• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jjones

Jjones

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Stillwater, MN

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm considering an Obsession 12.5. Is there a less expensive alternative for digital setting circles than the Argo Navis?

#2 Tom Clark

Tom Clark

Viking 1

• Loc: North of Deming, NM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sky Commander

#3 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

As Tom says the Sky Commander is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I own 4 Argo Navis units and have also used the Sky Commander. IMO for not an enormous extra cost the Argo Navis is a clearly superior product.

Cheers

#4 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

< extra cost the Argo Navis is a clearly superior product >

Might be for those not interested in using Sky Safari with say an Ipad. With technology changing so quickly, it'll be interesting to what happens to Argo Navis down the road.

#5 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Dave EK kit plus AMT102 encoders less than $100.

Attached Files

#6 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

There are at least two wireless options (the WiFi based SkyFi and the Bluetooth BETI) that will connect to any smart phone/pad/laptop running any of several astronomy programs.

If you already own the smart phone/pad/laptop and an astronomy program, the incremental cost of getting the wireless adapter and encoders is much less than even the SkyCommander.

Third party astronomy programs give you a broad selection to choose from with ease of use, sophistication, and data base size superior to either dedicated solution (though not necessarily all in the same program).

#7 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

So many options ......
http://www.astrodevi...exus/Nexus.html

#8 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

<< So many options ...... >>

We as consumers sure are lucky!

#9 mtb54703

mtb54703

Viking 1

• Loc: Eau Claire, WI

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

I have used the Sky Commander on an 18" AstroSystems dob for about a year, then I added the ServoCAT and have running in that configuration for another 2+ years.

The Sky Commander is very easy to use and if you have done a reasonably accurate alignment will land other target with my 26mm EP all the time.

I have also tried the Nexus box in place of the Sky Commander using an iPhone4, Deep Sky Browser (DSS) and SkySafari software. Makes for a cool high tech solution that also works. After using this configuration for a few nights I decided the iPhone4 was too small to do the job. I think a 7" or larger tablet is required if you want to get the most out of SkySafari. You'll want to have some way to mount it to the scope as well, and you'll need a case that will protect it from the elements (Otter Box Defender). One thing to note - If you're planning on using a Nexus/ServoCAT/Sky Safari solution, you need to the 2 star alignment procedure via DSS and then you can switch over to Sky Safari.

All that said, I'm also working on a new scope, and that one will use Argo Navis along with ServoCAT. I guess I switched because those two companies appear to have worked closely in the development of their products. To be sure though - I have not had a single issue with the Sky Commander/ServoCAT configuration on my current scope - it's a rock solid solution, and a few dollars cheaper. And if you want to go the wireless high tech route, the Nexus worked just as well.

#10 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

I just wanted to make a small correction.

A two star alignment with Deep Sky Browser is only required if Nexus is used with ServoCAT. In the 'Push-To' mode you only need to use SkySafari.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#11 mtb54703

mtb54703

Viking 1

• Loc: Eau Claire, WI

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I just wanted to make a small correction.

A two star alignment with Deep Sky Browser is only required if Nexus is used with ServoCAT. In the 'Push-To' mode you only need to use SkySafari.

Best Regards,
Serge.

Good catch - I edited my post.

#12 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

I second Tom Clark's recommendation of the Sky Commanders. Since putting them on my 15-inch, I have been very impressed with their accuracy and ease of use.

Taras

#13 Bill Kocken

Bill Kocken

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coon Rapids, MN

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Jerry,
I think the Sky Commander is basically an updated version of the NGC-MAX. It has a few more bells and whistles than the NGC-MAX but both operate fundamentally the same. I use an NGC-MAX and with good alignment I can almost always get an object in my 27mm Panoptic at 67x (just like MTB5703 reports), and sometimes even my 9mm Nagler at 200x.
Perhaps you could pick up a good used NGC-MAX. They're pretty indestructible.

Also, if you put your dob on an equatorial platform some day, all three (Argo, Sky commander and NGC-MAX) have a mode for use in that fashion.

#14 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I bought used intelliscope parts. Works VERY well for me at a cost of $70. Friend of mine in our astro club with a sky commander said It did everything his unit did.....

#15 Richard McC

Richard McC

Vanguard

• Loc: Australia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

This thread is a duplicate of this thread in the "Equipment" forum. Please post all new replies to the other thread. Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics