Telescope Advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaimeruiz3

jaimeruiz3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Hi im new to Cloudy Nihts and i need some advice.
I want to get my first advanced telescope my others are a celestron 130 eq refractor and an alt-az 60 mm beginer, but i want to get a telescope that might get me a lot of fun and also being capable of some astrophotography. My first 2 options are the Celestron Advanced C6-SGT 6" SCT and the Celestron Nexstar 8SE both have its advantages and disadvantages i know for example the 8SE mount sucks for astrophotography other than planetary and the C6 is 2" smaller than the 8SE and i know also that the SE mount does not have an autoguider port and that both will need a focal leght reducer but what do you think is better? geting the 8SE and later get an EQ mount and aoutoguider? or get the C6 and later get a bigger OTA like the Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph and autogider? i know the CG5 is not the best mount but the others are way out of my budget so im a bit confused please help! :confused:

#2 jaimeruiz3

jaimeruiz3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

PD: I´ve seen than in BH there is also this one: http://www.bhphotovi...advancd_vx_8...
Its $100 cheaper than 8SE its 8" aperture and has advanced VX Mount for 1099 its good? I think it could be the best of both scopes. Any one knows how well does the 8" celestron newtonian performs?

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

If you want to do AP with it later and at the same price, I would suggest the 6"SCT VX. The VX mount has better AP capabilities than the CG-5 mount of the C6-SGT. If you go with the SE you may have a larger SCT, but it will cost you more to update it for AP later.

Stan

#4 jaimeruiz3

jaimeruiz3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

also i found that with the new VX mount there is a 6" SCT if i get a focal Reducer will it work good because my car is a really small Geo Tracker

#5 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like you just answered your question!
Don't let the C6 tube put you off it is a tremendous
scope and it holds its value as well or better than any others. You could sell it in the future in a second!
I'd get the F 6.3 Focal reducer/Field flatener
I use one all the time, objects will photograph as well just a smaller scale you can blow up in processing.
The 6 is my favorite size for beginning ameture Astronomers.
I have never heard a single complaint from anybody that has bought a new one.
You could also check out the used market..
The LXD-75 Meade mount is pretty good for about $450.00 used
I have one and like it better than the CG5
I love the ability to track sattelites the ISS is so cool.
The SN-8 at F4 is perfect for Astrophotography and mine gives as good of Planetary images as most SCT with a better corrected field.

#6 jaimeruiz3

jaimeruiz3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

i liked he LXD-75 but it does not have autoguider port so i think im going for the 6" SCT in the VX

#7 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! My advice is to check out the Imaging Forums- Beginning & Intermediate Imaging has several threads about scopes for AP, and images from members getting into AP. DSLR and CCD are devoted to the camera types, but there's also some very helpful threads in those forums as well.

Good Luck!

#8 jaimeruiz3

jaimeruiz3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

for the camera i have no issue i have a canon eos T3 that i think if from the best ones

#9 jaimeruiz3

jaimeruiz3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

for the camera i have no issue i have a canon eos T3 that i think if from the best ones

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics