Photo

Samsung NX series cameras for astro imaging?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

Has anyone tried any of the Samsung NX series cameras for astro imaging?

#2 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well, not sure of the newer models, but the NX100 I had was GARBAGE at anything over ISO400...I mean B.A.D.
My little Sony NEX C3(which is Full Spectrum Modified) blows the Samsung away. I gave the samsung to my dad and he doesnt even use it(he doesnt even own another digital camera)! lol

If you havent already purchased the camera, I would REALLY look at the Sony mirrorless options. They are the absolute best in the industry, for the moment, and IMHO.
The NEX system is a LOT of fun. And the images are just as good as an XS/XSi or even a T2i/T3i..
Havent had a chance to try it out for astro imaging, but usually the daytime performance of a camera is a good way to tell how it will perform for AP...if mid range ISO looks clean(~ISO800 - ISO3200), and if image sharpness/saturation/etc looks nice, you are good to go for AP.
(again, IMHO and YMMV) :grin:

BTW, a good tool for checking the noise of cameras vs other models is DPreview's site.
Just pull up a camera model, like the Canon 60D for example. Then go to the Review(by DPreview, not by customers) and go to the page that shows noise performance, and there are drop down menus where you can 'load' other models in to compare them...
I use it all the time when considering/comparing a new camera.
Like this here: ***HERE***
(scroll down to the SECOND area, where it shows you *Raw* noise performance..the top will show you Jpeg with NR!)

Good luck!

#3 Hikari

Hikari

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine, USA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

If you have one, I would try it. I did some imaging with an Olympus E-P1 and got some nice results. There are certainly cameras with better noise than that.

Are you looking to buy one?

#4 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Sorry, I should have said that(like Hikari mentioned)...just try it and see what happens. If you already own one, why not? ;)

Cheers!

#5 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I am considering a NX1000 (I don't have one yet) as its price is half of the price of a Canon 600D and on paper both have similar specifications. I don't mind that the NX1000 has less features, as I prefer a smaller camera that I can carry with me. By the way, I also have an Olympus E-P1 that in my tests showed a lot of noise at 400 ISO and higher, am I missing something?

#6 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

A modified and cooled Sony NEX would be nice Brent!!!:poke:

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

NEX is very nice except that
- no PC tetherd LiveView
- RAW is not raw
- most the models are made as consumer friendly cam (hint hint)

#8 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Has anyone tried any of the Samsung NX series cameras for astro imaging?

Canon is the name of the game; try one from below; if budget allows... 60Da; Rebels are good, T4i the latest:

Posted Image

#9 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Canon is the name of the game; try one from below; if budget allows... 60Da; Rebels are good, T4i the latest:

Why? What is it that a Canon camera can do that can't be done with any other equivalent interchangeable lens camera?

#10 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Why? What is it that a Canon camera can do that can't be done with any other equivalent interchangeable lens camera?

Work with BackyardEOS software!!!, the ultimate astroimaging camera control and imaging session utility software...

Trust me, I am a diehard Nikon user, have been since 1968, have more than my share of Nikon DSLR, use a Nikon D300s for astroimaging and first time I saw BYEOS in use, I purchased a Canon 60Da (last August 10th), and it with BYEOS, has been used for 99.9% of my Astroimaging ever since...

However, my Nikons will be back in use for Astroimaging just as soon as BYNIK is available...

BYEOS is that good...

I also am a Samsung owner/user however, again, its a case of available software makes Canon the easy winner...

#11 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Work with BackyardEOS software!!!, the ultimate astroimaging camera control and imaging session utility software...

Trust me, I am a diehard Nikon user, have been since 1968, have more than my share of Nikon DSLR, use a Nikon D300s for astroimaging and first time I saw BYEOS in use, I purchased a Canon 60Da (last August 10th), and it with BYEOS, has been used for 99.9% of my Astroimaging ever since...

However, my Nikons will be back in use for Astroimaging just as soon as BYNIK is available...

BYEOS is that good...

I also am a Samsung owner/user however, again, its a case of available software makes Canon the easy winner...

Have you ever used a Panasonic GH camera? I know it isn't the same as the OP's camera. However, I think some people would be amazed at how much of what backyard EOS does is already included in-camera for the Panasonic GH line.

#12 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

What I would really like to hear are comments about the performance of the new Samsung NX series cameras (preferably the NX1000). Also any advice on improving results from an Olympus E-P1.

#13 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

What I would really like to hear are comments about the performance of the new Samsung NX series cameras (preferably the NX1000). Also any advice on improving results from an Olympus E-P1.

I don’t have an EP-1 but I have what is essentially its cousin (The Panasonic GF1). What issues are you having with it right now?

I would suggest having it modified by lifepixel.com. Just get the full spectrum mod and use filters. The GF1 isn’t great past ISO 800 but ISO 1600 can work in a pinch. I can only assume that the EP-1 is the same since they used the same sensor.

#14 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don’t have an EP-1 but I have what is essentially its cousin (The Panasonic GF1). What issues are you having with it right now?

Trouble focusing in the dark, high noise and dark bands visible in the background at 400 ISO and higher.

#15 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Focusing. That requires a crop sensor zoom mode. I don't remember if the early Olympus cameras have that mode or not.

I simply center a star. Pretty much any star that you can see with your eye. Then I go into the 10x crop mode and focus. I take one 20 second image to double check the focus is right and off I go. Focusing should be a strength of these cameras and not a hindrance.

Yes you will get the banding. However, with the GF1 the banding occurs below ISO 800 and sometimes above ISO 1600. ISO 800 is the sweet spot on the GF1.

Try shooting 1 minute ISO 800 images. See if that helps. If you are guiding then try 2 minute or 4 minute and 16 second exposures.

Do you know what the max shutter duration is in bulb mode? Some of the Panasonic cameras were limited to 2 minutes and 8 seconds. That was a bummer. The GF1 will do 4 minutes and 16 seconds. Hopefully, your Oly will as well.

It will have noise. There is no way around that. The sensor in the original m4/3s cameras is almost 4 years old now.

#16 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

A modified and cooled Sony NEX would be nice Brent!!!:poke:

Modified NEX's are available! :grin:
(they are not part of my price list since Canon/Nikon dominate there...but it is just a simple phone call/email/PM/etc to find out prices. ;) )

Cooled? that is a different story...
But, since they are so small and thin, it would be VERY easy to make a VERY small cooler box type of system.. ;)
That small and slim design is really great, but a 'HyperMod' would not be very easy to do.(being the conventional 'cooled mod' uses a cold finger, etc attached to the rear of the sensor..I can tell you, these cameras are completely packed full of parts...but it would be possible if the user did not want the original shape/body to be retained. If going "all the way for AP", I could easily HyperMod a NEX system.
I for one would do the NEX 7. That 24Mp sensor is pretty awesome. even though the NEX 6 has less noise.(maybe I will wait for the NEX 8(or NEX 7 Mark II)) :grin:

Sorry for derailing the thread OP :tonofbricks:

#17 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

http://www.ubergizmo...ompatible-wi...

#18 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

I am asking about the Samsung NX, not Sony NEX or Canon DSLR cameras.

The E-P1 has a bulb timer of 1 min to 30 min according to the manual (and an 8 min factory default setting which I don't understand). Also, I am not sure what are the optimum settings for graduation, noise reduction and noise filter (I found conflicting information about how these settings affect noise in low light).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics