• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

The region of eastern Libra, northern Scorpius and southern Ophiuchus taken on an early morning on March 22, 2012.

This is a two panel Mosaic using the Pentax 67 and 165 f/2.8 @ f/4.8 and 45 minutes exposures on Kodak E200 transparency film developed N+1.5.

Scanning was done with an Epson V600. Images were combined and post processing were done in Photoshop.

Notice how this frame details the Milky Way's central bulge tapering off into space and entering the galactic halo region, home of globular clusters. Can you spot globular cluster NGC-5897 in the right side of this image? Click on the larger image link below and look sharp!

Larger image: https://dl.dropbox.c...rch 22-2012.jpg

Attached Files

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow: :like:

#3 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Nightfly, thanks for sharing. Is the sky significantly worse in these southern regions than in the zenith from you location? It is at my site. Even though there is not much LP towards the southern horizon, the sky is usually somewhat hazy and MW becomes featureless. You live only 5 degrees to the south than me, but this might be a matter of climate. I'm going to image these southern parts of the sky for the firts time this year, so I'd like to know what I can expect.

#4 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi Michal. Yes, there are occasions that this area, this low declination is just too murky, but living on the Atlantic coast, there is no light pollution over my meridian and the air quality is good most of the time.

If you look carefully you can see that the bottom half of the frame above does show a slight gradient. This is especially noticeable on the right half of the frame.

Visually I lose about a full magnitude near the horizon versus the zenith. I often do a visual to decide if I will shoot low or aim somewhat higher for a particular night. Scutum is a good example.

I shoot as low as I can and I am limited by a tree line right now at about -32 degrees. Sky glow often appears at my horizon and can bother a session and often is not seen until the film comes back.

Here is an example of sky glow on my SSE horizon.

Posted Image
Airglow Captured! by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics