TV Planet Filter

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Well..... it's not as dramatic as their Mars A filter. Through my 10" f/5.6 dob, using the Pentax XW 7 and Delos 6mm's, Jupiter, the non red spot side, is a brownish cast like somebody threw a handfull of dirt on the planet. And the image is only dimmed a little. The 2 equatorial belts look really brown instead of grey without filter. One polar region shows the multiple banding better, and the other has that mottled look that is more easily seen. And then right along the equator you can see the festoons easier, whereas without filter you can only see hints of something. The real dark 'barges', I think you are calling them, along the equatorial bands are really dark now.

The Delos lens had these very light reflections between my eye and the filter, kind of annoying, just had to move my head a little to get them to go away. The Pentax did not have any of these.

So is the the BPL-0125 Bandmate Planetary Filter worth the price? Hey, it's only the price of their plossls, and it does actually improve the details seen, so to me the answer is yes.

Attached Files

#2 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

• Loc: East Bridgewater, MA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the review.
Looks like its time to start saving up for a new filter.

-joe

#3 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

didn't know this filter existed. thanks for sharing your review. any other opinions out there?

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

TV s got several filters out now - they are pricey but i wouldn't doubt in time these guys eclipse even Baader. The mars set type a-b looks promising. If they truly launch into all filter applications I wouldn't doubt their excellence even at the pain of their prices.

Thanks for the review!!!

Pete

#5 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Day 2 Great Red Spot Side, sort of.

The big spot was rotating toward the edge, about 3/4 of the way across, AND IT'S RED! Really red with the filter. And the swirling white wake stretched all the way to opposite side. The atmosphere was steadier tonite, could use 5mm Pen XW in the 10" dob. The filter doesn't seem to degrade image at all, could see same amount of detail with or without it. Just everything was more evident and colorful.

The brown cast of the planet looks so odd, so earthy, even though all we are seeing are clouds. Looks more like the photos at ALPO Japan Latest website.

The moon farthest to the left also had a reddish glow. Looking at the S&T chart think it's Callisto.

Gonna try a 4" tomorrow nite.

#6 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Gonna try a 4" tomorrow nite. [/quote]

Now that would be very interesting!

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'm enjoying your finds here. Waiting on the 4" comments.
Pete

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Post deleted by azure1961p

#9 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

It would be nice if TV displayed transmission and spectrum data for their filters like the effort that Baader puts forth for theirs. You know exactly what your getting with any Baader filter. With TV, its like snake oil or comet pills. :p Anyone care to take a guess what this is? Polarizing/ND, simple color or absorption? On the website its tinge appears to be similar to the Hoya 85B in color that I have for $5! :grin: But if it works, who cares exactly what it is...I'd be interested in buying it!

#10 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'd guess its an interference filter by the price. I don't think you can make a ND or wratten so good it costs that much. What's really interesting here is that its giving a brown cast to Jupiter as he reports. Typically interference filters seem to boost the primaries or a rosy magenta or deep cyan green, but brown???? That's a new one for me . I'm guessing its boosting the red and greens in some manner which produces brown but that may be a little simplistic as interference filters are counter intuitive to me in the way they select or suppress parts of the spectrum. It'd be interesting to see where TV takes this.

Pete

#11 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Tonight TV Planetary filter with 100/1300 Carton Achromat.

What a great little but long 4". At f/13 the planetary view is almost as good as an 8" newt, and only a single speed focuser is necessary as it snaps into perfect focus with little additional tweeking.

That being said, lets be blunt- a 4" can only see so much. The difference between a primo Pentax XW and the plossl/orthos available today is very slight. Even with the TV filter in place you can't hardly see any difference except a little added color and dimming of image.

In the 10" dob the view between the Pentax/Delos vs. ortho/plossl is enormous. The most obvious being one set can see the little red spot, the other set cannot. Same goes with using the planet filter but the difference is not as great. The 4" shows little gain, if any, the 10" shows improved colors and contrast.

Both scopes have about same focal length, so about same powers were used with 5-6-7mm lenses. If you want to see all that you can see, you need a bigger scope that can exploit the advantages of better eyepieces and filters.

#12 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Tonight TV Planetary filter with 100/1300 Carton Achromat.

What a great little but long 4". At f/13 the planetary view is almost as good as an 8" newt, and only a single speed focuser is necessary as it snaps into perfect focus with little additional tweeking.

That being said, lets be blunt- a 4" can only see so much. The difference between a primo Pentax XW and the plossl/orthos available today is very slight. Even with the TV filter in place you can't hardly see any difference except a little added color and dimming of image.

In the 10" dob the view between the Pentax/Delos vs. ortho/plossl is enormous. The most obvious being one set can see the little red spot, the other set cannot. Same goes with using the planet filter but the difference is not as great. The 4" shows little gain, if any, the 10" shows improved colors and contrast.

Both scopes have about same focal length, so about same powers were used with 5-6-7mm lenses. If you want to see all that you can see, you need a bigger scope that can exploit the advantages of better eyepieces and filters.

Thanks for reporting back, because
this is exactly what I was expecting to hear!

The light gathering power of the 10" makes all the difference here.This filter will definitely be part of my arsenal in the near future for my 10"!

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Then there's something real wrong with those plossls and Orthos - that or the focal ratio of the ten is better suited to the more expensive and modern designs.

Thanks for the 4" update. Below 6" aperture the need or benefit of filters diminishes somewhat for me.

Pete

#14 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Here's my current lineup of 6mm ortho/plossls. And they all give the same views no matter what scope they are used in. The only one that shows the slightest better image is the one with gold ring-Omegon from Germany off ebay. Think it is a 5 element cause has bigger eyelens and larger field of view than others.

These are like junk compared to Pentax XW or Delos in the 10" newtonian. In the 4" can't hardly see any difference with the ortho/plossl vs. Pen/Del.

The Planetary Filter shows the same results. Almost useless in the 4", and a big difference in contrast/colors in a 10".

Attached Files

#15 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Then ive gotta believe its your ten inch f ratio being more,suited to the delos and pentax . Id never consider either with my f9 simply because i dibt run into the issues some faster reflectors have. At anyrate all my plossls and orthos show the red spot fine. If i had an f5 or faster id think differently maybe?

Pete

#16 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

tomharri,

So then ... which set produced the better image of Jupiter, the XW/Delos or the ortho/plossl? Sometimes I have difficulty following referents.

Mike

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

OK, I think this cleared it up for me in your latest post:

Here's my current lineup of 6mm ortho/plossls. And they all give the same views no matter what scope they are used in. The only one that shows the slightest better image is the one with gold ring-Omegon from Germany off ebay. Think it is a 5 element cause has bigger eyelens and larger field of view than others.

These are like junk compared to Pentax XW or Delos in the 10" newtonian. In the 4" can't hardly see any difference with the ortho/plossl vs. Pen/Del.

Mike

#18 urassner

urassner

Mariner 2

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I just go the planetary filter. I have been enjoying Jupiter the last few days, including the transit of Io. Naturally as soon as the filter arrived, clouds covered the sky from east to west. To get an idea what the filter might do (not exactly scientific, I know) I pulled up true color simulated image of Jupiter taken by Cassini from the NASA website and took a picture of the LCD screen with a point and shoot camera with white balance set to sunlight with and without the filter. When Jupiter is out again, I will see if the view in my 5 inch Apo is anything like this. As previously reported by tomharri, it seems to bring out the browns.

Attached Files

#19 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

OK, I think this cleared it up for me in your latest post:

Mike

Nah. If he really believed they were junk we d see a jpeg of the same eyepieces smashed by hammer blows.

Pete
( waiting)

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think the best planet filter for me would be a new house with a back yard or an elevated deck on the back of my condo. Privacy is the best filter.

Mike

#21 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

As a condo dweller id agree.

Pete

#22 WStewart

WStewart

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

As an apartment dweller I'd also agree. No privacy whatsoever.

#23 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Observers with a nice back yard or at least a sturdy upper deck don't know how lucky they are.

Mike

#24 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

And some of the dumb looks I get. One neighbor is a fan and loves to look through my scope. The others ... It's weird - they balk and say nothing.
The treasure of solitude is lost in condo observing. I'd imagine just as so with apartment dwellings.

Pete

#25 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Wear appropriate eye protection before attempting:

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics