Photo

Sagittarius Region Under Dark Skies with Film !!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Sagittarius region, May 20, 2012

Pentax 67 with SMC 200mm @ f/5.6

45 Minute exposure from 2:12-2:57 AM

E200 pushed +1.5 stops

Skies very good with SQM readings averaging 21.53 mags/sq-arc-sec. Atmospheric extinction was very low and this was the third clear night in a row worked, (yes there was a fourth as well)creating a very happy but very tired astrophotographer.

Larger version here: https://dl.dropbox.c...er 8 Region.jpg

Attached Files

#2 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Incredible! I love film for pictures like this!

#3 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Attached Files

#4 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

That time to shoot this area again will be soon upon us Jim. I can see detail in your 45 min exposure that clearly shows faint nebulae compared with my 55 minutes with same film, lens and push. Your skies are definitely better - cleaner is the word that comes to mind.

Being in the countryside I have good skies, but being located in an area with a lot of jet traffic up until near midnight, I'm suspecting long lasting vapour trails as being a culprit. Not the only reason, but I can definitely see conditions gradually improve each hour past midnight.

Going by your conditions and exposure information, would you change anything in the formula if conditions were constant? My existing numbers are similar except I run 55 minutes. But I'm under the impression that E200 can really do well with shorter exposures and push. Longer exposures brings out those faint nebulae, but star colour and vividness seems to suffer.

We have experimented with no push & longer exposures which we found to be very smooth, but lacked contrast even with 75 minute exposures. Push 2 seemed to be "course" like too much contrast giving a "crunchy" appearance. Push 1 looked better than No Push with similar timings + -. I've settled on Push 1.5 as being the "norm" for me.

All this just to ask if you would change anything? Tempted to Push a bit less and expose a bit longer considering your conditions? Smoothness and less "noise"?

This is also an invitation for others to make suggestions, ask questions, and to use Jim's frame as a guideline. This has got to be "THE" target area for us film guys.

igor

#5 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

Years ago I had the habit of shooting 60 minutes at f/4, with E200 pushed 2 stops. They often suffered from vignetting, severe sky glow and blown highlights in bright nebulae. Once corrected they made decent images, but at a cost of good color and were overly contrasty.

E200 is a low/medium contrast film and this is an asset when shooting a high contrast subject. Pushing +1 (ISO 320) increases effective speed by 2/3 stop and also increases saturation, but with only modest increase in contrast and little if any additional grain.

A two stop push (ISO 640)dramatically increases recording power for faint nebulae, markedly increases contrast and grain but weakens color saturation if slightly overexposed as was the case with many of my works in 2008. I was trying too hard to capture impossible detail and paid the price. Salvageable, but not ideal images were the result.

I've settled on a 1.5 push (ISO 480) and a 30 minute to 45 minute exposure at f/4.8 (the 105 and 165 lenses)or 45-75 minute exposures at f/5.6 (200 and 300 lenses). Longer exposures can be had if conditions allow of course.

These exposures allow me to capture as much detail as possible within a reasonable exposure time. Your 55 minute at f/5.6 fits within this domain and should do well.

Your skies offer very good potential, as we have seen great results from your location. No place is ideal as we all have to deal with aircraft, fireflies, and satellites. My south horizon looks directly into the Northeast Corridor for aircraft flights on the east coast to Europe. You got to look sharp and know where your framing!

A note on stopping down. Some prefer to shoot lenses wide open and correct later in post processing the resulting vignetting. I prefer to stop down, which does several things. It allows longer exposure, therefore producing better contrast for the subject, a deeper limiting magnitude , and a flat field requiring less work in post processing. The Pentax line of fine lenses produce sharp stars over the frame wide-open, but are improved by stopping down as well.

As for the above frame. I am pleased with it, but there is always room for improvement. I am also becoming more of a fan of shooting B&W which allows more control of contrast and renders finer star images as you will see in my next posting.

My best lenses, the 165 and 200 are practically without peer and will be my primary lenses this year. Medium format provided the level of quality unsurpassed by 35mm and much of today's modern DSLR's in wide-field work. The limiting factor is scanning, which when done on cheap scanners does a mediocre job, but tolerable until something better comes along.

Enjoy the film while it lasts. The stock of E200 in my freezer is still good. I'll shoot it as long as I can.

#6 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Scanning the high res under some magnification shows some interesting star colors.

#7 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I did crank up the saturation a bit in PP. E200 is strong in the red and blue and somewhat weak in the green. That is generally good as it resists sky glow.

#8 cherokawa

cherokawa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Spectacular!!
Excellent work.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics