Wedge recommendations for Nexstar 11 GPS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

I would like to mount my Nexstar 11 GPS onto a wedge for the purposes of long(ish) exposure astrophotography. I'm having trouble finding an affordable solution for this. Does anybody know if the Nexstar 11 GPS will fit on the Celestron CPC Heavy Duty Wedge (93664)? It looks like I can pick one up new for about $340.00 shipped. Are there any other solutions available?

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yes it will fit.

Chris

#3 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thank you for the fast response. Do you happen to know if the wedge from an older C8 will work with this scope, or it is too small?

Attached Files

#4 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Toby, the issue with the later (Ultima,Nexstar,CPC) scope bases is that the later ones were wider and would not fit between the sides of the older C5/C8 wedges that had the rigid sides with the plate moving between them. The later wedges made for these models allowed the much larger bases to be mounted and aligned without having the sides interfere. You will probably need one of these styles. The early heavy duty wedge is not that good, the most recent ones is generally accepted as an adequate wedge.
The 11 is a much heavier scope and you would not want to put it on a wedge designed for the 5/8.
I also work with a CPC-800, and it would not fit any of my older wedges, I had to get a newer one to work with it wedge mounted.

Brian

#5 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thanks so much, Brian! I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and pick up the Celestron CPC Heavy Duty Wedge. It looks like that is going to be the best option for this scope. You all seriously rock!

Toby

#6 bogg

bogg

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bruce County Ontario

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

I have the ultima 11 and it came with celestrons heavy duty wedge at the time. I would not use anything lighter. I have thought of getting the newer heavy duty wedge as it looks like there would be less flexing in it

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics