Photo

How an object actually looks through the eyepiece!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

I seem to recall someone trying to do this long ago - but I can't remember where or when (Yeah, I know...old song!) :question:

So, I'll re-start the project: How DOES a DSO look, through the eyepiece...not some long exposure, stacked and processed image.

Here are my first efforts. Using a 28" f/3.6 Starstructure I made a number of photos (at prime focus) and picked the ones that came closest to what I was actually seeing. In other words - if you were there with me and looking through the eyepiece...how would it look?

Please try to overlook the distorted stars. "The wind was kickin' up somethin' fierce"...as Uncle Rod might say.

M-81

Attached Files

#2 Chris A

Chris A

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Ok you changeD the picture from M82 to the real M81 and yes this is more like an eyepiece view. I was wondering when I looked at the M82 galaxy labelled as M81 the stars you mentioned distorted and the were round to me LOL. Anyways thanks again for this Mike it provides me with a very good idea of what to expect to see.

Chris A

#3 davemartin88

davemartin88

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Romney, WV, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

On the Obsession telescope website, I think there were views of M13 as it would look through the various size of scopes. Not sure if they are still there.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics