• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 N7XW

N7XW

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Westport, WA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm about to take the plunge on a new SCT and would like to get a good dew heater for it - especially considering the high humidity and salt air where I live.

I have briefly looked at Dew Not, Astrozap, Dewbuster and the Orion Dew Zapper. My questions are these:

Do the 2 channel, 4 output heaters give the same equal heat to the 2 outputs on the same channel or are they individually variable? Wouldn't it be better to have individual control of each output so that some bands are not too hot or too cold?

Do some of them automatically adjust the output based on temperature sensors? If so, which ones and do they do it individually for each output?

It looks like the only one I've found so far that is 4 channel/4 output (each controlled individually) is the Orion. I haven't found any reviews of it yet and it seems to be the most expensive of the ones I've looked at so far. Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks for any help on this.

Jon

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

I bought the Dewbuster because it has two temperature sensors - one for the air and one for the scope. Then you dial in the desired temperature difference. This means you won't have too little or too much heat.

When I did my research it looked like this was by far the best solution.

#3 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Kendrick Premier or DigiFire 10, controllers, Individual output controls, Temp sensing, remote programable, heavy duty heating straps. It does it all and very well.
One of the best features is the option to set the heat control for a couple of degrees above the dew point, this keeps the OTA clear of dew but puts just enough heat on the scope to work without being excessive. I love my Premier!!!! :jump:
Rex

#4 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

You can always build your own and save some money. I made one like the Kendrick Premier, and did it for about $100. Check out this link for more information.

#5 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm about to take the plunge on a new SCT and would like to get a good dew heater for it - especially considering the high humidity and salt air where I live.

I have two of the Dewbuster controllers and lots of the Dew-Not heater straps. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best money I've spent in this hobby. I went through several Kendrick controllers and heater straps without much joy. My vote is for the Dewbuster and Dew-Not straps.

#6 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

The most effective dew control system is the Hellfire system shown in the attachment.

Attached Files

#7 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have briefly looked at Dew Not, Astrozap, Dewbuster and the Orion Dew Zapper. My questions are these:

Do the 2 channel, 4 output heaters give the same equal heat to the 2 outputs on the same channel or are they individually variable? Wouldn't it be better to have individual control of each output so that some bands are not too hot or too cold?

Do some of them automatically adjust the output based on temperature sensors? If so, which ones and do they do it individually for each output?

It looks like the only one I've found so far that is 4 channel/4 output (each controlled individually) is the Orion. I haven't found any reviews of it yet and it seems to be the most expensive of the ones I've looked at so far. Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks for any help on this.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I use the Dew-Not dew bands with a Thousand Oaks Optical Digital Dew Heater Controller DDHC for a ES127 refractor and a 80mm guidescope...

I also have a
AstroZap Flexi-Heat Dew Shield For 11" SCT Telescopes AZ812
which works with the Thousand Oaks DDHC controller for my 11" SCT OTA however since purchasing both the OTA and the Dew shield for it, last time out for me was mid December due to weather and cloud conditions here on the coast of New England and I've yet to try the Astrozap Dew Shield for the 11" SCT out...

BTW, you live near Oysterville, I live in Osterville... Back in the mid 1960's I lived in South Tacoma for a year so know your area fairly well... Beautiful country out there...

Also K1FH...

#8 peteryan

peteryan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SE Alabama

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ouch!

#9 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have a dewbuster and a digifire 10.. The dewbuster is sweet. I've never used the digifire 10.. The new Kendricks Premier coming out looks nice with dewpoint and PC control but it's probably going to be way way expensive..

#10 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I've used the Orion setup on my ED80T and 50 mm mini Autoguider but nothing larger and have no complaints.

#11 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I use the Kendrick Digifire 10. One thing that's great for my location is that the wires have a softer coating that stays flexible in the -30C temperatures that I sometimes find myself imaging in.
...Keith

#12 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have the Thousand Oaks four channel controller and homemade dew straps. I do have one Dewnot strap also. The Orion four channel controller is identical to the Thousand Oaks which I believe is no longer available. Dewnot strips are very good.
Barry

#13 YetAnotherHobby

YetAnotherHobby

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central CT

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

+1 for DewBuster. Made in the USA, works terrifically well. I started by building my own heater strips using the instructions on the DewBuster site. But I recently bought some thin film heater strips from ScopeStuff....they are very low profile and can slide underneath the dovetails on my SCT....the homemade strips were too thick.
Controller has a combination of temperature controlled and constant rate outputs, and lots of them. You can put a dew heater on a Telrad, finder, eyepiece, etc. and have outputs to spare.
Highly recommended!

#14 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

The most effective dew control system is the Hellfire system shown in the attachment.

That's exactly where a mirrored scope should be!!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

#15 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I like being different therefore "dew not" purchase the Dew Not system.....please!!! :smirk: Mike

#16 hcsceo

hcsceo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Nebraska

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Dewbuster all the way. 5 Year warranty even if your homemade dew strips burn it up or you jack it up. Works great and he will customize it however you want it! It does take a little bit to get it but well worth the wait!

#17 N7XW

N7XW

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Westport, WA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think I'm going to go with the Dewbuster. Thanks to everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics