• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hey all...

Televue has quoted me a tad over $300 for the Gibraltar mount upgrade from the older Gibraltar mount that has azimuth design that is essentially just a shaft sitting in the circular round mount head. The azimuth is a little sticky and not as smooth as a later version Gibraltar mount I had previously. Televue says the replacment is a new mount without the Gibraltar tripod. I'm wondering if this mount would be sufficient, because I'm also concerned that it handle eyepiece weight changes on my TV 101 adequately. I guess what I would be getting is the latest version of the Gibraltar mount. Has anyone used this mount or had their's upgraded lately? I keep thinking I'll eventually end up ordering a Discmount. Or will the new Gibraltar do the job?

Thanks...

#2 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Isn't the new Gibraltar the Telepod head on the Gibraltar tripod? I have an older Gibraltar and the center of gravity for the scope is lower and the alt bearings are larger than in the new.

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

I have no problem with my older mount, it's old enough to say made in suffern, ny.

Posted Image

#4 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have the older version. Coat the spindle with Chapstick and the azimuth will be much less sticky, no pun intended.

Bill

#5 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I need to do that. Mine has encoders, not sure if that affects disassembly. I wouldn't want to damage anything.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics