• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 UK Hitch Hiker

UK Hitch Hiker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi

my Tasco Starguide 114 came with out of date software, I need the 64 bit programme.

Can anyone suggest we're I can download this 64 bit software or alternatively suggest another programme that will work with my a Tasco Starguide 114 scope.

Thanks

#2 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Your scope looks a lot like some of the Celestron Nexstar telescopes and I'm thinking your Tasco is a re-branded Celestron. Maybe a tech call to them might be helpful.

#3 howard929

howard929

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

found some firmware updates HERE (click the Support Tab) that might apply to your scope but is it computer controlling software your looking for?

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

I think it was just a primitive planetarium program; nothing specific to the telescope itself. There are better freeware planetaria available, including Cartes du Ciel.

Handbox firmware on that model can't be updated by the user. It's possible that a new Celestron handbox (the new ones ARE user updatable) would be downward compatible, though - the corresponding Celestron model was the Nexstar 114GT.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I think it was just a primitive planetarium program; nothing specific to the telescope itself. There are better freeware planetaria available, including Cartes du Ciel.

Handbox firmware on that model can't be updated by the user. It's possible that a new Celestron handbox (the new ones ARE user updatable) would be downward compatible, though - the corresponding Celestron model was the Nexstar 114GT.

:waytogo:

I am quite sure the newer hand controllers are not compatible with the Starguide. I had a 60mm Starguide and following the directions posted on Nexstarsite.com I was able to make it work but as the site said, some of the mentioned in the Users Guide do not work.

Cartes du Ciel is a winner for me, others like Stellarium, both are free. For those with smart phones, either Android or iPhones, there are some wonderful planetarium apps, some free, some cost. My favorite, favorite, Sky Safari Plus or Pro.. It's does just about everything and does many things like compute double star orbits that few desktop programs do.

Jon

#6 howard929

howard929

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

If it is the same as the 114GT, Celestron still lists 2 hand box firmware updates available for download. Maybe not the same though.

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

If it is the same as the 114GT, Celestron still lists 2 hand box firmware updates available for download. Maybe not the same though.

The Tasco Starguide 114GT has the same handcontroller as the original Celestron Nextstar GT and the firmware cannot be upgraded. However, the Tasco handcontroller can be connected to a computer ... using the appropriate cable ... and be controlled by many planetarium programs.

#8 howard929

howard929

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

This seems to be a dance between "Original" and what's currently shown on the Celestron web site as the "Original" happened before I was born. No great shakes though, seems the OP wasn't looking for firmware.

Although, there's a non zero chance that a firmware update would allow for 64 bit controlling software. I dunno.

#9 UK Hitch Hiker

UK Hitch Hiker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thank you all, most helpful.

I just need the rain to stop now !!!

#10 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

The SW was a "beginners" version of The Sky. Not too shabby really. I keep it here for quick looks, its search utility and its simple interface. I have a dozen or more copies of it I can get you the latest for the postage.

I've used it to put together some PDF sky atlas for my personal use. They can be used on my cheapo Pandigital tablet.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics