• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rogercelliott

rogercelliott

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Redding, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I want to put swivel wheels on my 10" f/4.5 Newt which weighs about 100 - 150lbs. I was thinking about putting brackets made with 1/4" thick aluminum angle to mount the wheels to so as to keep the mounting the same height and not having to extend the leveling screws so far down and thus making the mount wobbly - I tried it once before. The wheels are about 3.5" in diameter and would raise the telescope 5". The pedestal legs are made of 5x1" wood with plywood triangles for rigidity. So I'm trying to be sure whether or not this will work before I spend $50 on aluminum angle. I've included a pic so you can see what I'm thinking. The 4x4" angle plate would be 5" wide and bolted onto the 5x1" boards which make up the base of each leg. Then a second angle would bolt to that and then the swivel wheel will bolt on that. What do you think?

Thanks for any input!
Roger

Attached Files

#2 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

I did something similar to this for my 120 lb Meade 12" so I could roll it into my garage. The idea was to keep the height low so I could clear the top of the door. I used steel U channel instead of Aluminum because I was concerned the aluminum angle would bend over time. Steel is stronger unless you go to a more exotic aluminum like T-7075. Steel is cheaper but will rust. The U channel was anodized so no rust so far. Also used 4" ball bearing castor wheels from Home depot and welded them to the U channel. I think the single bolt idea will not work well as a pivot. It will gall the aluinum and get loose ever time. Turning will be a problem as well. Ball bearings will take the load. This is still a good idea - I use this scope all the time just by rolling it out of the garage. No lifting!

#3 rogercelliott

rogercelliott

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Redding, CA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

The swivels on the wheels are ball bearing types so the swiveling will not be on the aluminum.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics