Handset in russian :(

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pinyon

pinyon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hello everyone! Just put together my new 8SE and was about to set up the skyalign for the first time but it's in Russian! Can i flash an english firmware version? If so can someone please show me which one and how to install it? Or direct me to a link? thanks in advance!

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hi BS,

A very warm welcome to CN and to this Nexstar forum ! :bow::bow:

Our friend and CN colleague on this particular forum, "Lellynelly", had, or still has a similar problem with her hand controller; hers being in German.

As I've indicated though, I don't know whether she's ever resolved this but from where I believe the matter was left, I think she's abandoned the use of the "German" hand controller and linked her 5SE to her PC. The last I remember was that she is using the supplied "Nexremote" system which is in English.

Lelly: please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

You may be able to reflash your hand controller, (presumably the latest version 5x type), to an English version following a "factory settings" re-set .... I don't know .... but to be honest and in view of the fact that "first time" success in reflashing these units has historically been proved, time over, not to be unproblematic, even with English versions, I would be inclined to return your 8SE to the dealer who supplied it with a view to exchanging it or at least the hand controller or, failing that, obtaining a refund.

If you don't, there is always a chance of invalidating the warranty, (which presumably came with the 'scope), and secondly, this "language problem" will doubtlessly persist if not brought to the attention of those dealing in this equipment and thereby, Celestron itself.

Best regards,
Tel

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Being a new mount, you should have the new style hand controller. The NexStar+ HC language can be changed using the Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) program. Down load the program to your computer and then open the program. In the upper L/H corner you will see a header 'Hand Controller' Click on this and you will get a drop down list with 'Language'.

You will need the programming cable and an serial to USB adapter cable.

Stan

http://www.celestron...a=viewdownlo...,7

http://www.celestron...tar-rs-232.html

http://www.celestron...-converter.html

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

"Hi BS,

A very warm welcome to CN and to this Nexstar forum :bow: :bow:!"

This is hilarious after you realize what BS stands for.

#5 pinyon

pinyon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

thank you all for the welcome, info, and advice! do you excuse my rather immature username.... i've used it for years for all my usernames and i guess i haven't quite grown up yet.

now i have an idea what bs stands for in the traditional sense.... or am i missing some astronomy lingo that you guys might have to fill me in with ;)

anyways i'll call the dealer where i bought it from and take it from there. been lurking around these forums for quite some time and i look forward to my time being here!

#6 pinyon

pinyon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

thank you all for the welcome, info, and advice! do you excuse my rather immature username.... i've used it for years for all my usernames and i guess i haven't quite grown up yet.

now i have an idea what bs stands for in the traditional sense.... or am i missing some astronomy lingo that you guys might have to fill me in with ;)

anyways i'll call the dealer where i bought it from and take it from there. been lurking around these forums for quite some time and i look forward to my time being here!

#7 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hi BS and welcome to the forum.

Hope all goes well with setting up the 8se. Its a great scope which should give you years of enjoyment.

By the way, we don't mind using real names if you don't :grin:

Regards. Peter.

#8 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hi BS and welcome to the forum.

Hope all goes well with setting up the 8se. Its a great scope which should give you years of enjoyment.

By the way, we don't mind using real names if you don't :grin:

Regards. Peter.

Oh David you are a wag to be sure!

You crack on to everone that your name is Peter but I really know that its David :rofl2:

Fred

#9 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

You guys NEVER use your real names!! I know you both too well!

George

#10 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

c'mon guys enough with the aliases (gee I hope I spelled that right)

Hop, I mean

Skip, sorry, I mean

Son, Oh darn!

#11 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

Anyway, It's a good jobs my Mum decided to call me Peter since it's the name everyone else chooses to call me. :roflmao:

Regards. Not telling so there.

#12 FlyBD5

FlyBD5

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston MA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hello everyone! Just put together my new 8SE and was about to set up the skyalign for the first time but it's in Russian! Can i flash an english firmware version? If so can someone please show me which one and how to install it? Or direct me to a link? thanks in advance!

If it's new you can reset the hand control to the default and restore the English language user interface.

Reset instructions

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics