• Loc: Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Your thoughts on this eyepiece?

#2 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I like it a lot, use a pair for binoviewing. Nice lunar/planetary eyepiece.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't currently own one, but I had both the 5mm and 7mm and found them to be excellent. Comfortable, sharp to the edge, and excellent at the center of the field.

I am sure that the eyepeice purists will say it is like a 7th tier eyepiece or something, but I could see everyting in it that I could see in a 5mm Ortho, so I was happy enough with it.

#4 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

The 5mm Radian was my first 'quality' eyepiece and I still use it a lot.

I have other 'planetary' eyepieces (A-P SPL, orthos), but the Radian can hold its own optically - and possibly pull ahead on comfort and eye relief. The biggest challenger to the Radian in my house is the Pentax XW and the Radian is smaller and easier to pack.

A lot of people don't like the Insta-just, but I got used to it and don't mind.

Cheers,

Ron

#5 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hi Mark,

I haven't used the 5mm Radian but rate the 6mm Radian pretty high. That having been said the 5mm Radian will possibly be a touch behind the 5mm Pentax XW, but less $$$$ making it very good value.

Cheers,

#6 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have had my eyes on a 5mm XW, but I just might spring for a 5mm Radian instead.

Cheers,

#7 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I have the 6mm Radian and rarely use it, there is nothing wrong with the eye piece. I like it buy I also like the Meade HD and Zhummel long eye relief eyepieces. After using it for a while here are my conclusions:
1) While a nice eyepiece it doesn't wow in any sort of way.
2) An ES or Meadr 82* eyepiece give you the same view but with a much larger field and cost much less.
3) If you need the eye relief the Meade HD are sooo close and cost less than 1/2 price.
4) If you want a planetary tye orthos give a slight better contrast view.

So I dont really see why you should get a Radian other than as a collectible or you need the eye relief. I kept mine because I use for the public.

#8 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have the 6mm Radian and rarely use it, there is nothing wrong with the eye piece. I like it buy I also like the Meade HD and Zhummel long eye relief eyepieces. After using it for a while here are my conclusions:
1) While a nice eyepiece it doesn't wow in any sort of way.
2) An ES or Meade 82* eyepiece give you the same view but with a much larger field and cost much less.
3) If you need the eye relief the Meade HD are sooo close and cost less than 1/2 price.
4) If you want a planetary type Orthos give a slight better contrast view.

So I don't really see why you should get a Radian other than as a collectible or you need the eye relief. I kept mine because I use for the public.

The quality of a TV Radian will be much better than the ones you mentioned. The HD 60's are only good in certain focal lengths in fast scopes. Can't stand Orthos, so that is out of the picture....The 5mm will be used for more than just planets also. I don't understand WHY people own eyepieces and "rarely" use them. :tonofbricks:

Cheers,

#9 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

In my case I also have a 4.7 Meade UWA and a 6.7 Meade UWA which are much better eyepieces than the Radian. As to quality, like I said to my eyes in my scopes the other eyepieces are comparable. If what you want is a Radian get it, I gave my opinion. Some people love Radians, I think they are good but not great.

#10 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for your opinion.

Cheers,

#11 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: along the I-10 corridor

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

The Radians are the best lenses after:
Zeisses, Pentax XW's , Delosi= the top tier.
I still have 3&4mm Radians cause there is nothing better there.

#12 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

The 5mm Radian has given me the best Jupiter views ever.Even better than the highly regarded XW which I used to own as well.However, it is the ONLY Radian that for some reason troubles me with blackouts on the Moon.

Regardless of that minor drawback, I feel fortunate I was able years ago to buy all nine of them. :jump:

#13 Kutno

Kutno

Apollo

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Your thoughts on this eyepiece?

Outstanding!

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Eddgie,

I don't currently own one, but I had both the 5mm and 7mm and found them to be excellent. Comfortable, sharp to the edge, and excellent at the center of the field.

I am sure that the eyepeice purists will say it is like a 7th tier eyepiece or something, but I could see everyting in it that I could see in a 5mm Ortho, so I was happy enough with it.

I have heard opinions all over the place for the Radians. The opinions are so diverse, it's hard to believe that all the observers are talking about the same eyepieces.

In any case, I finally picked up a couple used Radian, the 3mm and the 4mm. There didn't seem to be any other comparable fixed focal-length, relatively-wide-field eyepieces at 3 and 4mm, and so these seemed the best Radians for my purposes. I have XW's or other eyepieces in the longer focal lengths. The closest comparable eyepiece I have to the Radian 3 and 4 is my XW 3.5.

I haven't gotten a chance yet to give these a good test. I'll be sure to have a nice comparo between these and my TV 2-4 and 3-6 Zooms, as well as a few other eyepieces, before I decide to keep them or let them go.

Mike

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

George,

The 5mm Radian has given me the best Jupiter views ever.Even better than the highly regarded XW which I used to own as well.However, it is the ONLY Radian that for some reason troubles me with blackouts on the Moon.

I wonder if the Radian 5mm gives you a better view of Jupiter than the XW because of the warm tone of the Radian. Warm eyepieces, such as the TV Plossls, seem to have a built-in contrast filter for Jupiter.

Mike

#16 george tatsis

george tatsis

Viking 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

Mike,

For some reason I've always been obsessed with Jupe!

I agree with you that there is something special about TV eyepieces when it comes to Jupiter. This has always been my impression as well, which explains my getting rid of the rest of the expensive oculars I had !

People refer to them as "warm". However, my eyes perceive this "warmth" ONLY on the belts of Jupiter, not on the globe of the planet. What I see is a very white sphere embellished with brown belts. Wish I could say the same about the XWs , Baader orthos and the like.

By the way, how do you like your newly acquired 4mm Radian?

George

#17 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have heard opinions all over the place for the Radians. The opinions are so diverse, it's hard to believe that all the observers are talking about the same eyepieces.

[/quote]

You know what Mike, I couldn't agree more - on all eyepiece reviews in general. It leads me to believe there's a lot more similarity in performance than some light want to let on. Brandon's are notorious for these hot/cold reviews and at the other extreme in price we have the RKE hot/cold reviews. TV plossls are generally liked for some planetary but from one reviewer to another, so the disparity in results carry on. Then add the short focal ratio needs for some of the most cutting edge designs versus the old standards and they really take a hit, even though they are fine in long focal ratio instruments.

I might opt for a couple 82 degree field view oculars for deepsky this year, but the idea of switching out everything then for delos or the like I can honestly say will never happen. Maybe I'm the odd bird in that respect - UWA isn't seductive to me . I wasn't even aware if them when I looked through them at star parties. I know that's weird, such is me. The idea of stacking all that glass even in concept is just all wrong for the way I prefer things. The Orthos are a little tight but only if I even bother to think about it. My mind seems more set up in the hyper focused/definition of small things in astronomy. The sprawling UWAs are nice but are for someone else. Still ill get a few - m31 comes to mind.

Pete

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

George,

People refer to them as "warm". However, my eyes perceive this "warmth" ONLY on the belts of Jupiter, not on the globe of the planet. What I see is a very white sphere embellished with brown belts. Wish I could say the same about the XWs, Baader orthos and the like.

I think the "TV Effect" on Jupiter is somewhat similar to using a Baader M&SG filter with neutral eyepieces. When I was first comparing binoviewer pairs of TV Plossls with other more neutral eyepieces such as BGO's, UO VT's and Paradigms, I did not notice any great advantage to the TV's. This was because at that time I almost always observed Jupiter with a Baader M&SG in the optical train. However, once I removed that filter, the difference in perceived contrast between TV Plossls and the other eyepieces was obvious.

But I'm not about to give up my XO's, XW's and BGO's. There are other objects besides Jupiter. Some of my best views of Mars have been through BGO's, especially when monoviewed in my smaller scopes. But these non-TV eyepieces aren't exactly "bad" for Jupiter, either, though it helps to put in that M&SG.

By the way, how do you like your newly acquired 4mm Radian?

As I said in a previous post, I haven't gotten a chance to really give my Radians a workout yet. Seeing is usually not very good here in winter, so I've mostly been concentrating on trips to my dark site to view DSO.

So far, though, I don't like the Instadjust. I don't like having to grip the Radian below the housing in order to avoid changing the adjustment. Very incovenient and nonintuitive. Sometimes manufacturers go too far trying to make a product "user friendly" and end up with a cumbersome kludge. I see something similar in the newest version of Windows, which wants the user to get away from Folders and rely on this awful automatic indexing instead. :vomit:

But for me, the most important aspect of an eyepiece for planet observation is the quality of the image - not AFOV, not EOF correction, not eye relief, not how well it controls "black-outs," not placement of the eyecup. So my final verdict on the Radian 4 and 3 will be based on how well it shows the objects I'm observing.

Mike

#19 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Going to be getting something else after all, as I have filled the spots for Jupiter & Saturn now:

My 7mm XW + customized barlow @ 300x, (Saturn) and my 10mm XW + customized barlow + Baader FTR @ 240x, (Jupiter).

Now for a deep sky eyepiece in the 5.5mm Meade 5000 waterproof eyepiece, or a 4.5mm TV Delos.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 5mm Radian.

Cheers,

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

There is the ES 82 Degree 4.7mm eyepiece.

Mike

#21 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have the Meade 5000 series 4.7 UWA and think it's an excellent eyepiece, liking it more than the Radian.

#22 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Not interested in this eyepiece, I had one 2 years ago. I also had the 4.7mm ES as well....I'm interested in the 5.5mm waterproof right now.....prob won't spring for the 4.5mm Delos either as I doubt I will find one used in excellent condition....prices for the 4.5mm Delos new are far too much and looking for a 5mm XW is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

But thanks for your input regardless.

The 5.5mm WP will be for deep sky anyways, as I have my bases covered for planetary now.

Cheers,

#23 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'm a fan. The 5mmm Radian has been my most-used "planetary" eyepiece for over a decade now.

Sometimes I wish for a little more FOV so I wouldn't have to nudge as often though.

#24 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Had a Radian-5, liked it, nevertheless replaced it by a Pentax XO-5 and never regretted having done so.

Chris

#25 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

:waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics