Whats your view to the west look like for PannStar

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Last night I was hoping to catch my first views of PannStarr, but its been cloudy.
I take some comet hunting gear to work now so I can stop by my favorite new site now to look to the west.
Last night with my smart phone, I took this photo of my western view which is pretty darn flat and opened. On a clear day, hopefully today, I can get a clear view to the mountains we have to the west so this site is fairly ideal for me and close to home. I found a nicely paved road in the middle of no where, that just dead ends. This will be my new comet observing location and maybe even a good site to do some late night observing.

Whats your view to the west look like, for comet hunting this time around, and maybe for Comet Lemmon also?

Attached Files

#2 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have a nice, mostly unobstructed view to the west at one of our schools in town, and it is less than a mile from my house. I looked for the comet last night, but didn't spot it either in the still photos I took or binoculars. It is supposed to be clear tonight until midnight (I HOPE!), so with any luck I'll get another chance to look again. We get rain later this weekend, so it's that and then hope for clearing skies sometime next week.

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

aa6ww, your site looks pretty good.

Objects low in the west are always difficult for me because of the line of 4000 ft (~1300m) mountains that lie in that direction. Here is a pic I took this evening looking over my hay meadows to the mountain ridge about 5 miles distant. PanStarrs should have been just above the ridge in the center but I never saw it.

Attached Files

#4 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

That's a nice view Ed, I have to drive about 9 miles to get to the view I posted, but its a dead end road in the middle of nowhere and it works for me.

...Ralph

#5 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

I will be here, a 10 minute walk from my house.

Attached Files

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Clouds and more clouds with clarity through haze rarely.

Pete

#7 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Here is my western view from NE Tucson, AZ atop a parking garage.

Attached Files

#8 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

I drive out to farm fields not far from home but it's been cloudy the few times I have gone. I did see it this Saturday. Unfortunately I was doing 65mph on the freeway on my way to the everglades and couldn't pull over to observe it. Maybe this week.

Ed D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics