Eyepiece case closeout

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I have a Dark Sky vest, but I never use it to keep my eyepieces in while I'm observing. I don't like the idea of reaching in for the eyepiece and getting a fingerprint on a lens, or scratching it with a pencil, etc. Also, I don't like having the eyepiece lenses exposed to the fabric inside the vest.

I never thought it was a good idea to keep eyepieces in the vest. I know that observers with monster Dobs like having eyepieces in the vest while they're on top of the ladder, but I will never have a monster Dob. I'm not interested in owning any telescope that requires a ladder as an astronomical accessory.

Instead, I keep eyepieces I'm switching in/out of the focuser in an eyepiece tray on my Dob mount. I use the vest to store things like pencils, notebooks, flashlights, warming packs, eyepiece caps, etc.

Mike

It won't be a problem if the eyepieces have proper fitting caps , I put my ethoses & plossls in my vest pocket sometimes but they have good caps and to be sure to be sure I have one eyepiece on its own in its own pocket.

#27 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

It won't be a problem if the eyepieces have proper fitting caps

Same here. Only catch is remembering which pocket has which eyepiece. I usually go in sequence from longest to shortest focal length starting with the larger bottom pockets. Usually 6-7 eyepieces + powermate + filters + flashlight.

Eric

#28 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

If I set an eyepiece in the eyepiece tray, I only need to keep the top cap on loosely to prevent dewing. The bottom cap can remain in the eyepiece's slot in the equipment box. It's too much of a bother to me to keep both caps on the eyepiece and to have to take off both caps if I switch to that eyepiece, and put both caps back on the first eyepiece. Or I could keep an eyepiece in a bolt case in the vest, but again more bother than it's worth - for me.

I've tried keeping a couple eyepieces in the vest, but it didn't seem worthwhile to me. I can sit at my telescope, no standing necessary. If I want to switch out an eyepiece, I just reach over a few inches to the eyepiece tray on the Dob mount. IME, that's much easier and less risky than keeping an eyepiece in the vest.

Mike

#29 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Same here. When using a normal EP case, I take the caps off and leave them off during the session. I just open and close the case lid to keep the dew off. With my grab-and go case in the link above I do the same. I don't have to solidly close the lid, just let it flop down to cover the top and keep the dew off. I find it to be too much trouble to keep putting the EP caps on and off.

-Dan

#30 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Vanguard

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Just received that Tamarac hip pack #3456. Definitely NOT a "normal eyepiece case" - and re-positioning those two velcro dividers is not for the faint of heart.

But not bad for $19.99 delivered - and its belt even extends enough to fit my waist. :wron:

#31 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I received my Tamrac case today. Looks good to me. I have much previous experience with Velcro. :shrug:

I don't think I'll wear it around my waist, though. It goes around the tripod.

:grin:
Mike

#32 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

In that Tamrac case, the dividers have a flap at the top which is meant to cover the top of a camera lens so that the camera body doesn't rest on them and scratch them.

But for astro use, I flipped the dividers upside down so that the flap is towards the bottom, bent over, and laying flat on the bottom. That keeps it out of the way of putting eyepieces in/out, and adds a little extra padding at the bottom.

It is a bit of a pain to remove the dividers and reposition them, but you only have to do it once.

-Dan

#33 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

By the way, I actually bought one too. (Yes, I know, it's a sickness with me! :grin: )

But I like the way that the top of the case opens away from me instead of towards me like my old one did. Makes it easier to get things in and out. I'll probably use my old one for a camera case.

-Dan

#34 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Usually run the gamut, low power wide field views, to splitting doubles upto the seeing limit, I use 6-7 eyepieces or more every night.

The spreader trays are not much. What I do is get a large Rubbermaid food storage bowl/container.. I attach it to the center of the spreader with a single bolt. It's polyethylene so it doesn't mar the eyepieces and if dew is a problem, I put the lid on...

Jon

:thanx: Jon :waytogo:
I like the Tupperware case idea. I have a metal tray with 3 corner bolts that goes with my Celestron CG-4 GEM tripod, but it's a PITA to bolt on and off. It also prevents me from folding up the tripod until I take it back off. I'll get a Tupperware container and permanently mount a bolt through the bottom to slip into the center hole in the tripod spreader arm array. Should be an easy task to pop it in and out as needed.

#35 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I have one of these and I do not use it. It's top heavy if you have largish eyepieces.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics