• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

This is my first attempt at the entire process -- noise reduction and all. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the background noise (I do have Photoshop Elements, but not too smart on it), so the background looks a little noisy.

I did use a 2x Barlow, but after doing noise reduction in Registax, I reduced the image size to 67%, effectively making the "magnification" appear to be around 400x, which is my 8" SCT's maximum resolving power.

In addition to Jupiter, Ganymede is also in the upper left.

I am pretty proud of this for a first attempt through the whole process! (I did capture some video of Jupiter one other time and extracted a single image that I thought was the best-looking one, but I didn't do any noise reduction or anything like that.)

I just wish the NexImage 5 worked better with AMD processors...I lucked out with an Intel laptop, they really need to fix that so others can experience what this camera can offer!

Attached Files

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hi Sam,

An excellent first attempt combining Registax with Photoshop Elements. :bow::bow:

The initial image has a little mis-alignment of RGB, (a red curve, for want of a better description, around the bottom edge), which I've tried to pull into line in the attached 90 degs. CCW rotated image.

Also there is a little residual "onion ringing", on the same edge which probably results from the high frame rate (60f/s ?) you may have used and with which these cameras are apparently capable. Perhaps try varying the rate on successive next attempts to compare the effects?

Superb capture of the GRS, festoons and of course, Ganymede on the limb ! :bow::bow:

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#3 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

That is nice work. I tried to use mine with Saturn but I need to adjust the backlashing. Tracking is off..

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hi Sam:

Nice Image for your first try! :bow:

-Dan

#5 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks all! :)

Tel, thanks for the tips! I think actually the most likely causes are, in no particular order:
* The video I took was 30 seconds long--perhaps long enough for rotational effects since Jupiter spins so fast? Is this too long to capture, especially at such high magnification?
* The Barlow was used, meaning I was effectively magnifying about 600x. Granted, I did reduce the image down to 2/3 its size (so the image posted is at about a digitally-altered 400x, which is the actual magnification limit...but there could be other artifacting).
* As you say, I need to experiment more with frame rate.

I can explain where the red came from, though. I actually did not do enough individual color-gain tweaking on the camera, and the video still looked a little green. So, I removed some green from the image after processing in Registax...and I probably went a little too far in altering the color balance. I think I also may have added a bit of red, too, which probably did it.

My one complaint against Photoshop (which is entirely due to my naivete in using it) is that it looks much different on black background in photoshop than it does once I bring it somewhere online (which usually doesn't have a black background...lol) I need to remember to make it brighter! :) Thanks for the edits, much appreciated!

I have a few other videos, both Barlowed and non-Barlowed, from last night to try to process too, I just eyeballed the one I thought might give the best results, but the others sit waiting for processing as time permits! :)

By the way, for anyone who is using a NexImage 5, the most useful way by far to initially acquire is:
* Center object in 25 mm EP, then center object again in an EP as close to 7 mm as you can get. In iCap, crank up the gain (since the focus will not be right), put in the NexImage 5, and go to max resolution; look for the fuzzy splotch of light...that is the unfocused version. Now, start focusing...it will require several twists of the knob to get it in focus, since the focus is quite a bit different than for any EP. The biggest key to remember -- crank up that gain, since out-of-focus the image is darker than in-focus....I had the gain up to about 60-ish to initially acquire but reduced to about 10-ish for the video once I got it focused. Once you start to get it focused, you can reduce resolution (for faster frame rate) and turn down gain. That will help with fine-tuning focus.

I need to get a few good Saturn shots -- I'm very confident now that the Cassini division should appear clearly using this camera...I know I saw it visually about a month ago, but was unsure if the camera would pick it up. So far, I'm impressed!

Now, time to turn on some Holst and do some more image processing... :)

#6 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

That's a great image for a first attempt. In Photoshop elements, try to play with "levels". I bought the Noel Carboni's plug in which helps with noise reduction though for Planets I never felt the need to utilize noise reduction.

#7 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Cool.. Thanks for the suggestions on the NI5. In my first attempt, Jupiter was a big white blotch. But I didn't mess with the gain. I'll try that out next time I get a chance..

#8 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

You can use your telescope in the daytime to figure out how many turns (and which direction) you need to turn the focus knob after having previously focused with a particular eyepiece, for the image to be in focus with the camera. This is especially important if you will be removing the diagonal along with the eyepiece. I usually don't use a diagonal with the eyepiece so there aren't that many turns to make (I never use a diagonal for astrophotography, or collimation).

Once you know about where it should be in focus you shouldn't have much problem with a dim, fuzzy Jupiter.

#9 Isdaako

Isdaako

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Devils Tower, Wyoming

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Very impressive image. Well done!

#10 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I just recently re-did this image, using MatLab to process the individual pixels (I'm taking an image processing class right now, unrelated to Astronomy but still useful for Astronomy!)

The results are amazing, just with brightness stretching.

Attached Files

#11 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Cool. I need to take classes for Photoshop.. Looks like you got the red spot.

#12 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Nice image Butsam. Just wondering if that's Io on the edge of Jupiter at about 10.0.clock. There was a transit by Io on the 8th of March.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

#13 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Actually it was Ganymede, but yes it was during the transit that evening.

I am hoping one day the April Showers will give way and I can get a good Saturn shot...possibly this weekend, according to the weather...we shall see :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics