Rosette Nebula with OS Veloce RH 200

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JPGriffin

JPGriffin

Mariner 2

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Here is a pic of the Rosette Nebula that I shot 5 March 2013 using a HyperCams Modified Canon 5DM2 attached to an OS Veloce RH200 riding unguided on top of a Tak EM400. This image is composed of 16 30s subs at ISO6400. I was just trying out an experiment with short exposures and pushing the ISO up just for kicks. I had a Lumincon Light Pollution Filter in the mix as well. I feel I clipped the background a bit too much and my tracking (i.e., polar alignment) could have been a tad tighter.

Attached Files

#2 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Patrick, your self evaluation is right on the money. It is still a nice Rosette. Good bit of detail in the form of filaments and dark lanes.

Ajay

#3 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yea, very nice image, Patrick!! Especially considering I know the skies you are shooting from..lol

Never heard of that scope before..have to check it out now ;)

Cheers!

#4 JPGriffin

JPGriffin

Mariner 2

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Brent,
I tried shooting without the light pollution filter and the amount of red signal that came through made the images almost unworkable! With the light pollution filter in place, once the background is extracted in PixInsight there is increased blue signal that needs to be tamed down. I am still working out the kinks of using such a fast and large aperture astrograph (600mm focal length at f/3 giving it a 200mm aperture) with a large pixel modified camera like the 5DM2.

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Which LP filter are you using? Deep-Sky? UHC?
I remember having issues with my Deep Sky..never tried the UHC.
The CLS-CCD makes things a little more greenish..so I can easily understand your issue.
I have the IDAS LPS-V2 and love it. Color balance is very nice, and does not add anything to my processing workflow..

200mm(aperture) @ F/3? wow!! Nice! :)

#6 JPGriffin

JPGriffin

Mariner 2

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

I am using the Lumincon Deep Sky Filter. It has a blue green color that is very noticeable during LiveView focusing. I am going to have to look into the IDAS LPS-V2.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics