"Step up" mount for new observatory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David81

David81

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Spring is in the air and it's time to start thinking about which mount will be housed in my nearly complete ROR.

My current mounts are a lovely Celestron CG5-GT and a very capable iOptron Mini-Tower (turbo-charged). Both function quite nicely, but I'd really like to have two permanently setup mounts in the observatory and keep the MT available for travel/outreach. Originally I had just planned to pick up a second CG5 to get me by until some more cash appeared (especially with the current discounting that is going on), but an unexpected, albeit small, bonus from my previous employer has got me thinking about stepping it up a bit.

For now the "main" scope is a C8 but I hope to upgrade to something more in the ~11" range in the future. The secondary mount, most likely the current CG5, will carry a Lunt 60mm and/or Orion ED80T most of the time.

Given that there has been so much shakeup in the low/mid range mounts lately, I'm hoping to get some advice on how to spend 1-2k for this new (or used) mount. It will be used for both visual and imaging. Being tied to a PC shouldn't be too much of a probably since it will be permanently mounted in the obs.

So far I've considered (in no particular order):

1. Used G-11 (preferably with Gemini, if possible)
2. Orion Atlas Pro
3. iOption iEQ45
4. Celestron CGEM DX

Am I missing something on the list? Does something stick out more from anyone's view?

#2 Baxstar

Baxstar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherland

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

I would go for the CGEM DX! Great mount for both visual and AP.

Casper

#3 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I might have a timely offer for you on a new CGEM DX, if you are interested. Send me a PM.

#4 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

If you are pier mounting and don't need a really heavy tripod go with the CGEM and save the money over the DX. They are basically the same mount save for the bigger tripod. OK before the flames start there is a bigger cw shaft and a motor control chip that handles more current before blowing. They do not help performance wise.

When they come out with the integer gear box for the CGEM they will be golden. Until then I would go with the G11 if I could afford it.

#5 hcsceo

hcsceo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Nebraska

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

If automation or remote viewing is in your future don't count out the tried and true Atlas and EQMod since a computer is no issue. When you say permanently mounted I'm guessing pier mounted.

#6 Night2Fire

Night2Fire

Ranger 4

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

I have a CGE up for sale. You can buy that and have it hypertuned for less them the DX :). Just a thought.

#7 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks. This will definitely be pier mounted, so any included tripod will, most likely, just gather dust. So let's knock the DX off of the CGEM, eh?

The reason I had the new Atlas Pro on the list was that it seems to have addressed some of the prior concerns with the original Atlas, although I'd never really want/need the AZ option.

Something in the CGE class sure it tempting...

#8 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Night2Fire. Sent you a PM regarding the CGE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics