Photo

My ultra-fast method of EQ polar alignment.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I came up with this idea after being frustrated at how long it was taking to get a precise polar alignment on my Skyview Pro. We rent our house in Texas because I am only here on shore duty. We can't make any permanent modifications to the yard. I still wanted to do something so I came up with a plan.

I went to Home Depot and bought a 2 foot long section of PVC pipe about 1.5" in diameter. I cut it into three lengths and made sure each section had a sharp 45 degree cut. I then did a daytime polar alignment of the Skyview Pro in order to get everything into a rough position.

With the help of my wife I then drove the pieces of PVC pipe into the lawn until they were flush with the surface. This way the lawnmower doesn't wipe them out and it won't nick the blade either.
Posted Image

I then placed the Skyview Pro feet into these holes:
Posted Image

Once the Skyview Pro is set up it then takes me roughly 30 seconds to tweak the latitude and azimuth screws. It has never taken me more than a minute to get Polaris EXACTLY in the spot it is supposed to be in:
Posted Image

To aid in finding these PVC pipes I have two pieces of wood and a piece of scrap aluminum painted blue. I stick these in the PVC pipes if the EQ is not there:
Posted Image

Of course I remove them when I am mowing the lawn. Not bad for less than $3 eh? I put this in the Beginner's forum to help others out. I bet a few more experienced members will benefit from it too.

Clear skies!

obin :grin:

#2 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Good idea :)

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Cool beans. I set three pavers in my yard with spots marked on them where I should set the tripod legs. Over the years they've sunk in a bit and the grass has grown over their edges so they're kinda hidden and out of sight.

#4 skinnyonce

skinnyonce

Vostok 1

• Loc: ohio

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

If I did this with a deeper hole to prevent frost heave,and just poured concrete with a dent/tube to allow the leg ends to rest in.. would that work also

#5 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Sure. Just call before you dig! Don't want to hit an electrical or cable line!

obin :foreheadslap:

#6 Erik30

Erik30

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Great idea, once all this snow melts I'm going to try the same thing.

#7 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Very nice. I might have to do something similar to this.

Jim

#8 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I just wanted to make a note that the PVC pipe can be from 1.25 to 1.5 inches in diameter. This of course depends on how big the tripod feet are. I bought more PVC pipe to align my starfinder EQ. It cost a whopping 3 dollars for 2 feet of it. I will be polar aligning that mount very soon as well.

obin :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics