole. If you're considering one of these, I recommend using PRECISION steel shafts for RA and Dec. with no shorter than 12" length for the RA axis and no longer than 30" for the declination axis. My RA axis is too long and will be shortened considerably to 1.5" beyond the clock drive. You can have fun building one like this, and as I said before, it not that expensive. Gary

#67 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hey Neo ! To address the question about the declination drive, that will be added later .I originally considered using an Opti-craft Machine model but in view of the recent activities involving them I will hold off on that for now. The mount's altitude is controlled by two screws on the pipecap atop the pedestal base,on the pipecap's left side facing the mount from the rear. The larger one has a hexhead female opening on top of it and the other is a regular 1" bolt and both of these thread into the pipecap. It is a simple matter to lower or raise the altitude of the head by loosening or tightening these. I will add altitude gradations to this mount after the painting and priming is done.

#68 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I've been out awhile attending to various matters and its time to update the latest progress with this build. I set up the mount in reflector mode for a test run last evening, without the drive connected to see how efficient it is and trained it on a few celestial objects. I'm happy to report that this unit performed better than expected, a 100% improvement over the cg-5 I had before. I did some minor tweaking of the Dec. slo-mo and got the scope balanced on all sides so that the it stayed in position no matter where the scope was pointed. Great steady braking using the slo-mo on the declination axis, and I spent nearly an hour under the stars with the system.
What's next ? The refractor mode tests using the 4.5" f/10 Jaegers and 5-inch f/9 Apogee scopes to be conducted to night weather permitting. And the connection of the RA Byers Drive as well in a few days . Presently I'm awaiting the arrival of a small aluminum box , and also got a power cord for the drive converting one I already had from an old pc. This box will be screwed to the underside of the RA axis plate to help protect the drive's electrical connections from exposure to excessive moisture so common to this area .So the work on the build continues! Some views of the system as set up last night with the scope pointed at Jupiter.
Gary(G:cool:)

Attached Files

#69 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Scope aimed at M45(1432) Pleiades.

Attached Files

#70 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

It's been a while since my last report on this build and all kinds of things have happened in the interim that has kept me from getting back on track here. I still need to complete the refractor tests and hook up the drive system . The plan is to take one step at a time until I finish. I'm off from work this weekend and will get the set up done for refractor mode. Clear Skies,Gary

#71 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Gary that is a very uptown setup you have there. Like you said pillow block mountings are cheap for what you get and some people not in the know would be very surprized I'm quite sure. With my mounting you probably could easily out do a commercial mount costing $10,000+. Sure no goto but heck I'm old school anyway and don't want goto. A mount like mine would probably cost $2,500 bucks to build it yourself. My PB's cost $90 each back 30 years ago but new ones today run about $400-$500 each. Even tho' $2500 is a lot of doughit's still way cheaper than a likewise commercial mount. I like that setup of your's with the large newt because it has that "it means business" look to it. After all large professional observatories all have that utilitarian industrial look....do they not? :waytogo: Mike

#72 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, Mike! I have been busy lately but I finally got around to getting some work in on the Reflector base pipe and toes. I took the toes off and dropped the base pipe on my workbench and made some preparations to begin sanding it down before priming and got a view of it before the work began.

Attached Files

#73 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Sanding of the short base pipe completed. I was able to remove the dust left over from the process. It had a light coat of paint to keep it from rusting and this came off rather easily.

Attached Files

#74 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

I decided to go with a is supposed to be a very good primer for my pieces, and also picked up the first cans of spray paint for use when the primer is fully dried.

Attached Files

#75 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Next I sanded the toes as well.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics