• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

I've more or less decided that my new astrograph would be APM - LZOS APO 130/780 CNC LW II with Riccardi 0.75x FF/FR.
http://www.apm-teles...-OTA/Apochro...

I want (very) fast, high quality refractor mostly for NB shooting.
To my knowledge LZOS guaranties minimum 95% Strehl.
What I'm interested is what would be difference between lets say 95% and 98% or higher Strehl for NB or LRGB shooting? Would this difference be noticable in photos?

What's you opinion of this scope for AP?

Thx

#2 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

I've never used the Riccardi reducer, but the default flattener wasn't correcting as it should. After years of battle (and zero support), I decided to sell the instrument, at 1/3 of the original price.

IMHO, buy a Tak, it's the safe way.

You won't see any difference from a 95%-98%, unless you have no atmosphere, of course.

#3 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I remember your discussion with Markus but he told me that this FF/FR (Riccardi) is a matched system, perfectly optimized (his words), so I'm hoping for the best.

There are no 130mm TAK's that fast and speed is very important for me (NB shooting).

How was color correction?

#4 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

I remember your discussion with Markus but he told me that this FF/FR (Riccardi) is a matched system, perfectly optimized (his words), so I'm hoping for the best.

There are no 130mm TAK's that fast and speed is very important for me (NB shooting).

How was color correction?

How can a reducer be matched for so many different apos?. It may work well, but it won't perform at it's best.

I would be more safe if he shows you a 100% image with a 16803. More images, and less words ;) . He did tell me that my flattener had a *perfect* 60mm image circle

The color correction was excellent, remember, this is a Mr. Back design. The figuring was also excellent.

Remember that for NB shooting, to get the best performance, you will need a matched CCD for your system (low noise, great QE). A TOA-130 with a 6303 like CCD will be a killer.

#5 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

I've more or less decided that my new astrograph would be APM - LZOS APO 130/780 CNC LW II with Riccardi 0.75x FF/FR.

What I'm interested is what would be difference between lets say 95% and 98% or higher Strehl for NB or LRGB shooting? Would this difference be noticable in photos?

Thx

I can not say anything about this exact telescope make as I do not have one but a friend of mine has an old TMB175 and it has wonderful optics. The lens cell is steel on it and prone to rust so one must be careful about keeping dew off of it. I do not know how the new APM scopes are constructed but I will assume that the optics continue to be superb.

I see you are from Europe which is why you are looking at the APM telescope and not trying to get an Astro-Physics 130 telescope second hand from Astromart. The same problem exists in North America in that APM is not well represented as there is a lot of competition at the high end from TEC, AP and Takahashi. I would suggest that if you can possibly make it happen, to get an Astro-Physics telescope second hand from Astromart. There is an AP130EDF listed at $US6500 complete with rings and dovetail plates right now. Perhaps you have a good friend in the USA who could help out with this?

#6 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well, SBIG 16803 is $10k, too much for me and TOA 130 is little slower.
I was hoping to get good results with Sony ICX694 chip. To me, 130/780 f/4.5 with 0.75x FF/FR looks like very good match for NB. But of course I could be wrong...

#7 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I would love to buy AP refractor but it would have to be new. But there is a long list of waiting and I can't wait that long. As far as buying used telescopes that is also an option but I would have to see it first, it's too risky for me to buy something without trying first.

Thanks for info!

#8 Poochpa

Poochpa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

How about a Televue NP-127. High quality APO and fast.

#9 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: IN, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi Knez,
I can't speak directly to your question, but I have the APM 115mm f/7 in the original CNC tube and I love it. Visual views are great, but I mostly use it for astrophotography. I find that the LZOS TMB design optics give great star images. I'm no expert, but I do love this scope.

I also recently bought the Riccardi .75x reducer. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it out, but preliminary tests are quite good.

I don't think you can go wrong with the APM, Astro-physics, or TAK scopes for AP. I will say that I would probably go with an APM again because I am so pleased with the one I've got (but I would take an AP or TAK too!). :roflmao:

#10 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks, Joel

That's exactly my opinion too.

#11 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yes, much better option. :bow:

#12 Muffin Research

Muffin Research

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hmm I just read a thread where you were not happy with your NP-127 or did that change or get resolved??

#13 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hmm I just read a thread where you were not happy with your NP-127 or did that change or get resolved??

:lol:

I'm wasn't fully satisfied with my NP for high resolution work. That is not important in prime focus photography.

What I had with my NP was completely irrational. Did you ever felt that with one of your instruments?. BTW, it's sold.

#14 Muffin Research

Muffin Research

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Well with a CDK17 and a 20" I can see that it would not satisfy you yes :grin:

#15 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thx

For deep sky astrophotography, the difference between .95 Strehl and a higher value is undetectable. Seeing and tracking will blur your images MUCH more than some very subtle differences in optical quality. Given the chip you are proposing, even the flatness of field is not much of an issue (though it's always a good idea to have a well matched flattener in case you get a camera with a big chip later).

#16 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thx, Jared

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics