Someone To Service My C11

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Is there someone besides Celestron who can check the optics and service them if necessary? I had Celestron replace a corrector 10 years ago and my scope just does not seem to be as awesome as it used to be. Maybe my eyes are just getting old, but I really need someone to test these optics for me.

#2 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Are you located in the NorthEast US by chance? "Barefoot" Bob Piekel resides in upstate NY and has helped test and properly setup many Celestron scts...in fact, he wrote the "book" on them (several in fact). PM me if interested.

#3 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Optic Wave Labs offers SCT servicing.

If the C only replaced the corrector, without custom figuring the secondary to match it (and the primary), it's unlikely the scope will be able to perform like it did before the accident, so servicing is unlikely to do anything.

Normally, Celestron would replace all the optics at once, with a matched set from stock. I'm surprised they did only the corrector. Do you know if they matched the secondary?

#4 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I once owned a Meade 2120LX3, and I was losing coating on the corrector, at that time meade offered lifetime guarantee. They took took the scope back and replaced all the optics, these optics never were as good as the original. it took them three tries to get a set of quality optics and much pressure from me and a local meade representative. So i wouldn't doubt that celestron did the same and replaced all the optics and you are having the same issue I had with a set of optics not quite as good. bob

#5 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

Optic Wave Labs offers SCT servicing.

If the C only replaced the corrector, without custom figuring the secondary to match it (and the primary), it's unlikely the scope will be able to perform like it did before the accident, so servicing is unlikely to do anything.

Normally, Celestron would replace all the optics at once, with a matched set from stock. I'm surprised they did only the corrector. Do you know if they matched the secondary?

I have no idea if they did any "matching". And thanks for the thought, but OWL is never an option for me. I read a few horror stories about them and don't want to become the next.

#6 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

They took took the scope back and replaced all the optics, these optics never were as good as the original.

This is a 1988 scope that I purchased new- back in the days when it was a 1 year wait to get one of these scopes. It would be no surprise to me that they never made optics as good as the old ones.

#7 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Contact CN user Orion61. I sent him my 1993 celestar C8 that had fungus on the corrector Plate and he sent me back a pristine instrument. He even regreased my focuser and re flocked the OTA all of that for super cheap! I cannot endorse him enough.

Al

#8 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Portland Or.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Deep Space Products serviced my used C11 in Fall of 2011
repairing a broking secondary and fixing some flocking that had come loose. Decent job, decent price, much quicker than last time Celestron did work on an SCT.

See www.deepspaceproducts.com

Terry Hannan

#9 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Darn, I didn't know that! I should have taken my C14 over there when I dropped off the CGE-pro mount for hypertuning. I could have killed two birds with one stone...

Deep Space Products serviced my used C11 in Fall of 2011
repairing a broking secondary and fixing some flocking that had come loose. Decent job, decent price, much quicker than last time Celestron did work on an SCT.

See www.deepspaceproducts.com

Terry Hannan

#10 polaraligned

polaraligned

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks everyone.

It looks like Bob Piekel is the man. For 50 bucks he will take it, test it, and give me an optical test report. He went through multiple test methods to get down to the root of my problem. He is a super smart guy with these cats, and I felt very reassured after speaking to him.

Dr Clay may be super smart also, but he did not offer to test and said that I was wrong when I proposed that Celestron did not match my optics correctly when my corrector was replaced. When I told him that "everyone makes mistakes" (referring to Celestron), he thought I was out of line. I guess we all have bad days.

Thanks again guys!!

#11 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics