• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Novaguy

Novaguy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, OH area

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I was just wondering - when a new dark sky area is designated, is there a protocol for contacting all perimeter towns to include specific dark sky language into their building codes, and making the general public around that area aware of the importance of photon efficiency? Encroaching development is the primary enemy of these sites. Has anyone considered making this a priority, to preserve these sites for the future?

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I can’t answer your question for every DS Park, but I know that the two towns around Cherry Springs Gold level Dark Sky Park were contacted by the park staff. The closer one (Galeton, PA) decided to completely convert to full-cutoff street lights, and they were put in about 2 years ago. The other larger town (Coudersport PA) did not agree to make any changes. Neither are likely to pose a LP threat in the near future.

The bigger issue in the Cherry Springs area (as we’re discussing in another thread) is the LP impact caused by gas frack’ing. There was also a threat from red lights on wind turbines, but that seems to not be happening, and would be far less of a problem than the frack’ing.

#3 Dark Sky Scott

Dark Sky Scott

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Novaguy,

Yes, long term protection of dark sky sites is an important of what it taken into account with the designations. What is possible varies depending on the specific park or reserve, but preservation and outreach is required.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics