Celestron Edge HD and Nexstar Mount

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Looks like I've managed to bag an 8" Edge Hd and now want to mount it. At this stage it's purely visual and as such I'm thinking of using a Nexstar mount.

I have a nexstar 5i and upgraded hand controller and wonder if the cheap option is to get hold of a pair of Rays Brackets?

If not I guess the next level up in cost is to buy a new Nexstar SE mount?

Does anyone know if Rays brackets will work, are they still available?

Thanks in advance

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi Seiko4169,

The Nexstar 5i mount was certainly the same as the Nexstar 8i, (unlike today's 5SE cf. 8SE mounts). although the N5i tripod was different in as much as it possessed an inbuilt wedge. I'm not sure if it wasn't also a little less sturdier. Perhaps check this out if you feel it necessary to do so. (?)

So saying it looks very much as if Ray's bracket is still available judging by the the ability to buy one from the attached website link, (the N8, which you would need, being priced at $120 US plus shipping at an extra $10 US).

I fitted one of these to my Nexstar 8i back in 2006 and although I've moved on since then, it was a real asset !

While knowing that it will fit the N5i mount, you may however, need to confirm that the screw holes on the N8 Edge HD, are still in the right place to receive the bracket ! :idea:

here's the link. I hope it helps.

http://www.buyastros...-frame-page.htm

Best regards,
Tel

Edit: I forgot to mention that the above presupposes that the weight of the 8" Edge HD is the same or very similar to that of the 8SE/8i OTA.

#3 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Tel, much appreciated. I think the OTA is 2lbs heavier at most so I'm relaxed. I'm certainly wary that Rays Brackets may not match the screw holes of the Edge though? Guess I can always email them and find out.

Thanks again, wonder if anyone has used this set up?

#4 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hi Seiko4169,

There is another possible way of attaching your Edge HD to your N5i mount using its existing dovetail, merely by screwing a dovetail clamp to the outer plate of the Ray's bracket.

I hope the attached, (old) image paints the picture.

By this means, this fitting allows me to place any 'scope, (within the usual weight/size constraints of course), on my N8i mount. The picture shows it in place on my 4" refractor.

Hoping this helps you a little further,
Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#5 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well the Edge HD arrived safe and sound so I'm now looking out for Nexstar mount and Vixen style dovetail.

Can't wait :)

#6 Tim J K

Tim J K

Vostok 1

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi Seiko4169,

You might check Highpoint Scientific. The 6/8 se mount is $419.95, but if you use coupon code ZOEY510 at checkout, its $398.95 with free shipping.

Tim

#7 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

Thanks Tim, that would have been perfect but I'm in the UK.

:(

#8 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the sky

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

In which case, and if I understand the pricing correctly, you might be better off with an iOptron mount for alt/az as the Celestron product looks overpriced where you are, relatively.

#9 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thanks I'll look into them although I haven't heard much about iOptron? Are they better in a meaningful way?

#10 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

A little more expensive, but well engineered and relatively lightweight. Also reputed to have a more accurate goto than the Nexstar but I've not used one personally, only watched in awe :cool:

#11 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well I've got a new Nexstar mount turning up on Wednesday. Really excited and hope that it's a good match. Decided to keep with Celestron and hope its not much noisier than my 5i.

#12 Tim J K

Tim J K

Vostok 1

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hope it works well for you. Let us know how you like it.

Tim

#13 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks, well the mount arrived and I hit the first problem. The Baader vixen bar that I ordered simply doesn't fit flush as it has additional metal flanges on the sides. So I've ordered another.

Secondly, I really don't like this mount as an upgrade/replacement for my 5i. It's simply noisier and slower which really is going to be a problem for me to get over. I let the CPC 800 go because it drove me mad with a resonating slew noise and slow speed!

Thirdly, having confirmed with the supplier it would come with the new hand controller, it didn't. It has the bog standard older model the same as I'd upgraded on my 5i.

So, in short, I'm feeling quite frustrated and down. Such a shame, it feels like a compromise before I've even started deciding about the vibrations of the mount and Focuser etc.

Why can't Celestron use quiet motors!! :tonofbricks:

:-/

#14 Tim J K

Tim J K

Vostok 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Seiko4169,

I have an SE mount that is a few years old that I use with a C6, and I just got a new SE mount for my C8. I put the new mount on a CPC tripod for more stability. The new mount does have the new hand controller, and it is quieter than the older one. I do still get some vibration, and it certainly isn't quiet, but I really like the ease of setup, ease of use, portability, good locating and tracking, and low cost. I hope the replacement the dealer sends you is the new one, and that it works for you.

Tim

#15 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Seiko4169,

I have an SE mount that is a few years old that I use with a C6, and I just got a new SE mount for my C8. I put the new mount on a CPC tripod for more stability. The new mount does have the new hand controller, and it is quieter than the older one. I do still get some vibration, and it certainly isn't quiet, but I really like the ease of setup, ease of use, portability, good locating and tracking, and low cost. I hope the replacement the dealer sends you is the new one, and that it works for you.

Tim

Does the CPC mount make a big difference? I am just wondering. Because to buy it new is like $400. I am thinking why not pay another $399 and get the VX mount..

#16 Tim J K

Tim J K

Vostok 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

The CPC mount does help somewhat, but it doesn't make it rock solid. I found mine (new) on Amazon for around $185 with free shipping. For that price I decided I'd try it, and if I didn't like it I could always sell it and not lose too much. I considered the VX mount, but I am visual only, no AP, and wanted the simple, quick set-up of the alt-az vs. EQ mount. Although the SE mount with CPC tripod is heavier, I can still carry it in one piece (tripod, mount and OTA) from the garage to backyard.

Tim

#17 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

You can quite the mount down. I folded up craft foam and filled the open spaces in the arm extending down to the base. Lots of noise escapes from the dovetail clamp area but I have not come up with a solution to that one. The foam will work. I can post a few photos later if you are interested.

#18 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

You can quite the mount down. I folded up craft foam and filled the open spaces in the arm extending down to the base. Lots of noise escapes from the dovetail clamp area but I have not come up with a solution to that one. The foam will work. I can post a few photos later if you are interested.

Yes please - I am really struggling to keep this mount. It feels like such a downgrade over my 5i!

#19 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hi Tim,

Well the new vixen dovetail arrived - it's the ADM one that needs shims. Sigh, this means that the rail is then further away from the OTA body than it needs to and means the OTA is then a little further away from the fork arm than necessary. This isn't a huge problem but it does make me think I'm trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

I also notice that when firmly seated in the arm the dovetail still has 1mm space at the top. It doesn't matter how carefully I align the dovetail so that it is square to the housing when tightened I always end up with 1 mm at the top. It is absolutely rock solid and can't budge but I don't like the idea that there is 1mm space. I can't push the bar back to fill the space either it just appears to be its natural home position?

Second issue, I can't push the OTA forward enough so that the standard visual back and diagonal fit. Even when I attach the diagonal directly by removing the visual back I'm still 1cm out. :(

Again, I think if I had a dovetail that didn't need shims I wouldn't have this problem as the mounting cover plate could slide further along. At the moment the shim stops the OTA from sliding along any further :(

Sigh, I'm seriously thinking that I'm swimming up stream. The mount is slow and noisy, a real step backward, the dovetail and shims creates too much space and I haven't even seen the wobbles from this setup.

#20 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

If you are interested in the hard PE numbers to back up what the CPC mounts are capable of then you can read this thread on my mounts performance:
posted from CPC section. a good read on the quality of the CPC

http://www.cloudynig.../Number/3720564

Also remember that those PE numbers are with the C11 and a 80mm refractor piggybacked on the wedge mounted CPC.

#21 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

This is probably no comfort, but the regular ota of the 8SE won't clear the base with a 2" sct diagonal either. It can get very close with the dovetail as far forward as possible but not quite there.

#22 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Here are a few photos of a simple mod to quiet the mount down. Only eight screws involved...keep the mount on its back and the screws wont go flying or disappear The bezel comes off first, the arm cover second, the battery cover third and the base cover last. I just stuck in craft foam wherever it would go without pinching anything or possibly getting into the drives.

Attached Files

#23 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

many thanks for posting that, how much quieter would you say that made the mount whilst alt slewing. I could live with the az slew noise as it isn't quite so loud but the alt slewing is noisy.

#24 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Last photo shows the back cover I made out of high density plastic...I never liked the open back.....and also since I was taking photos I included the power cord mod I did. I used a DVD player cord and receptacle and put them in place of the ever-troublesome Celestron power tandem. No power issues in a few years now.

Keep after it and you may end up with what you were looking for...good luck!

Attached Files

#25 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

It helps. I've not put any real time into it but I'm certain it could be improved upon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics