• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

According to a dealer here in Japan the Takahashi Sky-90 will be discontinued. Time to report about your Sky-90's and why you love or hate them. ;)

best regards
Chris

#2 Paulimer

Paulimer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

My Sky90 has been with me for 10 years.
I bought it second-handed for $750, including the flattener, because its front element was scratched.

It is giving me some old age problems lately.. like black paint inside falling like powder, weird corners on 35mm format, but I still love it.

#3 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

There is only one other piece of equipment that evokes such love-hate reactions so passionatley...Brandon eyepieces! :grin: The Sky 90 in its day really was a marvel and its excellent build quality, compact design and sharp optics, while admittedly showing CA, kept up well into the present. However, now there are plenty of less expensive options and even the Asian triplets can surpass this little gem(my TMB 92L showed less coma and less CA than my Sky 90!), so it comes as no surprise it is being dropped. Still, a great scope for visual in my book (loved it), but plenty of others get wrapped up with the color it shows and scoff (hate it)! As with the FS152, I think we all will come to miss it. These scopes had virtues that get overshadowed with "latest" and "greatest" offerings. Ya know, now that it is being discontinued, perhaps there will be some clearance sale. If so, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new one again at used prices! It is the original "Stowaway"! So, as with Brandons...YMMV! :p

#4 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

It is the original "Stowaway"!

It was introduced after the Stowaway.

#5 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Okay...it is the "Stowaway" wanabee! ;)

#6 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Nice info guys.... keep them coming...

However where are the PICTURES? :gotpopcorn: :rules:

best regards
Chris

#7 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

It was an answer to the Stowaway, small and fast. The Stowaways were selling used for up to $10K at the time and the Sky 90 was seen as a replacement. It didn't have the color correction of the Stow but with the Extender Q its color correction matched that of the FS series. There was an extensive review in Tenmon Guide; at one time there was a translation of the review posted on the uncensored Tak group but the author pulled it after someone noted it might violate copyright. If I can find my old copy of Tenmon Guide I'll scan in the review and post a link here. IIRC, Markus Ludes had a copy of the review as well.

#8 waso29

waso29

Messenger

• Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Will miss the little guy.

Posted Image

#9 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

The Temmon Guide review is in the Uncensored Tak Group > Files > Temmon_Guide > Sky_90_Review.

Sky 90 review

Now THAT is a review, not the puff pieces we see in the US mags.

#10 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Will miss the little guy.

I won't. I have had a Sky90IINSV with all the major accessories (FF, CAA, ext-Q, 2" adapter, etc) for almost 10 years (serial number in year 2005). It is not going anywhere but outside under the stars and doing solar with my solar filters. While it is NOT an f4.9 Stowaway, it is very close, and is always very happy coming along on vacation in the made-for-it Temba case.

#11 northpole

northpole

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Mine is not going anywhere either. I love the little guy. Beautifully made, great optics. I also have added the FF and extQ. This scope has come along on 4 eclipse trips. It's very portable in a Lowepro backpack.

Andre

#12 tegea

tegea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

The Temmon Guide review is in the Uncensored Tak Group > Files > Temmon_Guide > Sky_90_Review.

Sky 90 review

Now THAT is a review, not the puff pieces we see in the US mags.

Hummmmm, where can we find a translation of this article ?

I just acquired a used Sky90 a month ago, and I must admit that I felt in love with it !! True that in has a tiny amount of chromatism and some coma compared to the TMB 92, but it is sharper, has a superb contrast and color rendering, and the stars images are textbook ! Great little scope !!

#13 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

No great loss. The only way to buy that scope is used.

#14 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi Chris,

I had bought one of these for spontaneously gazing at a few objects every once in a while, especially in cold winter temperatures when I normally would be too lazy to set up one of my bigger scopes.
In normal weather, it showed some CA (I wouldn't call this one a real Apo) but almost no SA: A nice little scope indeed.
However, in temperatures falling below 30F its objective lens started to show SA caused by being pinched in its lens cell obviously shrinking at a higher rate than the glass, thus deteriorating optical quality.

Since I had bought the Sky-90 especially for the cold season and due to its very obvious inferiority to my FCT100 (in every observing temperature!) it soon had to go...

As you know I'm very fond of Tak - however, in this case I considered the AP-Stowaway (which I in fact once had the opportunity to observe with) the clearly superior contender!

Chris

#15 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

It is interesting to hear your report about a thermal problem with the lens cell.
Actually your report is not the first time I heard this. I wonder why the Sky-90 behaves differently than say the FS-60 or the FC-76...
May be that the larger size is no suit for the same type of cell design?

best regards
Chris

#16 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

The Sky 90 has a very large air gap compared to other Takahashi doublets.

web page

#17 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

The Sky 90 in its day really was a marvel and its excellent build quality, compact design and sharp optics, while admittedly showing CA, kept up well into the present. However, now there are plenty of less expensive options and even the Asian triplets can surpass this little gem(my TMB 92L showed less coma and less CA than my Sky 90!), so it comes as no surprise it is being dropped. Still, a great scope for visual in my book (loved it), but plenty of others get wrapped up with the color it shows and scoff (hate it)!

I'll have to agree with Tim here. I'd really like to see Takahashi focus on a larger FSQ from an imaging standpoint. :praying:

#18 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

IIRC, the Sky 90 I didn't have the pinch problem but didn't hold collimation well. Sky 90 II was introduced in 2003 and had a different cell design that holds collimation well but pinches the optics when cold. It was later redesigned and a different lens fixing glue was used in 2005 to eliminate the pinch problem.

#19 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

IIRC, the Sky 90 I didn't have the pinch problem but didn't hold collimation well. Sky 90 II was introduced in 2003 and had a different cell design that holds collimation well but pinches the optics when cold. It was later redeisgned and a different lens fixing glue was used to eliminate the pinch problem.

A friend and I bought our first ones at the same time in early 2004 and it still had the problem. Both were returned to Takahashi by TNR in late 2004. We received brand new 2005 OTAs in early 2005 which no longer had the cold pinch. It actually showed a 'snowflake' type of distortion in focus which turned to a haxagon the futher one traveled from the focal point.
It is an exceptionally nice little light telescope since the cell problem was fixed.

#20 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes, I read about those problems. My gripe was very poor wide field performance, despite the relatively enormous price tag. It is well known that the Sky -90 was the weak link in the Takahashi lineup.

Thanks, Chris

#21 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

So the cell seems to be the culprit of the problems.
Thanks Andy for the link showing the large air gap, this all makes sense now.

So basically if someone wants to buy a used one he should look for a serial number indicating a manufacturing date after 2005....

Any nice astro pictures that you could post, that were shot with the Sky-90? :photo:

regards
Chris

#22 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

I saw official announcement of SKY90 ending sale by Takahashi Japan on March 29th 2013.
They hinted a revival of fluorite objective lens scope in the future. Ok, nothing specific beyond that :)

Tammy

#23 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

link
Here is a nice web page which covers the Sky 90 rather well.
Rex

#24 gezak22

gezak22

Viking 1

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

I believe posters when they say that the Tak Sky 90 is the weakest in the Tak lineup. To me, this weakest link has been the most fun instrument in my (short) imaging career. It's light and it has a dedicated FF/FR. The (slight) false color that the scope is supposed to exhibit does not affect narrow band work, so I don't care. Overall a lovely scope.

#25 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

I would say that the Sky 90 is waayy overpriced. I looked at buying one about 6 months ago and by the time you buy the rings, dovetail bracket, finder bracket, finder, cross-hair illuminator (I like the 50mm Tak finder), and diagonal you're at $3300. That is ridiculous for a 90mm doublet. I'm guessing demand has dropped significantly due to the price so they are discontinuing it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics