Photo

History of Edmund Scientific telescopes now online

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Since February of 2012, I've been compiling a history of the Edmund Scientific Company as it relates to the telescopes and astronomical accessories they produced. In the course of this project I learned a great deal about the company, its instruments and the people who ran it, who were of the finest sort. I've also learned much about the people who frequent this forum, who are also of the finest sort, and who were, every single person I contacted, more than willing to assist me in this effort by sharing their valuable time and information with me, by critiquing my efforts, and who asked nothing in return. This is the high level at which this forum operates, and what helps make it among the best astronomy forums on the Internet.

The article, which is in Adobe .pdf format, can be reached at the new website I've created: classictelescopes.com, or alternatively classictelescopes.com/index.html, where it is listed under the "Articles" section.

Comments, corrections and criticisms are all welcomed.

Many, many thanks to those here who I contacted and who assisted me; the courtesy and kindness you extended to me is gratefully appreciated. Thanks as well as to those here who I did not contact, but who I am certain would have helped me, had I but asked you.

I hope that the article brings a pleasant half-hour, and perhaps a happy memory or two, and that it is enjoyed, much as I enjoyed writing it for all of you.

Fred

#2 joerbiker

joerbiker

Vostok 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Fred,
Great start to what I am sure will be a treasure trove of information on classic telescopes. Well done.

I look forward to checking back often.

#3 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Vanguard

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

WOW.

Among many other things - now I've confirmed how old my Astroscan is!

#4 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Its beautiful Fred. Edmund Scientific my favorite, thank you!

Robert

#5 John Higbee

John Higbee

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

Fred - thanks for doing this! Your article is a great read, and brings back a lot of pleasant memories!

John

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Just downloaded it, can't wait to read it.

Thanks

Rich (RLTYS)

#7 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Excellent piece of work!

#8 kansas skies

kansas skies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

I took a few minutes to flip through the pages of your article. Looks to be very well done. I didn't think I had anything left from Edmund's, but about halfway down, there was my trusty Mag 6 Star Atlas. Although I've used many a star atlas through the years, it's the only one that's seen consistent use. Great work!

Bill

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Wow! What a wonderful addition to our classics resources. Well done! Thank you Fred.

#10 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Fred as I mentioned to you before, INCREDIBLE!

#11 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Great! Very glad you all liked it! :jump:

I've already received a couple of clarifications and corrections, which have been checked and added to the article, as well as a few leads on further information which will be followed up.

If anyone has photos of their Edmund equipment that they've taken, and would like to have them added to the article, it could sure use them! Especially needed are photos of the white-tube versions of the following:

3" f/10 Space Conqueror
3" f/15 refractor
4-1/4" f/10 Palomar Jr.
6" f/8 Super Space Conqueror
8" f/8
6" f/8 Space Challenger VI (this last one is a 6" f/8 OTA on the 8" mount)

...all from the 1960's and early 1970's.

Also, photos of the following red-tube models:

3" f/10
3" f/6
3" and 4" refractors

...from the late 1970's and 1980's.

In addition, any photos of Edmund accessories or ephemera that might add to the article... even if it doesn't seem to be an important item, it just might be of historical value! Needless to say, any material that is used will be properly credited, both on the photo itself and in the credits at the beginning of the article. Photos can either be posted here in this thread, or sent to the email address on the website.

Again, thanks one and all for your kind remarks!

#12 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi Fred,

Just emailed this to you, but also reposting a link here to an Edmund 8" f8 discussion from a while back. The scope is currently in the possession of a fellow enthusiast in Portland OR.

http://www.cloudynig...1735432/page...

Keith

#13 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Many thanks, Keith! I've updated the article with one of your photos of the 8".

#14 Masvingo

Masvingo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

:bow: Wonderful article, just finished a most enjoyable read.

And well done on the website as well, many thanks for doing this.

James

#15 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm in the process of reading it now and so far quite excellent.

Rich (RLTYS)

#16 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for the enjoyable read Fred. Lots of good stuff in your article. You're more then welcome to use any of these photos from my Amart listing. Palomar Jr.

#17 snork

snork

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

My limited knowledge of classic scopes just increased. Very good article.

#18 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Fellows, many thanks to each of you for your kind comments! Knowing that others have found it enjoyable makes all my efforts worthwhile.

Albert, I very much appreciate the offer of your photos, I've sent you a PM.

#19 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

I bought an 8" and a 10" mirror blank from Edmund in the mid 60's. I hand ground and polished the 8" and that was my first major scope I had that I built myself. I never did get around to the 10" and sold that kit a number of years ago! Great memories!

#20 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Looks like your site is off to a fine start, Sir.

#21 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Very nice work Fred!

At $125 for the 3" refractor it was all the bang (and a few dollars more) for the buck than my family could afford but somehow I got it. That was 1966 and when "show and tell day" arrived in 7th grade I was ready with my awesome Edmund 3" refractor. Of course the presenter ahead of me was Dale Rowzee who brought his 3" Unitron to school that day. Oh well so much for my wow moment and what was a 13 year old doing owning a Unitron anyway... Jerk! :roflmao:?

I recently snagged a 3" 60's Edmund Objective, and a 1.25 prism diagonal unused from the 1960's. Very fine stuff! I'm just sorry it took me nearly 50 years to realize how good this Edmund stuff really was! At the time I yearned for flexible cables, .965 eyepieces, and an adjustible tripod. While I was hangin' with some of the best I didn't even know it.

#22 cspell

cspell

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Great article. Will never forget the Christmas my mom gave me a Palomar Jr. A couple years later got the 10 inch mirror grinding kit from Edmund, which to this day is the mirror for my main scope.

#23 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Ya, got the Jr. for a gift in 1974, my most memorable xmas ever especially as it was cloudy till the end of January!

Thinking about it, I never realized how many good memories are wrapped up in that telescope. Geez, it could be a frustrating bugger to use, but I held onto it till I graduated H.S. and it solidified the hold the hobby would have on me.

At the same time, I don't want another one...gotta keep movin' on!

#24 refasali

refasali

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon & Washington

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

The scope is currently in the possession of a fellow enthusiast in Portland OR.

That would be me~
Thanks for the email too Keith.

I am excited to read this. I will say my initial word search of the document did not turn up any usage of 'Edscorp' or 'Eds Corp' which I'm curious about. Seems Edmund was stamping products with both 'Anchor' and 'Edscorp' early on?

#25 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Very nice work Fred!

At $125 for the 3" refractor it was all the bang (and a few dollars more) for the buck than my family could afford but somehow I got it. That was 1966 and when "show and tell day" arrived in 7th grade I was ready with my awesome Edmund 3" refractor. Of course the presenter ahead of me was Dale Rowzee who brought his 3" Unitron to school that day. Oh well so much for my wow moment and what was a 13 year old doing owning a Unitron anyway... Jerk! :roflmao:?

I recently snagged a 3" 60's Edmund Objective, and a 1.25 prism diagonal unused from the 1960's. Very fine stuff! I'm just sorry it took me nearly 50 years to realize how good this Edmund stuff really was! At the time I yearned for flexible cables, .965 eyepieces, and an adjustible tripod. While I was hangin' with some of the best I didn't even know it.

That is a great story. Most of us felt lucky and proud to own any of the "lower end" telescopes of the day. But we all lusted for the beyond our means UNITRON's
Thanks for posting. Bill
BTW I read the enire Edmund article and found it fascinating.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics