• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hollywood

Hollywood

Sputnik

• Loc: San Diego CA.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi Group,
does anyone of you know if a regular phone cord extension will work to extend the cord of the cgem handbox? Thanks

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi Group,
does anyone of you know if a regular phone cord extension will work to extend the cord of the cgem handbox? Thanks

Don't know about that, but this one works for sure. I have, and use, two of these for my CGE and CGEM DX.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

"regular phone cord extension" ... not sure exactly what that would be (lots of different descriptions). The first thing to watch out for is whether the cable is 4 pin or 6 pin.

To extend the hand controller you need a 6 pin 6 conductor cable with RJ11/12 connectors that is wired straight through (no crossovers). Many 6p6c RJ12 cables are intended as telephone extensions and are wired as cross overs (pin 1 to pin 6, 2-5, 3-4) which is not what you want.

Note though that since you also need a female to female adapter and these are sometimes also wired as cross overs that you can then use a telephone extension cable with the adapter. As long as both items are wired as cross overs they will cancel each other out (effectively creating a straight through cable).

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

How long can one extend the HC connection without loss of performance?
Michael

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Michael, The transmission is TTL and not RS232 so really long distances are not possible. I've heard of folks going 20-30' without too many issues. The thin flat cables are however not the best choice for longer distances like that (they're fine for distances like 5-15'). For those longer distances I'd use something that has a bit heavier gauge wire in twisted pairs (think Cat5/6 cable).

When going much longer distances (like 50'+, going into the house for example) many folks will look at different transmission options. You're usually bringing video and/or USB connection back as well and once you start looking at extended stuff like USB you're into real money. The option many folks start to consider is using a remote PC. With this type of setup a cheap PC is setup at the scope. This PC handles all the connection to the cameras, remote hand controller software (NexRemote), and any other connectivity requried. The long distance connection is then Ethernet (either wired or fast wireless) back to the house and another PC. VPN or other remote desktop software is used to mirror the desktop of the remote PC back into the house.

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the info, Mark. I'm considering a run of only about 10-12' from planned warm room to mount.
Michael

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics