Stellarium: RIP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rdl800

rdl800

Viking 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

A onetime advocate for the planetarium software, I now despise it.

Keyboard navigation does not work. If there is something obvious I'm missing, it apparently is very difficult to find.

Bottom line: I've used this program many times in the past without problem or issue. I even successfully connected it to my scope. I always liked Stellaruim because I feel it did things in a different way than, for example, the great SkySafari or other similar software. But now, for some unknown reason, the Stellarium keyboard controls are inoperable!

Tried the compatibility troubleshooter; that didn't work. Tried installing the 32-bit version; that didn't work. Tried it on two different computers; same problem.

Uninstall function never looked so good !

#2 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Sounds to me like you have a computer/operator issue, its not Stellarium... Keyboard Navigation works fine on both of my systems...

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Stellarium is good on my iPhone, but I found it really lacking on my MacBook. However it is free and the sky scenes are absolutely beautiful on it. It is a good planetarium program for learning the constellations. Sky Safari is a much better program for telescope observers, and very affordable.

#4 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

rdl800, which version of Stellarium is that?

0.12.0 introduced a key configuration system that keeps the shortcuts in an external file. If it can't load the file for some reason, the keys won't work. Another possibility is that the "keyboard control" checkbox in the Configuration window has been un-checked.

When re-installing Stellarium, have you tried wiping the old configuration files by checking the appropriate options in the installer?

#5 astrogeoguy

astrogeoguy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

There's an amateur astronomer who has a blog called blog.lumpydarkness.com, and he has a detailed entry on the Stellarium keyboard commands.

#6 Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Russia, Siberia, Barnaul

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

>Keyboard navigation does not work.

Can you give detailed description?

P.S. I can make an assumption: If you start Stellarium on Windows and after starting tried press keys and it didn't work - this is bug. But you can use simple workaround - just click on the screen by mouse and use any keys. This bug introduced within Stellarium for Windows only version. :(

P.P.S In any case - where is your bug report?

#7 Jean Mario

Jean Mario

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada, St-Jerome.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Stellarium work well on my computer ! And I have the last version...

#8 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Moderators: the title of thread needs changing. It implies an official announcement has been made that the program has been discontinued-- and it certainly has not been!

#9 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

I thank you for your concern Roger but it looks like everyone responding is handling it alright.
If the OP wishes to change it we will.

#10 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Stellarium is good on my iPhone, but I found it really lacking on my MacBook. However it is free and the sky scenes are absolutely beautiful on it. It is a good planetarium program for learning the constellations. Sky Safari is a much better program for telescope observers, and very affordable.

Not seeing Stellarium as available at the App Store. Was it taken down? :question:

#11 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have used Stellarium for a while but I have to admit that the Satellite interface is a bit under-developed. I have since gone to using Orbitron, Heavensat and even Cartes du Ciel.

The only thing Stellarium is now used for is finding Polaris' angle relative to the horizon. If someone gives me a good alternative then I'll probably uninstall Stellarium.

obin :question:

#12 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I thank you for your concern Roger but it looks like everyone responding is handling it alright.
If the OP wishes to change it we will.

For sure, after we get into the thread itself, we realize what it's about and go with the flow! But it's that initial impression that's the problem. Heck, if I were one of the Stellarium developers, I'd be a little miffed at such a title, too!

Suppose someone posted a thread titled:

Cloudy Nights Forum: RIP

or NEAF: RIP

or Neil deGrasse Tyson: RIP

I have the feeling those would be changed pretty quickly! (The Tyson is a parallel--someone decides they don't want to watch his TV shows anymore and posts that; just as someone decides they don't want to use Stellarium anymore.)

It's also like those misleading, hyperbolic headlines around the net that are just designed to catch clicks.

In any event, as a moderator elsewhere on the net, I understand the point of view-- it's important to have a light touch in moderating posts. Maybe the OP, however, can tweak the title into something more accurate that isn't misleading-- to wit,

Stellarium: No More for Me

or

Stellarium: End of the Line for Me

Of course, if development really has ceased and it's been pulled from the App Store, then all bets are off and the title is a good one! :)

#13 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

If someone gives me a good alternative then I'll probably uninstall Stellarium.

It's not free, but well worth the money. starry night

#14 Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Russia, Siberia, Barnaul

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Stellarium is not RIP (official) - we published next version - 0.12.1

#15 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana