Outlook!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

• Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

:dabomb: I realize Microsoft wants everyone on outlook.com instead of hotmail.com; however it's almost unusable with "just" a browser and I refuse to use ANY version of OUTLOOK. :noway: Only 1 email at a time can be deleted or moved with "Outlook" instead of over 2 dozen at a time using "Hotmail". There's no more "select all on page" feature, and the only choice where the menu bars used to be is "arrange"! I can keep my hotmail address, but the web interface is truly heinous! :bangbangbang:

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

As the locats say... "Yr doin it wrng." Something's wrong, anyway. You can select more than one email to send to the trash, at least.

#3 yowser

yowser

Explorer 1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

check the box at the top -- View:All. Then do whatever you want with the checked boxes.
I really like Outlook. I dumped Hotmail and never looked back.

#4 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, I can select, check box, various messages at the same time and delete them.

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Outlook is really good IMO.

#6 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

An update...
After a few hours, (nobody's awake that time of night anyway, right?), the necessary functionality was added as others have stated - typical of Microsoft's piecemeal updates. :4

However... functionality has returned with a few improvements including:
less clutter so...
more emails per screen as promised
and MUCH more responsive!
hence I've gotta say the browser experience is much improved! :waytogo:

Yes, there a few niggles & quibbles remaining, particularly the way the sort priority "forgets" a preferred sort order; but I suspect that's related to the backend as Ye Olde Hotmail did the same thing, not the user interface and it's easy to work around. I predict a great many W8 users will really learn to appreciate Microsoft's version of the walled garden as more software is integrated with their hardware, software, & internet ecosystem. :ubetcha:

As I said, I DO get to keep my hotmail address; but I'm still not buying the Microsoft Kool-Aid. That doesn't mean I'll fall for Google's "Do No Evil" either; even though I'll (eventually) have a Google+ account. ;)

OTOH I think of Facebook as more like a plague and NOT to be trusted to secure, benefit, or profit anyone but Facebook! YMWV :john:

IMHO, anyone with only 1 email provider is acting the fool, with so many DDOS and other attacks; along with the changeover to RV6 the internet is becoming a lot woollier! :scared:

I've got a couple of old machines with XP loaded, and a cheap All-In-One (dual 1.6Ghz Athlon - 4GB RAM) with W7 Home(unfortunately not Pro) for difficult legacy hardware so I've no need for W8. It looks like I'll continue with MSN's outlook.com and a hotmail.com email address as one of my choices; but there's no way I'll use Microsoft's Outlook or Outlook Express client software to handle emails. Different choices for different purposes, benefits & disadvantages - Choices are a GOOD thing! and I appreciate Microsoft's support for alternative browsers and indirect (even non Windows) email methods. :cool:

It's early; and Stuff Happens; however, the new site with better performance is DEFINITELY an UPGRADE (so far, so good). :kitty:

On a side note, this post was interrupted temporarily as Windstream added dedicated wiring for the DSL. NO MORE PHONE CRACKLES! :yay: Speedtest shows 33ms (Fairbury to Plattsmouth) with 13.56Mbps down and 0.62Mbps up. :grin:

#7 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Everything worked for me from the get go. No partial updates. No problems at all.

#8 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Good, there's too many major corporate feet with holes holes in them already. We DON'T need more launch oopses, (Sim City?), lagging certificate updates, or other launch difficulties. The internet is challenging enough already! Apparently there's so few people that experienced difficulties it's below the "noise" level. A good sign. For this forum I'd really rather get on with building my new box, (new motherboard availability is the sticking point); and that will be a topic for a new thread at a later date. :kitty:

I'd rather be observing w/Dave K having some quality 8" & 14" Deep Sky Time, maybe next week, than stuck in front of a keyboard. Though it doesn't look all that whoopee I remain hopeful. !@#$%

Unless others choose to comment on the pains, joys, and other facets of the "new" outlook.com, (for which Microsoft has BIG plans), this thread can be locked as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics