Goldendale Campout & Star Party, June 7 - 9, 2013

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#51 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

• Loc: always cloudy, washington

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

It was fun and exciting taking down the shelters before they were completely destroyed. It is worth the risk to go. One good night in Goldendale is worth a 4 hour drive each way. Two or 3 would be much better.
Did you remember to put in the weather order Mike?

#52 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Did you remember to put in the weather order Mike?

Yeah, but I'm putting it off 'til I order the Honey Bucket.

#53 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

I seriously thought Tom, Sean, Mike and I were going for a tent ride across the fields of Goldendale.

HERE is a video of the event. We all escaped serious injury. :)

#54 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

• Loc: Maple Valley, WA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

HERE is a video of the event. We all escaped serious injury. :)

That's a pretty good representation of what happened. I'm grateful for everyone's help which allowed my canopy to survive.

#55 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

And here is an actual video from the following morning:
http://youtu.be/ydJ0meVNL4Q

#56 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

I haven't heard of the star party before but am intrigued by the site and easy access to Goldendale (for my wife). If the weather coorperates I may join you all and bring my new 16" Orion GoTo Dob. My 30 year old 17.5" Odyssey is just too big to carry in my truck anymore so I've downsized. Is there a point of contact for this star party?

Welcome to cloudynights. You should definitely come to this star party. Mike's land in Goldendale has become one of my favorite placesin the state. Nice people who are fun to view with and a large variety of different telescopes and binoculars to check out. Very nice skies as well (except when the eastern half of the state is on fire).

I got a great deal on a 13 ethos yesterday. We'll have 2 for you to try out now Mike. :jump:. I couldn't pass it up because I was actually looking for a 13 when I bought the 21. This isn't the right thread for this talk though but, I am excited that we will be able to have it at the star party.

#57 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

I got a great deal on a 13 ethos yesterday. We'll have 2 for you to try out now Mike. . I couldn't pass it up because I was actually looking for a 13 when I bought the 21. This isn't the right thread for this talk though but, I am excited that we will be able to have it at the star party.

Hey, what about me? Can I try it out too... :grin:
You can try my 30mm Meade UWA...this baby is a monster at just a tick under 4" in diamater!

(except when the eastern half of the state is on fire).

...and even then, there's fun to be had.

#58 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

You're going to love the 13, Sean. I've had one for a couple of years now, and it probably gets more use than any of my (few) other EPs. In 2011 I successfully completed OSP's Intermediate Viewing Challenge (or whatever they call it), using Telrad + 13E to find targets, so it makes an excellent finder. I've never looked through a 21E though, and I'm looking forward to comparing it with my other two wide field EPs. (26 T5 and 41 Pan).

#59 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Darn it. I thought I was bringing another one you didn't have yet. I thought you had a 6mm (which may be my last one at some point). Anyway, the 21 can go in your focuser and I look forward to the awesome combo of your mirror and that eyepiece. the 26 will probably edge it out because of less glass. Just a prediction, no actual data to support it.

The 21e is absolutely huge. I am going to try rebalancing my dob this weekend for the moonlite and giant eyepiece combo. I don't want to do it out in the field somewhere and I want to be ready.

I am going to really enjoy this trip down. 3 full observing nights and possibly a partial for Wednesday night, if I can get my butt in gear.

Kerry, you can try it too but, you bought the same type last time I let you try one. It could get expensive if you keep trying them :-) Have you used the 8" astrograph visually? How does it do?

#60 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Have you used the 8" astrograph visually? How does it do?

It works for visual and that's one reason I bought it...grab & go alt/az set up.
But it wasn't what I expected and I just use it for video, which it excells at quite well.
All and all, I don't recommend it for visual use, Toms 8" F6 dob is far better in my opinion for the visual use and transport.

It could get expensive if you keep trying them :-)

Well, if that's what has to happen...I'm not gonna complain. :lol:

#61 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

Sean, you're right, I do have a 6 mm. Too often our seeing is too poor to support it. I really like using it on globs . . . it seems to burrow right in to the core and the larger/nearer ones fill the entire FOV.

Now that you mention the size and weight of the 21, I'm glad I'll get a chance to see how the scope balances, with Paracorr + big EP. I think it'll be fine; it can't weigh too much more than the 41 Pan.

#62 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

It is bigger than my 30mm ES82. I am not sure if it is heavier. My balance concern is the moonlite focuser paracorr and heavy eyepiece. I barely had enough clutch tension for the 30mm before the focuser so I need to slide my tube down a bit. I may do it today.

#63 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rainy WA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

The 41mm Pan is my favorite EP, but it's rather a specialized EP -- only really suitable for a long-focal-length SCT (due to pupil diameter stuff), and that only for SCT's bigger than 10" or so (due to central tube width). So basically, only good for a couple Celestron and Meade models. But quite nice on them.

#64 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm sure some of the light from the giant exit pupil is wasted on me, but there's no visible vignetting with my scopes and I really like the wide field views.

#65 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Mike, have you set up your refractor at goldendale? I don't think I have ever seen it and I just noticed it in your signature. Scanning the milky way with a refractor in goldendale is pretty close to heaven. I enjoy it anyway.

#66 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yes Sean, I have. I haven't used it much at night, but I've used it as a spotting scope with my 45* correct image diagonal in the day several times. Most of my wider-field astronomy is with binoculars.

#67 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well, a 'minor' change in plans is on the cook here now. My wife got a new job, so, it looks like right about the time this campout is happening, we will be moving, and not at all likely to be headed off to a star party :(

#68 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

That is too bad. Maybe you can catch one later in the year.

#69 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Dang! I was looking forward to having you there again. The only good news I take out of this is that you are almost certainly moving closer to G/dale than you are in Duncan. ;) I hope the move and the job go smoothly.

#70 Sean Puett

Sean Puett

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hey Kyle, do you want to put a 2" focuser on your newt?. I have my gso 2 speed I took off my dob that I would be willing to give you, if you want it. I do have a 30mm gso superview to go with it too. I can't use the eyepiece anymore because my new scope are too fast. I really enjoyed it at f6 and at f8, it should be very nice. Let me know and I'll bring them down.

#71 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Mike,

A question about generator use. I am bringing my 23 foot travel trailer and use my generator a couple of hours a day for battery top off only, so does it matter where I park? I am planning on arriving on Wednesday and am really looking forward to the star party.

#72 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Hi, Cliff. First, I'm delighted to hear your confirmation that you'll be coming. :)

Second, I don't think anyone would be bothered by your generator for a couple of hours daily and you should feel free to park anywhere; the real gripe is people who destroy the nighttime ambiance with mechanical noise.

If you're the first to arrive you might be uncertain where to park. My tent trailer, Minnow, should already be there, as a landmark. It'll be lonely, so stop by and say hello to it. The event location is the acre or two of flat ground where Minnow is parked. I suggest you move well west of the tent trailer location. There's plenty of flat ground. You'll notice a bank south of Minnow, oriented east/west, that borders the viewing/camping area. You should avoid parking immediately below the bank, because there are some deep ruts there. And one more tip: the prevailing -- and occasionally strong -- winds are from the west, and you might want to orient your RV north/south to create a windbreak below which you can set up your astro gear.

#73 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, Mike, I appreciate the input on parking. It will be nice to be out under the open sky again so soon after Camp Delany!

#74 svtdoug

svtdoug

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi Mike,

I'd like to join you at Goldendale. Sure have heard a lot about it and it seems like a great site. I would arrive on Wednesday or Thursday with a 19' travel trailer, if that's ok.

Looking forward to seeing some dark skies again.

Thanks!

Doug

#75 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Terrific, Doug!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics