• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NY

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Well, I managed to get my scope outside for about an hour's worth of use for the first time.

The first time I ran through the GoTo set up it failed. The second time, success. (I picked the middle star in Orion's belt for the third object the second time around). I picked a couple of Messier objects from the Tour feature, but couldn't really see anything with a 32mm Plossl.

After selecting a couple of other items from the list, it ran the scope absolutely perpendicular with the eyepiece almost touching the battery cover. So I moved it by hand to a more accessible angle. I think I shouldn't have done that because the next object that I selected was Orion, which I could clearly see to the south of my position. But the scope slewed to the northeast, nowhere near Orion.

By that time it was getting much colder, so I shut it down and took it inside.

Another problem I had was the screen on the controller has two lines of text, but the bottom one was unintelligible. Just a scrambled mumbled mess that couldn't be read. I guess there's something wrong with it? Also, during the setup process, the only location information it asked was my general location (Eastern US) although I had my Long/Lat at hand to input. Is this normal?

Finally, while the views through the scope were nice, they weren't really impressive, I'm sure that I need more than just a 32mm Plossl.

What say you?

Thanks.

Jim

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't know what scope your using but sounds like a SE. . Once you moved scope in mount it is no longer aligned so that is why was way off after adjusting it. You needed to realign it.. Also I would try jupiter and see what it does..'
Kasey

#3 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Cold weather plays havoc with all LCD screens like that on your hand controller...if you have the new PLUS version then it is Better then the older original hand controllers in the cold..BUT it is still a LCD screen...

common solution is to rubber band a chemical hand warmer on the back of the HC

Hang in there...

Bob G.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi Jim:

Nothing wrong with the handset. The display is just very sluggish in the cold. When the bottom line of text is scrolling along, it is too slow to refresh properly and it looks jumbled. Like Bob says, most people use a chemical hand warmer rubber banded to the back. The high tech (and high cost!) solution is a heated handset case like this one:
http://store.smartas...miiforceco.html

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it asked for your general location. Are you referring to the time zone? If so, that's not for location. It's so that it knows what time you're really entering. Your location is stored after the first time in, so you don't need to enter it again for subsequent uses. If you use the scope in another location, after you've selected your alignment method hit "Undo" and you'll be at the latitude and longitude screen.

-Dan

#5 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

I would verify that it has right time zone and DST on or off and right date... have pulled my hair out not verifying that and trying to do go-to's before :tonofbricks:
Kasey

#6 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

+1 on the time zone. Last night, it wasn't tracking right. I went through the align again and it turned out the time zone wasn't set correctly.

#7 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I actually have spare hand warmers from hunting season so I'll try that.

Yes, Eastern US for time zone. Sorry. But I still know it never asked me for my location. So maybe again, a malfunction due to cold?

What if I ran through the setup again while indoors where it's warm, and then just stop at the point where I align three bodies? Would I be able to do that and then pick up the process outside? Again, it may have been the cold that caused so many problems.

And I won't be moving the scope by hand again after alignment. LOL.

Also, when I entered the time, I used a 24hr. clock, as in 20:30:30. Will it ask if AM or PM? I didn't see that. Could be another reason I had problems.

Finally what about Eps? Should I buy the Plossl set from Celestron for $159 with the filters? Or try to buy higher quality ones one at a time? What do you recommend to start out, if I had about $150 to spend to begin with?

And thanks again. I appreciate the advice.

Jim

#8 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't know what scope your using but sounds like a SE. . Once you moved scope in mount it is no longer aligned so that is why was way off after adjusting it. You needed to realign it.. Also I would try jupiter and see what it does..'
Kasey

Yes, sorry. It's a 6SE.

#9 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

I started out with an old $150.00 SAMS CLUB refractor. I then went to a 4SE (celestron). What you are facing might just be the capability of the scope. What you might want to look at for more magnification, seeing and viewing is to go to a camera, CCD or more so a video. I am now using a CPC 9.25 and am just learning video cam. The capability with even light pollution and poor viewing seems a lot better and is easier to share via a monitor. Just from someone that has invested in the black financial hole of astronomy :bawling: keep open options. Also the camera would be usable on any step up you may do in the future.. Just keep an open mind and good viewing :jump:
Kasey

#10 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

dragonslayer1 - that's worth knowing, but for now I think I'll concentrate on some new EPs and maybe a barlow to see more than a 32mm can provide. I just don't know which one's to get.

#11 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

I would suggest getting a 24mm or 25mm and a 17mm.. Do you wear glasses? I really like my new Baader Hyperion 17mm. It's not over priced and the views are pretty amazing.

#12 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

... I still know it never asked me for my location. So maybe again, a malfunction due to cold?

What if I ran through the setup again while indoors where it's warm, and then just stop at the point where I align three bodies? Would I be able to do that and then pick up the process outside? Again, it may have been the cold that caused so many problems.

I don't believe there's any problem here, cold or not. If you never entered in a location, it may have been entered by someone at the store that sold it. In any case, once it has been entered, it will not ask for a location again.

As mentioned, after you select the alignment method (e.g. Auto Two Star), hit the 'Undo' button and you'll be able to enter latitude and longitude for your location. You can easily try this by doing a mock alignment indoors during the day, assuming your observing location is nearby.

-Dan

#13 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ben. I have 20/20 since my lasik surgery eight yrs ago, so no glasses. I'll look into the Baader Eps. Thanks.

Dan

I bought it online (eBay) from a guy in Utah. So maybe I'll just have to try to do a complete factory reset (if that's possible) and just start from scratch. My observing location, for now, is my backyard.

What do you use for Eps?

#14 sanlopez

sanlopez

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 35.9606° N, 83.9208° W

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

You should do a factory reset, it is in one of fhe menus. The newer models have a list of us states and cities rather than entering lat and long.

#15 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm one of the very few guys who actually recommend any of the inexpensive eyepiece kits...4 or 5 Usable eyepieces, a usable 2x barlow as well as a Moon filte as well as a case that at least used to be good enough to last your years all for about 15 bucks apiece... They are great EDUCATIONAL TOOLS as far as I am concerned..The eyepieces are NOT junk but they are sure not top of the line either..but they will let you learn what magnifications you normally view under so in a few months you can buy individual eyepieces one at a time that you seem to use night after night ..
NOBODY, as far as I know have found a good use for ..

Bob G.

#16 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Factory reset and all is well. Can even read the bottom line since it's nice and warm in here. ;)

Bob

Thanks for the advice. The cheapest set I've seen is like $159 on Celestron for 1 1/4" EPs. Is there somewhere that specializes in Eps that I should know about?

Jim

#17 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Jim - I have the Celestron EP kit. It's not a bad kit to get you started. They aren't cheap plastic. For the price, you really can't beat to get use to how your scope works. I started upgrading because I wear glasses and getting good views while wearing glasses with my kit was really hard to do.

#18 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

If your looking for a really cheap set of ep's look at these. I dont own any of them but I have heard folks talk about them on CN.

http://www.owlastron...superplossl.htm

#19 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

If by "not that impressive", you mean it didn't show much detail, it is because you were at one of the lowest magnifications possible.

The magnification for eyepieces is M = f / p, where f is the focal length of the telescope and p is the focal length of the eyepiece (ie, 32 mm). So, smaller eyepieces give higher magnification--at the expense of a smaller field of view. Field of View is F = T / M, where A is the total field of view that the eyepiece manufacturer specifies, and M is the magnification.

So, with your 32 mm EP, you are magnifying things about 50x. With a 13 mm EP, you would magnify things over 110x...and a 13 mm EP is generally useable in most sky conditions.

I have the Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit, and I really like the variety it provides. In your case, it would duplicate the 32 mm, but I don't use Celestron's 32 mm much anyway, but I use pretty much all of the others, including the Barlow it comes with as well. You also get some filters (the lunar filter in particular really helps), and a sturdy case.

Take a look at Jupiter -- I'm not sure with the 6 SE, but with the 8 SE I can see the bands even with a 25 mm EP, so you might with a 32 mm EP and a 6 SE. But, you should definitely invest in more, regardless of the source.

Also, I recommend the Auto 2-star Alignment, it tends to succeed more frequently. You do need to know the name of at least one star in the sky (it usually gets you close enough to the 2nd one), but as long as you can see Polaris (no clouds to the north), that generally makes things easy.

#20 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks. After getting some advice from everyone here at CN, I'm now leaning towards an 8-24 zoom lens, and then later down the road, I'll buy single higher-end EPs one at a time. I'm not talking $300 or more per, but probably around $100 each new. I'll shop on the S&S Eyepiece forum for good used ones as well as CN's classifieds.

Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics