• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#26 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rainy WA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

The compound of one well-known denizen. I never did find out what the little round multi-colored umbrella was for...

Attached Files

#27 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rainy WA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

And me, of course.

Attached Files

#28 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Nice pix! Thanks much.

Save that bottle for me, Kerry. :waytogo:

#29 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

The compound of one well-known denizen. I never did find out what the little round multi-colored umbrella was for...

Its supposed to go in the middle of our fold-out dinning table...didn't know what to do with it this time. :grin:

#30 DarkSkys

DarkSkys

Viking 1

• Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern WA.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Anyone care to post some pix (other than storm-wrecked equipment, that is?)

I've got quite a few, a Mix of July and August pic's.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Will you be driving in or dropping in, Steve? (I'll gladly pick you up at the air field.) Will you be bringing a spare tent this year?

Thanks Mike - I've decided that it's more fun to drive. By the time I get a car at the Dalles, then drive to the site, the total time is almost the same as driving. I have to load, unload, reload, etc. And the airport at Goldendale has too much gravel - it almost destroyed my prop when I was there two years ago.

I might be driving a new rig - I've decided it's time for a minivan!

#32 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

• Loc: always cloudy, washington

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'll try to post some pics. It depends on the quality in which they were taken.CN doesn't like my phone pics. Ok it says they are too large. Darn it. I had Shane next to that 7" AP refractor.

#33 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

I might be driving a new rig - I've decided it's time for a minivan!

I love my Sienna. It works very well for star parties - including sleeping in using a cot.

#34 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

We have missed this one the last two years. If work schedules allow, we will be there this year.

#35 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

I am buying a portable gas grill for sure this year so I only need to go to town for shrimp egg rolls and breakfast. The Chinese place in town makes some great shrimp egg rolls but, I am not a fan of the rest of their food.
I know I said I was getting the grill last year but, I went on a gear buying spree and didn't get it. I need a new camp coffee pot too. I let someone borrow mine and they melted it :-(

Anyone thinking about trying a May trip (weather permitting)?

#36 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

We have missed this one the last two years. If work schedules allow, we will be there this year.

Terrific!

Yes, I'd like to take Minnow down during the May new moon weekend (or maybe later) and leave it for the season but I've made no definite plans. I wouldn't order up a honey bucket.

I remember when we had our first star party there, in a late May, that our friend's dog dish froze all the way to the bottom -- you've been warned!

#37 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

I put in for Thursday and Friday off. Last year I missed the best night and I need the extra day to shift my sleep schedule for late night observing.

Anyone else going to come Thursday night?

#38 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Too early to say for sure, but there's a good chance.

#39 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

If the weather is good I might be there Thursday as well.

#40 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Wednesday for me.

#41 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Cool. At least there is the chance of company. If the weather report is bad for Thursday, I may wait as well. The extra day off will still help me get ready to shift my sleep schedule from getting up at 3:45am to going to bed around then.

On a side note there is blue sky above me right now. The clouds are thinning. Maybe we will have some good weather...

#42 DarkSkys

DarkSkys

Viking 1

• Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern WA.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

I might end up haveing to come down Wensday, and leaveing thursday or friday( if I can get friday off). My new job has me working the weekends after mid may.

Terrific!

Yes, I'd like to take Minnow down during the May new moon weekend (or maybe later) and leave it for the season but I've made no definite plans. I wouldn't order up a honey bucket.

I remember when we had our first star party there, in a late May, that our friend's dog dish froze all the way to the bottom -- you've been warned!

If a may party happens, I could probably do it.

Cold, Shmold, I've got a huge furnace in my camper. :cool:

#43 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Cold, Shmold, I've got a huge furnace in my camper. :cool:

We have upgraded the van since our last run to goldendale, the old hippy van has morphed into a roadtrek 190, so we have a furnace and honey bucket on board now. I upgraded its house battery so we have 140ah of 12v goodness to power telescope gear.

Oh, and we changed out a couple of telescopes too. Chris won't be drooling over somebody else's tak anymore, I bought her a toa-130 last fall.

If we make it down, it'll be the first time out into the field with the new gear.

#44 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I upgraded its house battery so we have 140ah of 12v goodness to power telescope gear.

Please, Mum, may I borrow a cup of electrons?

#45 LenS

LenS

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue, Washington

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

I haven't heard of the star party before but am intrigued by the site and easy access to Goldendale (for my wife). If the weather coorperates I may join you all and bring my new 16" Orion GoTo Dob. My 30 year old 17.5" Odyssey is just too big to carry in my truck anymore so I've downsized. Is there a point of contact for this star party?

#46 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Len, welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I hope you and your wife decide to join us at the star party. With good weather we get very good skies -- darker than TMSP but not to OSP standards.

Really, this thread is the best point of contact for most questions; it can be helpful to get more than one person's opinion about an issue. There's no registration or anything similar. If you'd like to talk to me about the event or obtain my email address, just send me contact information in a Private Message - (click on my user name & find the "send message" button.)

#47 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

There's no registration or anything similar.

Well, there is the potluck, which really isn't a competition....

#48 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

I was just remembering the wind last year on Saturday. Worst night I've had there out of about a dozen. Sure was nice of Stacy to offer the hospitality of his RV that night for music and drinks.

#49 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, it was The Howler for sure. Sky time would have been better, but I have to admit that it was kind of fun to deal with salvaging awnings, tents, etc. in the midst of what felt like a hurricane. I hope that was the last time we have to move cars & trucks to create anchor points for tent guy lines. And I was really amused at the sight the next morning, of Steve sound asleep inside his flattened tent.

Remember how a couple of the struts on my EZ-Up were damaged? I ordered replacements (two kinds) last August and I *still* don't have them all! First I received one, probably in Oct., then two more in January, but the final two were the wrong ones. Perpetual back order.

Well, there is the potluck, which really isn't a competition....

Yeah, that's what losers always say! :winky:

#50 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, it was The Howler for sure. Sky time would have been better, but I have to admit that it was kind of fun to deal with salvaging awnings, tents, etc. in the midst of what felt like a hurricane. I hope that was the last time we have to move cars & trucks to create anchor points for tent guy lines. And I was really amused at the sight the next morning, of Steve sound asleep inside his flattened tent.

In spite of that, I still had a fantastic time! The July weekend made up for the lack of viewing in June.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics