M3 Globular Real-Time HD Video thru IIE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Took this video thru my Mewlon 250 scope with a Gen 3 thin film image intensifier coupled to the camera. This is real-time video. You'll see the crispest video at HD settings.

M3 HD Video Link

Here's a still to whet your appetite. Exposure time on the still is about a second.

Attached Files

#2 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Very cool!

#3 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

That is really cool. What camera and focal ratio was this taken with?

#4 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks.

The camera used was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 coupled to a Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 lens which was connected to the image intensifier ocular (eyepiece) via a step down ring (58mm-46mm) and ocular camera adaptor yielding afocal imaging.

#5 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks.

The camera used was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 coupled to a Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 lens which was connected to the image intensifier ocular (eyepiece) via a step down ring (58mm-46mm) and ocular camera adaptor yielding afocal imaging.

That is a really nifty setup. What shutter speed and video format did you use to record this? 1080p @ 60 FPS or 1080p @ 30 FPS? One thing cool about the Panasonic GH line and some of the cameras that they have hacked is that they will allow as low as 1/2 a second shutter durations during filming.

I can't even imagine what that image intensifier could do with video and a 1/2 a second shutter duration. :shocked:

#6 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

That is a really nifty setup. What shutter speed and video format did you use to record this? 1080p @ 60 FPS or 1080p @ 30 FPS? One thing cool about the Panasonic GH line and some of the cameras that they have hacked is that they will allow as low as 1/2 a second shutter durations during filming.

I had the camera set to 1920x1080/60i recording mode (FSH setting). My objective is High Def video for max resolution. I took the still separate from the video take. My camera is (currently) unhacked.

Next time I'll try lower resolution and 30 fps to see if that brightens up the video noticeably.

#7 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Globes show well with IIE

#8 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I had the camera set to 1920x1080/60i recording mode (FSH setting). My objective is High Def video for max resolution. I took the still separate from the video take. My camera is (currently) unhacked.

Next time I'll try lower resolution and 30 fps to see if that brightens up the video noticeably.

Under no circumstances should you ever use FSH on the G5. PSH(1080p @ 60 FPS) is always better than FSH because PSH is a higher bit rate and it is progressive like your display. However, you could try FPH(1080p @ 30 FPS) to see if it will use a longer shutter duration.'

Can the G5 take still images while recording video? Try taking a still during video to see what ISO and shutter duration it is using. Those specs will be in the EXIF data in the image that it records.

The Panasonic GH3 would be the ideal camera for this type of observing. You can vary the frame rate for video on demand from 1/2 a frame per second all the way through 60 FPS at 1920x1080. You can also vary the ISO from ISO 200 through ISO 6400 while filming.

What you are getting out of the G5 is quite impressive though. If they hack it I hope it enables the manual video controls like it did for the GF1.

#9 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Under no circumstances should you ever use FSH on the G5. PSH(1080p @ 60 FPS) is always better than FSH because PSH is a higher bit rate and it is progressive like your display. However, you could try FPH(1080p @ 30 FPS) to see if it will use a longer shutter duration.'

Can the G5 take still images while recording video? Try taking a still during video to see what ISO and shutter duration it is using. Those specs will be in the EXIF data in the image that it records.

The Panasonic GH3 would be the ideal camera for this type of observing. You can vary the frame rate for video on demand from 1/2 a frame per second all the way through 60 FPS at 1920x1080. You can also vary the ISO from ISO 200 through ISO 6400 while filming.

What you are getting out of the G5 is quite impressive though. If they hack it I hope it enables the manual video controls like it did for the GF1.

Thanks for the tips.

I tried taking some stills this evening while shooting video in various modes with my G5, and the stills ALWAYs appear to be shot at 1/60 second.

The GH3 capability sounds very interesting. Do you have this camera? I checked the GH3 owner's manual (advanced version) and all I could find was that one can record faster/slower video via [Frame Rate] setting (Page 185 of the manual) which gives 24 frames / second (24P). Is the variable frame rate that you describe for the GH3 an undocumented capability?

Thanks in advance.

#10 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I tried taking some stills this evening while shooting video in various modes with my G5, and the stills ALWAYs appear to be shot at 1/60 second.

The GH3 capability sounds very interesting. Do you have this camera? I checked the GH3 owner's manual (advanced version) and all I could find was that one can record faster/slower video via [Frame Rate] setting (Page 185 of the manual) which gives 24 frames / second (24P). Is the variable frame rate that you describe for the GH3 an undocumented capability?

Thanks in advance.

To enable slow frame rates during videos you can go to the GH3's full manual video mode and turn the camera to manual focus. That will allow shutter durations of longer than 1/30th of a second which in turn will give you frame rates less than 30 FPS. It all gets encapsulated in a 30 FPS or 60 FPS file.

Yes I have the GH3 and yes there are MANY undocumented features on the GH3. I still don't understand why Panasonic doesn't make these features public. Maybe they just don't want to support them and word of mouth has worked so far.

#11 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

love your video

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics