Photo

2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year !

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

A drum scanner would be "Something better than the Nikon 9000".
I've been watching ebay for a used one, unless someone wants to give me 10k :roflmao:

#27 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

You should expect great results with the Nikon. Scanning astrophotos is different than daylight frames and takes some practice, but I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Looking forward to your results.

#28 Doppler

Doppler

Sputnik

• Loc: NE Georgia, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

As per Jim's initial post, I am "new blood" looking forward to getting into film AP. I am currently gathering tools (camera, lenses, developing supplies, etc.), and I am "obsessively" studying your all's galeries, and posts to this forum - Great Stuff!! I just shot some terrestrial photos with my first roll of film (in 20 years) to check out my newly acquired Nikkormat FTn w/ 50mm f1.8 and Sigma 28mm f2.8 mini-wide. I also picked up, for a steal of a deal, a mint Bronica SQ with a 150mm f3.5 lens (I also got the 80mm f2.8 but it doesn't do time exposures - go figure!). It's not a Pentax but I'm hoping it might work for astro. Anyway, know that there is at least one new guy lurking, and who will be posting questions, and my first image, soon. Thanks to all of you for the wealth of information!

Greg
Winterville, GA USA

#29 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Greg - welcome and glad to have another film shooter. Go ahead and shoot that roll, ask questions, and most of all enjoy it. Experimentation is where I get a kick. Nice kit you've picked up there. It should do just fine.

igor

#30 vandkc

vandkc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

This was one that I took last year. Nothing too spectacular, just a 50mm piggybacked shot of Sagittarius. Kodak Gold 400 for about 5 minutes. I am thinking about f/2.8 or f/4. I was not in a very good spot and my scope alignment was a little off, but it is not the worst I have shot. I hope to do some medium format piggybacking this year when I get back out there.

Attached Files

#31 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

This is a really nice shot. Framed by the trees to let the Milky Way and Orion take centre stage. I'm thinking it was probably f/2.8 as there is a lot of detail for 5 minutes. Shooting a 50 lens makes it very forgiving for trailing.

I personally like shots like this - different perspective. Kodak Gold 400 really came through here. Fix the tracking and add a few more minutes and WOW.

Great start. Any idea what camera system you will use for MF? Lots of help here.

#32 vandkc

vandkc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the compliment. As far as a "system" it is just an old Yashica A TLR that I have had for quite a while. I have gotten some decent B/W shots with it of landscapes and cityscapes in the past, but I have never really used it too much for astrophotography. I recently got into scanning some of my old negs and I was having some success with that so I thought now would be a good time to try the Yashica with some piggybacked shots. I will be limited to the stock lens (80mm) as there is no way to add a telephoto on this camera, but with the larger film size, I would hope to get some nicer detail than I would with the 35mm shots I have taken so far. This forum has been a great source of information and I hope to be able to post some results in the not too distant future.

#33 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

So the Yashica will be 6x6? The 80 should be a very nice size - probably a bit wider than you 50 in 35mm. Is the lens a Yashinon? I believe they made two types of lenses with one being the better over the other. Is it f/2.8? You might need to stop down one or two for vignette reasons and sharpness. But try it wide open to see what happens.

I like the Yashica and almost got one for a companion camera. Just something about them. Looking forward to those shots.

igor

#34 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Vandkc, welcome aboard! I must agree with Igor, very nice frame, indeed! If you have more, post it.

#35 vandkc

vandkc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thank you Michal. I will see what I have in my archives, but I have not shot too much recently. Certainly nothing of the quality that you have produced!

The lens on the Yashica is a Yashimar, which is not the higher end of the Yashica lenses. The A was the most basic TLR that Yashica produced, but still a nice little camera. The lens is actually a 3.5, so stopping it down will require some longer exposures to get good images of star coulds and nebulae, should they be in the field of view. I will most likley do a lot of experimaenting when I get the chance. I will post results as soon as I have somethng worth posting!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics