Photo

Mallincam Xtreme X2 Daytime Video Imaging?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hi All (once again),
Can you daytime video record with the Mallincam Xtreme X2 video camera? If so, will I be able to play around with the camera (attached to the telescope) and software without blowing sensors or harming the CCD chip, or any part of the video camera for that matter?

Davio R.

#2 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

You can use a Mallincam anytime day or night. Daytime settings are similar to Lunar or planetary settings. The one thing you must do is to have the camera attached to a telescope or lens with some sort of metal adapter such as the MFR-5. The brass C-Mount is used as a heat sink by the cameras TEC. You need to have some metal screwed into the C-Mount to help dissipate the heat from the TEC.

As far as using the Mallincam during the day, it is recommended by some that new users do so to help them learn how to use the camera. That idea hasn't caught on around here yet.

#3 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

You can use a Mallincam anytime day or night. Daytime settings are similar to Lunar or planetary settings. The one thing you must do is to have the camera attached to a telescope or lens with some sort of metal adapter such as the MFR-5. The brass C-Mount is used as a heat sink by the cameras TEC. You need to have some metal screwed into the C-Mount to help dissipate the heat from the TEC.

As far as using the Mallincam during the day, it is recommended by some that new users do so to help them learn how to use the camera. That idea hasn't caught on around here yet.

I don't understand what you just said. Sorry... Can you or can't you?

Davio R.

Davio R.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Davio,

To add to what Lorence has posted ... the Mallincams go up to 1/12000 second shutter speed which means it can handle quite bright scenes. I find I use something like 1/2000 to 1/8000 for most daytime stuff. The Mallincams are intended to view everything from a bright full moon or filtered solar images down to the faintest DSO stuff.

I also whole heartily agree about trying the camera out in the day time to get a feel for the controls ... more folks really should try that out.

I can be a lot of fun using the camera in daylight and then as evening comes and the light levels fall off noticing the camera keeping things completely visible (all you're doing is dropping the exposure speeds). At this point you are only just starting to get a feel for how incredibly sensitive the camera actually can be.

#5 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

yes, you can use the mallincam in the day time BUT you must have the camera inserted into a metal visual back or focus tube in order for the heat generated by the Ccd chip to dissipate.

Al

#6 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

yes, you can use the mallincam in the day time BUT you must have the camera inserted into a metal visual back or focus tube in order for the heat generated by the Ccd chip to dissipate.

Al

Do you need to do that even if the TEC cooler is off ? When the TEC is off, the camera shouldn't dissipate more heat than any normal video cam using a 1/2" Sony CCD , including all Mintrons , which don't need external dissipators and work non-stop for months/years in surveillance applications .

#7 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Yes, i've shoot jupiter, moon, etc during the day waiting for night fall. I've used the mallincam on my lunt 80 for solar.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Do you need to do that even if the TEC cooler is off ? When the TEC is off, the camera shouldn't dissipate more heat than any normal video cam using a 1/2" Sony CCD , including all Mintrons , which don't need external dissipators and work non-stop for months/years in surveillance applications .

With the older MCHP it is possible to easily turn the TEC off (it's a switch), but with the VSS+/Xtreme you're manipulating the noise reduction circuitry to control the TEC so it's more involved ... and I'm never certain if it's ever completely off. I find that even during daytime/bright object viewing that my Xtreme around the front casting stays very slightly warm to the touch.

As a general rule you should always use metal focal reducers/filters/adapters and if you are doing anything more than giving the camera a quick check out put it into a focuser or similar attachment (camera adapter, C mount lens etc.).

Mallincam's normally don't need specialized external heat dissipators, they work fine on their own. That said Rock does offer a dissipator and fan assembly for those who want to improve heat dissipation for use under more demanding conditions (very hot nights and wanting to further reduce noise on longer exposures), he also offers a version of the Xtreme with further improved cooling (the X2) which has a copper cold finger and includes the external dissipator/fan package.

I wouldn't have any problem running a properly configured Mallincam in a daytime setup 24x7 like any security camera but that would be kinda pointless considering the difference in price and capabilities.

#9 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

With the older MCHP it is possible to easily turn the TEC off (it's a switch), but with the VSS+/Xtreme you're manipulating the noise reduction circuitry to control the TEC so it's more involved ... and I'm never certain if it's ever completely off. I find that even during daytime/bright object viewing that my Xtreme around the front casting stays very slightly warm to the touch.

As a general rule you should always use metal focal reducers/filters/adapters and if you are doing anything more than giving the camera a quick check out put it into a focuser or similar attachment (camera adapter, C mount lens etc.).

Mallincam's normally don't need specialized external heat dissipators, they work fine on their own. That said Rock does offer a dissipator and fan assembly for those who want to improve heat dissipation for use under more demanding conditions (very hot nights and wanting to further reduce noise on longer exposures), he also offers a version of the Xtreme with further improved cooling (the X2) which has a copper cold finger and includes the external dissipator/fan package.

I wouldn't have any problem running a properly configured Mallincam in a daytime setup 24x7 like any security camera but that would be kinda pointless considering the difference in price and capabilities.

Thanks, Mark, Dave, Lorence & Al.

I'm purchasing this - "he also offers a version of the Xtreme with further improved cooling (the X2) which has a copper cold finger and includes the external dissipator/fan package."

The camera will be mounted to the back of the (Meade LX200 GPS) telescope's aluminum metal visual back setup as usual. I'm assuming the camera's nosepiece is metal. Now can I use the camera for daytime experimentation?

Davio R.

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yes

#11 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yes

Voila! Thanks, Mark and all...

Davio R.

#12 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

For the benefit of many CNers who have not locked-in to a specific "low-light" (long exposure capable) videocam model...

Just wish to mentioned that daylight video is an easy job for almost all videocams. That would also include many $10-ish CMOS videocams as well.
These devices use CCD or CMOS image sensors.
For the commonly seen CCD or CMOS sensor, there is no "extra" sensitivity happening on the sensor itself.
In worst case, the pixels saturate (wash out) and become all white. There is no damage at all. Not even a permanent burned-in.

The only exception is you point such image system directly at Sun without proper filtering before the sensor! The same rule "not using your eye directly observing Sun through a telescope" applies. (Unless the Childhood game of using a magnifier glass to "chase ants" is the plot.) That's not fun in real life, for ants, human eye, or your precious image sensor.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#13 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks, ccs...

Davio R.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics