CG-5 Keypad Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 psu_13

psu_13

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

I have a CG-5 that's a couple of years old that I only use occasionally now since I got a newer and shinier mount.

Anyway, I set it up last night to do some quick comet hunting and to my chagrin I can't make the Enter key on the keypad respond to presses. I assume this sort of thing must have happened to others. Short of just replacing the keypad what's the easiest thing to try to fix this?

The mount has been stored in the garage for the last year so it's always cold, and it gets used once every few months at the most. So I guess I should remember to exercise the keypad once in a while in the future.

Thanks

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have a CG-5 that's a couple of years old that I only use occasionally now since I got a newer and shinier mount.
Anyway, I set it up last night to do some quick comet hunting and to my chagrin I can't make the Enter key on the keypad respond to presses. I assume this sort of thing must have happened to others. Short of just replacing the keypad what's the easiest thing to try to fix this?
The mount has been stored in the garage for the last year so it's always cold, and it gets used once every few months at the most. So I guess I should remember to exercise the keypad once in a while in the future.

This kit from Scopestuff worked wonders on several of my Meade Autostar controllers. Should do the trick, if you're comfortable taking your controller apart to do the repair.

#3 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I had the same issue years ago with my Meade HC. I used a product similar to what Dave mentioned and it was better than ever afterwards. It replaces the graphite contacts on the rubber keys. It's very simple to do. You can also try building up a layer with a pencil but it isn't nearly as effective. Check your local electronics store, you may find something similar for less.

Faron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics