Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Several weeks ago, I cancelled my subscription to Astronomy Magazine because as part of their redesign, they reduced the text/font size. I believe that this was a huge mistake. Most print magazines are serving an older generation of readers, and text/font size is an important criteria for many of us. (However, I do miss Astronomy Magazine--I had been a subscriber for more than 30 years.)

As a result of cancelling Astronomy, I decided to subscribe to Amateur Astronomy and Astronomy Technology Today.

I found Amateur Astronomy to be a refreshing, interesting, plain Jane approach of a magazine. Sort of like when you want a chicken fried steak, heavy on the gravy, instead of a petite filet mignon. The 70 pages or so of articles are varied, interesting, and leave the reader with the sense that the editors understand the world of the amateur astronomer.

It has been said that Astronomy Technology Today is for gear heads. That is probably true. But, here is my perspective. Astronomy is the only hobby where I enjoy reading the ads as much as the editorial content. This magazine shows you the product, then takes you behind the scenes in discussing it. I found the 75 pages or so of articles to be technical, but not overly so. At least, I could understand them.

I am happy to recommend both these publications to prospective readers. Maybe the editors would send you a sample copy to read before subscribing.

Amateur Astronomy http://www.amateurastronomy.com/

Astronomy Technology Today https://www.astronom...com/Default.asp

GeneT

#2 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Good choices Gene. I subscribe to both, and like them very much.

If I have one complaint, and for me, it's a minor one, its that Amateur Astronomy magazine isn't cheap for only 4 issues per year, but I'd still much rather have it than not.

#3 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

Both magazines are great reads... It depends on where You focus upon in our hobby...
Documentary where the "old school" amateur-astronomer meets the "21st century" amateur-astronomer:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=C4qSsuP27h0
:imawake:
RefractorPhill

#4 gparkerson

gparkerson

Vendor (Astronomy Technology Today)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Gene,

Thanks, as always, for the kind words, and I agree with respect to Amateur Astronomy – it remains one of my favorite publications. As too does Astronomy Magazine, by the way.

It sounds like you and I are of an age that shares the joys of diminishing eyesight, among other delights of advancing years. My strategy these days for handling text is to keep adding stronger prescriptions to the collection of reading glasses I keep at home: one for the big monitors of my workstation, another for my laptop and what I consider standard-sized printed text, yet another for the tablet I increasingly find myself using for reading digital versions of newspapers, magazines and books, and still another for reading text on my smartphone (as a last resort). What I really need is a pair of zoom-able reading glasses!

#5 gparkerson

gparkerson

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hi, Rex.

While I understand and appreciate your perspective fully, now that I have some years of insight into what it costs to print and ship a stack of paper as large as each issue of Amateur Astronomy, I find myself wondering how Charlie manages to keep the price of subscription as low as he does. And like you, I’d MUCH rather have it than not!

#6 gparkerson

gparkerson

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Phil,

Thanks much for the video link. Very entertaining and informative! Somehow, I’d managed to miss it before now.

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

My strategy these days for handling text is to keep adding stronger prescriptions to the collection of reading glasses

I do this also. However, in my opinion, Astronomy Magazine went way to far in reducing the text/font size of their publication. I thought the type size was small, but acceptable before their recent changes. I sent the Astronomy editors a couple of queries, but they never answered. I served as Editor, AIRMAN magazine, the official magazine of the Air Force, and Editor, European Stars and Stripes. I never would have approved a reduction in the size of the type face that the editors of Astronomy Magazine did.

Please note--I do like and appreciate your publication!
GeneT

#8 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

ATT has “cost” me a lot more than the subscription price! I’ve ended up buying a few rather expensive items after reading a review of them in ATT.

AAM is a great publication, but I generally only read some copies from a friend’s subscription. I’ve also purchased about a dozen old issues from the guy who sells them at NEAF. I do wish it had better quality pictures.

#9 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hi, Rex.

While I understand and appreciate your perspective fully, now that I have some years of insight into what it costs to print and ship a stack of paper as large as each issue of Amateur Astronomy, I find myself wondering how Charlie manages to keep the price of subscription as low as he does. And like you, I’d MUCH rather have it than not!

You're right of course, Gary. I realize that a lot of work goes into each issue of Amateur Astronomy, and getting it all into print is small staff operation. Heck, Charlie may do it all himself, for all I know. It's always a treat to see it in the mailbox.

And the same goes for Astronomy Technology Today. Keep up the great work with it!

#10 gparkerson

gparkerson

• Vendors

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Sorry, George. I understand completely, having myself succumbed to many of the same temptations.

#11 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

I subscribe to both also. They are my two favorite astronomy magazines. And Gene, I agree, I hate the new small print in Astronomy magazine.

Phil

#12 k9yr

k9yr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

ATT is a great full color magazine. Love the digital downloads so I use my IBooks on my iPad to save them. Recently had problems with mailed copies not getting sent, ATT promptly helped me and I received my back issues. A+ service

#13 drakeSPR4

drakeSPR4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

I subscribed to Amateur Technology Today last April. As of July 12, 2014 I have yet to receive an issue. My credit card was charged for the subscription.

#14 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I subscribed to Amateur Technology Today last April.

Maybe because that magazine doesn't exist! :grin:

#15 drakeSPR4

drakeSPR4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Correction I subscribed to Astronomy Technology Today and have not received an issue, but the credit card was charged in April 2014.

#16 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Contact them, something is amiss.

#17 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

This. Send them an email and see what's going on. I've dealt with them in the past (used to be a subscriber, but a 60% drop in income changes many things), and never had any problems.

#18 Geo557

Geo557

Astro-Scout

• Moderators
  • Loc: SE GA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

This. Send them an email and see what's going on. I've dealt with them in the past (used to be a subscriber, but a 60% drop in income changes many things), and never had any problems.

Agreed. And mistakes can happen so that's why it's best to contact them. ATT is an excellent publication and I'm sure that customer satisfaction is at the top of their list of priorities. And remember ATT is a bi-monthly publication (sent out once every two months) so the cycle for their subscription mail-outs could be the reason for the hold up. But as Tom mentioned, an email to them should clear things up. :cool:

#19 drakeSPR4

drakeSPR4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

I paid Astronomy Tech Today $18 for a print/online subscription. A week ago I sent email using the contact page on their website. Also I sent email reply to their email message welcoming me to their website. As of 7-18-14 there has been absolutely no reply or magazine. 4 months
of nothing, except my credit card charged.

https://www.astronom...ult.asp?page=67

#20 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

I met the fellow from AA at NEAF and he is a true gentleman. I suggest back issues as a way to get your astro-fix.

The big British magazines sold at Barnes and Noble are pretty agreeable. I feel like magazines are getting to be a thing of the past, though.

Glen

#21 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

There will always be a place for magazines, whether print or online. They will not be replaced by astronomy discussion boards. I mean, the astro-BBSes are fun and helpful but, for example, who would you trust for an equipment review? Dennis DiCicco or Joe Spit the Ragman? :lol:

#22 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I agree, the place for magazines will be there, but not on paper. I find fewer and fewer people I know read printed materials anymore. Everything is done on the computer. This is true even of some who are older.

I would be more likely to trust the CN folks for a review, personally. It's true that the reviews and posts here are not always very polished; at the same time, they often tell me all sorts of things I have never heard about in a magazine review. I really like the guys from the magazines and some are heroes to me, but they do have to serve their masters.

Glen

#23 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

A lot of people talk this "serve their masters" stuff...but they never have any evidence of it to offer. ;)

#24 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

A lot of people talk this "serve their masters" stuff...but they never have any evidence of it to offer. ;)

Actually a long time ago, S&T did a review of the Starfinders dob/equatorials. They were pretty hard on Meade about the soldering of the drives of the mounts on the equatorials. Also basically stated the 10in was under mounted.

Also Alan Dyer (I think) ripped Stellarvue for shoddiness with some dew shields. Both Dyer and Dickinson rip on Meade Autostar II being complicated in their book. Also the LX200 reviews in S&T ripped on the weight of then 10in and a later review ripped on Autostar II as well as saying UHTC coatings were better but it would be tough to see at the eyepiece.

The biggest problem is that the reviews in the magazines have too much info that is not about the products.

The reality is most scopes work out of the box pretty well, so I think the reviews are fair. However that isn't to say that people reporting problems are not experiencing problems.

#25 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

.... for example, who would you trust for an equipment review? Dennis DiCicco or Joe Spit the Ragman? :lol:

Is Joe still doing equipment reviews? :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics