4 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando134

Fernando134

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hello all!

I have a Celestron CPC800. The telescope is in Brasil.

My laptop is a Dell 64-bits, running Windows 7 in Portuguese and Cartes Du Ciel, version 3.6. Recently I bought from Celestron, the RS232 with USB-to-serial adapter, which will be available to me by the end of April.

I downloaded the Platform ACSOM 6 SP1, and the "Celestron ACSOM Driver Information." Following the instructions, I set up the Cartes du Ciel for the CPC800.

The questions that I have right now are:

1 - In the instructions, Chris Rowland (who wrote the driver) says "set the Com port number ... is the only thing that is essential." Since I am semi-literate in computers: how to determine to which Com port is the "RS232 with USB-to-serial adapter" connected?

2 - He also writes: "Very little testing has been done in the Southern hemisphere or with non English version of Windows." Is anyone running Cartes du Ciel in these conditions?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Can't help you with 2, but have not heard of anyone having trouble with it.

In Windows, from the Start Menu, go to Control Panel and Device Managere. With your USB to serial converter plugged in, you'll see an entry in the tree for comm port. Expand that and it will tell you what the number is. Be aware that if you plug the converter into a different USB port next time, the number can change.

#3 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I am running windows 7 as well and my personal experience was that sometimes had to reconnect to USB port a couple times or power up whatever was on the other end to get another port to show. Mine shows port 4. I tried the tree and it didn't work for me, so if you have problems also this is a possible fall back,
Kasey

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

If your serial USB driver is properly installed, the "tree" cannot help but work. If you don't have a comm port showing there, you will not be able to connect. ;)

#5 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

With Windows 7 the COM port number should be in the "Devices and Printers" display (Start, look about half way down on the right hand side of the start display).

I've not heard about any recent issues with Southern Hemisphere operation, and it should be OK with different decimal point separators as well.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics