Has anyone taken the "green" approach?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

In one case it was a college that was lighting their roof. I politely pointed out that the lights did nothing for them at all except waste energy and dollars, all while unnecessarily brightening the night sky. I was *very* happy when they decided to permanently turn them off.

That's pretty cool. My neighbor put Ina whole bunch of side facing lights like a baseball park.. Facing me.. I can tell they are not CFL's or led. It is true that many people still don't know how much energy and cost lighting is to their bill. I'm kind of big on all that, solar panels, etc.. Just did my taxes and the accountant had me check 2012 electric bills for the home office deduction: mine was $194 for the whole year :grin:

Anyhow I've yet to talk with this neighbor.. He just put the lights up. I dont know him well. he doesnt seem that friendly and im not that good with people. They're not the standard kind do the light shades won't work.. I just have a good light shade setup.

But still.. Those stories inspire me.. I might write some letters!

#27 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: AR

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

The city here has passed some quite restrictive lighting ordinances, but does not do anything to enforce them. Totally toothless laws. Police say it is code enforcement's job, (it is code,not law) and code enforcement has no one working past 5 pm or before 8 am. They have to witness the violation, will not take the word of a citizen. There is a light in violation shining from a nearby business right on the back of my city house.

Will they accept pictures or video?

Probably not. It's a don't care situation. If you want anything done around here, you have to know the right people.

#28 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

If you create enough of a ruckus, politicians notice. Try talking to the various elected officials. Eventually you may find someone sympathetic to what you're proposing. Take pictures. Show them to them. Point out how it shines right in your house. Give them the info about light at night being linked to cancer, and sleeping disorders. Make a copy of the code, and highlight the section where it is mentioned.

If that doesn't work, go to the local newspaper (I know - not as many of them around as there used to be). If they won't do a story, write a letter to the editor. Or put up flyers in local businesses that have bulletin boards. Create a stir. Write it so that other people notice light trespass on THEIR property. Call on them to join you.

Politicians like it when everything is calm and orderly. If you create a stir, they will GET ON IT; it's the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing. Of course, you have to STAY on top of them, because once things die down, so does their inertia. But it just may light a fire under them to get something done.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics