Four Carbon Stars in GEM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

The CSC is predicting some clear skies for me tonight so I plan on visiting four Carbon Stars in Gemini.

TU, VW, BM, and NQ Gem, are the targets. The AAVSO has data/charts for them all of course, but you can also find these four stars on some nice PDF charts here. There are charts for all the AL Carbon Star Observers Club List here, I believe.

Just click on the link and scroll down to Gemini. These are some very handy charts.

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I just downloaded the PDF file for all the charts.

Rich (RLTYS)

#3 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

I observed the three out of four last night. I never did pin down NQ Gem.

TU was easily the brightest and reddest appearing of the three. VW was had a copper hue in the C5 I was using. BM appeared to be a little brighter than VW, has an orangish-red tone, and was located in a nice star field.

I was using a C5 at 30, 50, & 90x.

#4 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hello DJ,

I read this post and wondered why NQ Gem eluded you. I had never observed BM Gem. I found it easily and realized it is not far to NQ Gem which is a frequent target in my observing sessions. Here's a Stellarium-based chart of both NQ Gem and BM Gem. NQ Gem is both centered and selected. BM Gem is "selected" without information and is just to the right of 57 Gem.

This chart was created by layers in Photoshop CS6. I hope you see this and find it helpful.

Clear skies to you.

Attached Files

#5 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

AstroDJ,
very nice charts ( downloaded for future reference).
BTW, I like your website :jump:

#6 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Todd,
Thanks for the chart. I had a couple of finder charts printed off with me that showed exactly where to look and match yours.

NQ was the last of the four. The other three were not difficult to locate I think because they had some brighter reference stars very nearby. The C5+ I was using isn't very starhopper friendly as you have to crane the neck to peer through the 30mm finder.

That, it's position overhead, and my mag 4.5 skies all made me give up on it that night (and M35 was calling my name ;)). I did try for a little while but never found anything red enough to hang my hat on and verify. Oh well, another day.

Asteron,

The fellow who made those charts did a nice job. And thanks for the compliment about my neglected website. It's fun when I do it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics