Eyepiece case closeout

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

SmartAstronomy has a closeout on their eyepiece case on EBay. I ordered a couple for myself (he combines shipping), they are nice cases and hold 2" eyepieces very well. (They also hold 1.25" eyepieces).

#2 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Looks good for the price :)

#3 bryguy27007

bryguy27007

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

I second Hilmi's post. Tempting. I think I would like a case that has room for my collimation tools, flashlight, and maybe my star charts too. Need to do some thinking and figuring before I pull the trigger on this one.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

I second Hilmi's post. Tempting. I think I would like a case that has room for my collimation tools, flashlight, and maybe my star charts too. Need to do some thinking and figuring before I pull the trigger on this one.

In the long run, one case is not enough... I keep my eyepieces in separate cases, my collimation tools and such in another case, lights, gloves, charts, binoculars, more tools, etc in another case.

Jon

#5 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

I have one of these. The problem I found is that the glue used to old the foam together oozes out at the edge of the bottom of the holes, and has to be cleaned off the bottom end of 2" eyepieces or (hopefully) their covers.

#6 chrisking0997

chrisking0997

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have one of these. The problem I found is that the glue used to old the foam together oozes out at the edge of the bottom of the holes, and has to be cleaned off the bottom end of 2" eyepieces or (hopefully) their covers.

the glue isnt dry? :confused:

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, I think that's right, Jon. This is more of a case designed to hold the eyepieces and Barlow you actually use during a particular session. I like that it provides a bit of insulation and cover, unlike the eyepiece holes in tripod spreaders.

For tripods that lack accommodation for eyepieces it would be especially handy. I rarely use more than three or four eyepieces in a given session and my new alt-az mounts lack any form of eyepiece tray. :thinking:

- Jim

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yeah, I think that's right, Jon. This is more of a case designed to hold the eyepieces and Barlow you actually use during a particular session. I like that it provides a bit of insulation and cover, unlike the eyepiece holes in tripod spreaders.

For tripods that lack accommodation for eyepieces it would be especially handy. I rarely use more than three or four eyepieces in a given session and my new alt-az mounts lack any form of eyepiece tray. :thinking:

- Jim

Usually run the gamut, low power wide field views, to splitting doubles upto the seeing limit, I use 6-7 eyepieces or more every night.

The spreader trays are not much. What I do is get a large Rubbermaid food storage bowl/container.. I attach it to the center of the spreader with a single bolt. It's polyethylene so it doesn't mar the eyepieces and if dew is a problem, I put the lid on...

Jon

#9 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Ah, Rubbermaid! That neatly solves a problem since the demo Porta II I just received was missing its eyepiece tray. I called Mr. Star Guy and they're sending one right out, but from the looks of it I'm not sure missing it is all that bad a thing. The Rubbermaid solution sounds better!

(See, Cloudy Nights can actually help you save money! :))

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

The $10 shipping brings the total price to $18.46. So you need to ask yourself: "Do I want this case for $18.46?"

Actually, I already have one of these cases that I bought years ago but I haven't used it in at least two years. They are bulky, kind of cumbersome. Why does it need to be that deep? IME, not very practical.

For grab-n-go, I prefer the smaller type of case that Orion sells. However, I wrap the case around the tripod. I don't do the fanny pack. :p

Orion Waist Case Accessory Holder

For trips to the dark site with my big 82 degree and 100 degree eyepieces, I prefer hard equipment cases. So this biggish squarish cumbersome case is in a way neither fish nor fowl. This case seems like overkill for just five eyepieces.

Mike

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

The spreader trays are not much. What I do is get a large Rubbermaid food storage bowl/container.. I attach it to the center of the spreader with a single bolt. It's polyethylene so it doesn't mar the eyepieces and if dew is a problem, I put the lid on...

Jon

I have some spreader trays which have a raised lip around the edge. I cover up the bottom of the tray with a sheet of doped black foam core and put a layer of gripper sheeting over that. Works great to hold eyepieces and other accessories while you're switching them in and out of the telescope. The gripper sheeting holds them securely. You don't have to futz around with holes in the tray.

Mike

#12 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

For grab and go, I use a Tamrac hip bag similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/crgng72

It's high quality, and the dividers (rather than foam) make it extremely easy to put eyepieces in and out. It handles 3 large EPs easily, or each of the 3 divided sections can handle a couple of smaller EPs or a small EP and a barlow. Smaller accessories, like filters or EP caps that have been removed, can be stored in the front pockets.

This is a quality padded Tamrac camera bag, and the price in the link I provided is so low I'm wondering if it's a typo. Normally these sell for $49 to $69. If this strikes your fancy, you may want to jump on it! (In fact, the compulsive bargain-hunter in me is having a hard time resisting this, even though I already have one! :p )

-Dan

By the way, I just looked again and noticed it was FREE shipping! Somebody restrain me! :grin:

-Dan

#13 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Vanguard

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for that heads-up!

Just ordered the Tamarac case - which will hopefully work well in the field using eyepiece bolt cases.

And I loved the free shipping!:applause:

#14 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Easy, Big Fellow!

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

For grab and go, I use a Tamrac hip bag similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/crgng72

That link is broken. The webpage looked like a mess when I tried to go to it.

Mike

#16 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Just got my SA case in the mail - that was nice and quick on shipping! (fwiw, it went out via Priority Mail at around $8.5, so shipping is reasonable imo). A couple of notes:

* comes with 2x square filter case, which normally run around $4 a piece elsewhere, took that into account since I'm in need of a few.

* very tight fit for 2" eyepiece (and even some 1.25"), won't fit Baader MkIII Zoom or Pentax XL's

* I'm getting it mainly as my G&G case that I can sling around the legs of a tripod (ie, mounts that don't have a ep tray).

Will post some pics later today.

#17 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

That link is broken. The webpage looked like a mess when I tried to go to it.

Mike

Not sure what the problem is. Works for me. And it looks like it worked for Bob Myler above too.
:shrug:

-Dan

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Now it works for me. Maybe it was just some temporary SNAFU with their server.

I'm ordering one of the cases. Looks good!

Mike

#19 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

the glue isnt dry? :confused:

Nope. Sticky stuff like thick rubber cement.

#20 David E

David E

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just got my SA case in the mail - that was nice and quick on shipping! (fwiw, it went out via Priority Mail at around $8.5, so shipping is reasonable imo). A couple of notes:

* comes with 2x square filter case, which normally run around $4 a piece elsewhere, took that into account since I'm in need of a few.

* very tight fit for 2" eyepiece (and even some 1.25"), won't fit Baader MkIII Zoom or Pentax XL's

* I'm getting it mainly as my G&G case that I can sling around the legs of a tripod (ie, mounts that don't have a ep tray).

Will post some pics later today.

I got a couple of these also. These are different on the inside than the ones he sold years ago. The older version I have has foam inserts that you can pull out for 1.25" or 2" eyepieces. This new one has a single hole with no insert. The size of the hole makes 2" eyepieces a very snug fit at the least. The older version was much more 2" friendly. I also got the filter cases, nice idea. Yes, the case is deep which is great for long eyepieces. But for shorter ones I stuff the hole with scrap foam pieces or put the bottom eyepiece cap in the bottom upside down to give the eyepiece something solid to rest on. I also have several of the Orion fanny pack linked to above. These are great, really convenient to have the eyepieces protected on your waist, especially at star parties. They have a number of side compartments for small accessories. But they don't accommodate 2" or large and heavy eyepieces very well. Overall though, I think the SA case is still a great bargain. (I'm wondering, maybe Victor Q. got a bunch of eyepieces cases with the wrong foam inserts, and decided to sell these on EBay rather than return them? There's no mention of a closeout on his website and they are priced higher. :shrug:)

#21 David E

David E

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hmmm, I have a couple of older ones and I now see what you are talking about. I never noticed it before because I always put something at the bottom of the holes for the eyepieces to rest on, like scrap foam, upside down eyepiece cap, or a Styrofoam wafer such as what comes in eyepieces bolt cases. (I do this to keep the eyepiece from "sinking" into the hole making it harder to grab out of the case.) With the Orion fanny pack, I pull out the foam insert and cut it to the proper length to support the eyepiece, putting the barrel cap over the foam to give the eyepiece something clean and solid to rest on. That way the eyepieces are always "on top" for easy grab and view.

#22 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

l
- Jim

Or while it does cost more, you could always join the "Brotherhood of the Faint Fuzzies" and pick up an observing vest to hold your EPs during your observing session. It does a great job and serves another purpose as well...

#23 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

- Jim

Or while it does cost more, you could always pick up an observing vest to hold your EPs during your observing session. It does a great job and serves another purpose as well...

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have a Dark Sky vest, but I never use it to keep my eyepieces in while I'm observing. I don't like the idea of reaching in for the eyepiece and getting a fingerprint on a lens, or scratching it with a pencil, etc. Also, I don't like having the eyepiece lenses exposed to the fabric inside the vest.

I never thought it was a good idea to keep eyepieces in the vest. I know that observers with monster Dobs like having eyepieces in the vest while they're on top of the ladder, but I will never have a monster Dob. I'm not interested in owning any telescope that requires a ladder as an astronomical accessory.

Instead, I keep eyepieces I'm switching in/out of the focuser in an eyepiece tray on my Dob mount. I use the vest to store things like pencils, notebooks, flashlights, warming packs, eyepiece caps, etc.

Mike

#25 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

No, I don't need a vest where I observe, it is more than dark enough. If I need a monk I have a black towel I modified for this that works great and cost about $8.

In terms of eyepieces, since I use 14" in the field I purchased a small plastic Task Force Case at Lowes and then cut out some thin wood sheets that fit inside (two of them) which allow me 2 2 inch eyepieces and 2 1 1/4 inch eyepieces or if I insert the second one, 1 2 inch eyepiece an 3 1 1/4 inch eyepieces. They sit on my observing table.

I have like 3 or 4 projects I need and want or have started to finish. An equatorial platform, an eyepiece case, a filter slide and an observing table. I have designed and now need to build a table that folds down for transport but has a place built in for 5 eyepieces (2 2 inch holes and 3 1 1/4 inch holes) with a drawer to hold star charts or the Sky Atlas 2000 and two side compartments that hold my printed sky maps that I use in the field and another to hold my clipboard and other sketching supplies. Part of that depends on my class load over the summer also. Time man, I thought as I got older I'd have more of it!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics