A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#76 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I removed as much of the old material off the toes as possible, including those spots after the last image was taken. Base pipe and toes first layer of primer added .Being as humid as it is here, I did'nt want the bare metals to rust.

Attached Files

#77 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

I also decided to start on the Refractor Base pipe too. It was also laid down onto the workbench in preparation for sanding down.

Attached Files

#78 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Got this piece sanded down,so the next step is to take care of the toes for this base too.I'll need to get an extra can of the primer,so I can have enough to double coat both bases and their toes.

Attached Files

#79 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hey G :cool:,

You did a great job of the stripping the paint off your pedestal posts! They definitely look quite ready for priming. Just get them primed quick. You already know how bad that humidity is there. :(

I look forward to your next step.

Mel

#80 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thanks Mel. I will be heading to the hardware store to pick up another can of primer tomorrow. The plan is to have these parts primed for painting before the rainy weekend. Gary

#81 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I just found out that I had a little more than half a can of primer left, and that allowed me to prime the refractor Pedestal and its toes. After allowing a two hour dry time for the primer, I went to the first step in the color scheme. The reflector base pedestal and a set of toes were spray-painted teal blue.

Attached Files

#82 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Refractor Pedestal.

Attached Files

#83 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Toes for the Reflector Pedestal.

#84 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

The paint job on both pedestals look great, Gary! Look out for those phantom strong breezes, which could allow lord klutz to do what he does best. :shocked: :grin:

Mel

#85 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Mel, I just completed the painting of the other set of toes in black. I plan to let all parts dry and outgas over the next couple of days. In the interim, I will soon begin dismantling the pillow block mount so that its parts can be sanded primed and painted. Toes in Black : BTW the blue showing on the tips of these toes are reflections from the nearby blue reflector pedestal and are not part of the color of those toes !!

Attached Files

#86 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Back on the build again. I took this view of the mount on my workbench. I will soon begin to dismantle it so that the various parts can be painted. I will be making a few modifications to this unit along the way, including taking an inch off both sides of the cradle plate. When I'm done with the disassembly, I'll post some more pictures. G:cool:

Attached Files

#87 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi Bam!

I can not wait to see the end results of you efforts with this build! :jump:

Mel

#88 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

I got around to disassembling the pillow block mount so that the parts may be primed and painted. The only parts that will not see painting and priming are the Byers Drive, RA and Declination shafts.

Attached Files

#89 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

It's been quite a while since my last post on this project,having attending to family, work, and transportation matters. What's cool is that starting on 7/3, I will have eight scheduled days off from work. The hardest part of the project is behind me, so the plan is to finish up during that time, and to post pictures along the way.

#90 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hey G :cool:!

I am crossing my fingers that you can get your EQ mount project completed during those days you have off. We are all looking forward to seeing the end results of your efforts. :jump:

Good luck!

Mel

#91 AlphaGJohn

AlphaGJohn

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, Utah

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

This is so encouraging! I've had a pillow-block mount for some years, but it has never worked as well as I'd hoped it would. I can see several ways to improve it to the point that it could work well now. (First thing is to do something better with the lousy pedestal it's on--vibrates like a low-pitched tuning fork.)

I'm curious about the details of your declination brake/slo-mo. I have wondered about getting some gears for manual slo-mo controls made from nylon or delrin disks that could serve as both clutch and manual slo-mo.

Any rate, best of luck and many of us will be excited to see the results.

John

#92 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi John and Mel! Thanks for your input, guys! Mel, the GJD refractor looks fantastic! looking forward to more observing reports my friend , and I'm excited to resume this project again. John, I'm also looking forward to hearing more about your mount as well and also to see some pictures. Once the priming and painting is done on my mount and parts, it'll be reassembled for testing again. I'll bring each pedestal out and see how the mount works with them weather permitting. I'll also need to check mine for flexure issues too, because during the first test phases I noticed some especially when the 8" was being tested. However the tests were generic. The pedestal toes were added but not tightened to the pedestal pipe as tightly as normal because I knew that I would be disassembling the unit . Also I plan to upgrade the pedestal leg bolts and nuts to stainless steel to get a greater lockup between the legs and pedestals.
I have considered adding some gravel or pebbles to the inside of each pedestal to help damp vibration some more. This will make each assembly heavier, but I will be adding wheels to each for easier movement .
For declination axis slo mo, I went with a half nylon plate two sandwiched pieces with an aluminum bar that fit over and accross the dec axis from the outside with two screws on opposite sides long enough to fit through the dec assembly plate for tightening down. This unit is shown in the pic of the disassembled mount , and works well for my needs No slo mo for the RA axis, the drive's friction clutch works for that. Clear Skies, G:cool:

#93 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Recently, I prepped the RA plate, Declination Plate, Cradle Plate ,Clock Drive housing motor plate angle bracket, the mount to pedestal wedge and RA angle brackets for priming.

Attached Files

#94 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Primer was applied to each part. I also removed almost two inches from the Scope cradle plate.

Attached Files

#95 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Painting of all mount parts completed and will be allowed to outgas before reassembly.

Attached Files

#96 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Painting completed of both Pedestal bases. These have been outgassing especially the Reflector version since the stripes were applied. I added a Vega Sky Center sticker made by Mel Dawson to each.

Attached Files

#97 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Looking good, G :cool:!!! Can't wait to see the completed EQ head atop anyone of these piers. Congrats!

Mel

#98 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

I'm finally getting back to this project and getting close to its completion . On Sunday I got around to finishing the wiring of the Byers drive unit with assistance from my friend Mel Dawson. I had an old computer power cord that I used and it only took a few minutes to complete the task. This view shows the power cord connected to the drive . Mr. Byers supplied a capacitor with the unit. In this set up ,the power cord, which has a three pronged plug , also has white, black and green(ground) wires. There are four lead wires coming from the drive motor- blue(two) one red and one black .The capacitor was connected, according to the instructions, to the black motor wire and the white wire of the cord(blue cap pointing away) ,the capacitor other end connected to the white cord wire( blue cap pointing down) and the blue and red lines to the black wire of the cord (blue cap pointing up) . The plan is to connect the ground(green) to the RA assembly plate later. G:cool:

Attached Files

#99 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Some Testing of the system with the drive in action , scope aimed at the moon. The drive tracked correctly .

Attached Files

#100 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is probably the heaviest scope that I'll use on this mount. The plan is to saddle up the head to the refractor pedestal so that I can try the 5 inch f/9 Yulin refractor and the 4.5 inch Jaegers refractor this evening . I can foresee five telescopes I can alternate with this unit . I'm currently working on a 6.3" f/8 Newtonian and a 6" f/8 Newtonian that will have a criterion primary, which is currently at OWL for stripping and recoating. G:cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics