• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info Tel! One less concern to worry about.

#52 Gary Z

Gary Z

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

I know the Rigel quickfinder isn't as asthetically pleasing as the RACI, but it is quick and easy to setup and align with the scope. Easier to view through especially if you have neck issues. I use it on the 8SE as well as on a refractor telescope.

#53 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

I know the Rigel quickfinder isn't as asthetically pleasing as the RACI, but it is quick and easy to setup and align with the scope. Easier to view through especially if you have neck issues. I use it on the 8SE as well as on a refractor telescope.

How does it perform on cold temps? If you don't mind me asking.

#54 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hi Ud130,

I just though this review might be of some interest to you if you've not already seen it.

http://www.cloudynig...p;&&item_id=821

Personally I prefer an 8 or 9X50 RACI finder to these reflex types.

Being rotatable within its tube rings or tube holder, the RACI can be placed to give maximum eye comfort and, if at a later date, some guided imaging is undertaken*, they can with a little ingenuity, double up as a guide 'scope for this purpose.

* Equatorially mounted OTA.

I would confess though, that I've only ever used a Telrad once and was not sure what I was looking for, but doesn't one still have to contort one's neck and body to view through these reflex finders, in much the same way as one has to when viewing through the red dot version ?

Best regards,
Tel

#55 Gary Z

Gary Z

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I've used it during some cold nights and the battery seems to hold up...in fact the only time the battery has not held up is when I forgot to turn the quick finder off.

#56 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I got this idea.. Instead of getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece, would getting a camera like this work?

http://www.telescope...s/Orion-Star...

I got an extra laptop that we don't use that I can hook it up to so I can use it to view and take pictures. Would this setup work?

#57 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hi Ud130,

Having learned the hard way that in this hobby there's no single panacea or simple answer to the "Maiden's Prayer", I would advise you not to waste your time and money over trying to create real time viewing on a TV or other, monitor screen. It can of course be done and there are cheap cameras available for the purpose, (see attached), but the image quality will be disappointing.

http://www.telescope...ras/pc/4/58.uts

Thus, if you want to carry out observational astronomy then use an eyepiece. Alternatively, if you want to see more than your eye can ever see in real time, then try your hand at astrophotography, initially perhaps with a simple webcam arrangement to take images of the Moon and major planets; then progressing possibly later to tackle the "Deep Space" stuff !

Of course by all means pursue both lines if you like, but don't "Mix and Match" !

Best regards,
Tel

#58 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

I got this idea.. Instead of getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece, would getting a camera like this work?

I got an extra laptop that we don't use that I can hook it up to so I can use it to view and take pictures. Would this setup work?

The camera you've picked is a single shot camera not a video camera. What you are trying to do is video-astronomy. Check that forum for ideas on how it's done. I think they use a cheap ~$100 security camera to get decent results.

#59 rinalmj

rinalmj

Ranger 4

• Loc: Saxonburg, PA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

The camera you've picked is a single shot camera not a video camera. What you are trying to do is video-astronomy. Check that forum for ideas on how it's done. I think they use a cheap ~$100 security camera to get decent results.

There was a good article about video astronomy in Sky & Telescope a month or two ago that you might want to check out.

#60 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive quick look/backup tripod mount for the 8SE OTA?

#61 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi Unidentified130:

Catchy name! :grin:

Not sure what you mean. First, one man's inexpensive is another man's fortune. How much are you looking to spend? Are you expecting goto and tracking, or just a manual mount? What do you mean by "quick look" or "backup" ... what are your intended uses for the mount?

-Dan

#62 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Quick to setup manual mount (non goto) and something I can use as a backup just in case I have to send the goto mount for repairs to celestron.

#63 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I have the twiligth IImount from ES. Not heavy very stable (better than the SE mount) and i tried it with the 8 se when my mount was sent for repair, it worked very well

#64 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

There are several manual alt/az mounts available that various people have use with an 8" SCT. Astrotech Voyager goes for around $300 and weighs about 14 pounds. The Twilight II mount is over $400 but can handle two scopes.

I went for the Desert Skies DSV-1 mount which, when purchased with their surveyors tripod goes for $310. If you want dual saddles so it will hold two scopes like the Twilight, you can add that for another $40.

The DSV-1 is a really high quality, precision machined mount with all ball bearing swivels. (The Voyager is just friction bearings, and I'm not sure about the Twilight II.) The DSV-1 is extremely smooth and the pan handle makes it easy to maneuver.

I can't vouch for the overall stability of the mount & tripod with an 8" SCT on it because I didn't purchase their tripod. I went with a "shorty" surveyors tripod that was a bit more expensive, but was more heavy duty. It also did not have the spreader that the Desert Sky tripod has. I think if I had to do it again though, I'd go with their tripod.

But I got the 2-saddle version of the mount and have tried it with both the 8"SCT and a 90mm refractor mounted. On my tripod, it works extremely well and is MUCH more stable than the 8SE mount.

-Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics