• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Graytalon

Graytalon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Morning all,
I need to find out if there is an issue with my "handset" or the motor. I keep getting motor failure error when trying to align the mount in the "Easy" mode. I have swapped batteries, gone as far as to use a dc adapter. I did a Reset, Calibrate, and Train Drives...twice. The only thing I haven't done is try to update the handset, but I don't have the cable to do that.
My question is am I missing something or is the drive just toast?
thanks,
GT :imawake:

Oh yeah, here's a shot of PanSTARRS from my Canon powershot in a parking lot. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Attached Files

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

A motor fault is usually a weak power source. Since you've changed the batteries and added an AC adapter it is not the source itself, but it could be a dirty connection. Carefully clean the connections on both ends of the cable and the receivers on the handset and mount. I've also seen this fault with a cable that was too long. I doubt this is what you are running into, but the handset won't work with cable extensions longer than about 14 feet. Last thought, see if your mount has a hard stop. If it does you might be running into it.

#3 bartine

bartine

Apollo

• Loc: Potomac, MD

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Does the mount slew in all axis? The motor failure can also be a bad wire connection...

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Motor failure means the HC can't find/communicate with the motor.

#5 Graytalon

Graytalon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the info on the HC. I haven't had time this week to test that out. Something about wife, kid, work, hail...been interesting the last week or so. Any way, I have found the scope works beautifully without the motor. I borrowed a 10mm ep from a club mate at a star party for some scouts on the 16th and now I have to get one...Jupiter was awesome!

GT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics